Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Callahan Full-bore Auto-lock "Vera" Kit Build Thread

Episode 6 - Our Mrs. Reynolds

Callahan Full-bore Auto-lock "Vera" Kit Build Thread

Postby QEProps » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Good people of the 'verse! I'm sharing with you the build log of my Vera. Please feel free to ask questions, I'll try to answer everything clearly enough so there is enough info here to build your own from scratch. In the even you don't feel up to building yours from scratch, I am weeks away from having a full set of molds to make cast resin kits available for purchase! Also, follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Etsy!

I started out making a 3D model of Vera in SolidWorks. I'm an engineer and I like to have models/blueprints of everything that I work on. Some credit goes to joatrash over on the RPF and here on FireflyProps, his build log there of "Alice" was a huge help in determining the dimensions on a few pieces. I only modeled the main rifle figuring that I would buy a real/replica NVG scope and aiming laser.
Image
I printed out the blueprint in sections and taped it all together so I had a 1:1 scale print to reference back to. I started at the front and worked my way back! The flash hider is made from 1-1/4" PVC pipe. The holes were drilled using my bench top mill and a countersinking bit. The barrel itself is done with 1/2" PVC electrical conduit and the adapter between them was turned on my lathe to fit inside the flash hider and around the barrel.
Image
Working back from there I used blocks of MDF, layered to the correct thickness to start building the main body. I originally planned to make the hinge movable but later decided against it since I wanted to be able to mold and cast the finished product. The grooves in the sides were cut using my bench top mill again. It's nice to have a mill, doing that by hand would suck.
Image
I was in the middle of quite a few projects at this time... I continued through the forward grip with the layered MDF. I also made a mold and started casting duplicates of the .75 caliber round I had turned to use in Vera. Since I planned on using 12 rounds between the buttstock and inside the magazine I wanted them all to be the same. I ordered a paintball replica of the NVG-18 scope ($40 on Amazon, from China) and a Denix replica of the LeMat revolver that showed up about this time too.
Image
The rest of Vera's body was done hollow using 1/4" MDF to make a shell. Was trying to save on weight here. There is a piece of 1/2" PVC on top of the main body to mimic the dust cover on the Saiga-12 that Vera was built on. I flared the sides using Bondo so it's a smooth curve. I managed to find some real aluminum aircraft rivets and stuck those on the side of the body as well.
Image
The grip and trigger guard were next. More MDF and some Sintra for the bottom piece on the trigger guard.
Image
The magazine was done hollow with more 1/4" MDF and styrene/sintra for details.
Image
Close up and more work on the rear cover.
Image
The lower half of the rail was done by gluing thin pieces of MDF on top of the each other to get the proper shape (background of the next pic) and the upper parts of the rails were done out of a single piece of MDF and milled to have the proper shape. It took quite a bit of time but the end result was worth it and still much faster than doing each tab by hand.
Image
The only thing left to do was the stock.
Image
I started priming the rest of the pieces while I was finishing up the stock
Image
After painting the pieces individually they were reassembled.
Image
After making the wood grip plates and adding a few decorative screws to the side of the magazine, the rifle was weathered and finished!
Image
I even got the hero of Canton's autograph!
Image
I started molding each of the components in late 2014 so I could make resin cast kits. Here's the first cast main body, the flashing was nearly eliminated on later casts with the addition of some reinforcement to the mold chassis.
Image
Since each of the kits will come with the flash hider pre-drilled and counter-sunk I made a jig to mark the drilling locations for the holes. And by 'made a jig' I mean that I used a sharpie and put a bunch of marks on my shop door frame.
Image
With all of the pieces finally molded, here's the nearly complete kit! 12 rounds of ammo, 14 major pieces to assemble, a small bag of hardware for some of the assembly in case you want to be able to take it apart again for shipping or travel, and a 4 page guide for assembly.
Image
Image
Completed resin kit on the top and the original on the bottom. I'm waiting for the scope and dual beam lasers to be delivered before I weather the resin Vera and ship it to my customer. Picked up one of the lasers for myself too.
Image
The scope and laser are an airsoft replica of the PVS-18 and PEQ-15 that I purchased from Amazon. (Scope& Laser)
QEProps
Reaver
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Callahan Full-bore Auto-lock "Vera" Kit Build Thread

Postby pennausamike » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Bravo, nicely done.
Vera was a project I originally "meant" to do, but could never make the time.
So, congrats on all your hard work.

Mike
User avatar
pennausamike
Browncoat
 
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Pennsylvania, USA


Return to Our Mrs. Reynolds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest