So, when does the casting begin????? :D
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Re: Vera; Showtime Gun

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:42 am

Simon,

I'll chime in with this.

I think you're reading too much into Rob's comments. I believe he was pointing out that the piece is from 'Showtime' and not Firefly.
He's right.

Rob knows what the real Vera's acquisition took. It was a long process, literally years, and very involved.
Rob has always been a tireless supporter of my efforts to archive the show and 'mean spirited' is not something you would ever hear in connection with his name.
You'll see that on the RPF thread he even takes the trouble to tell you why the piece was preserved so well, and even how to fix it.
And, trust me, he knows what he's talking about. You clearly don't know who he is...

Rob is one of the kindest and most generous people I've ever met.
He is also a personal friend.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 am

Congrats Birdie! Looks like you'll soon have the third Callahan Fullbore in existence.

You DO realize that you have to name her Flo, right? Then you, me and Badger have to open up a diner somewhere and call it "Mal's". 8-)
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Birdie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Karl,

I think Rob took Noeland's thread title on the RPF way too literally. Yeah, he probably should have put Vera in inverted commas, but as he pointed out in that thread, anyone who checked out the listing or knows anything about the history of the prop would know that this was not a Firefly used piece.

Rob's comments about customs would have put the fear of god into me had it not been for the fact that I already had the piece in hand when he posted them. I hadn't intended to post anything about aquiring this piece until it was in hand, so as to avoid such speculation, and I never meant to show it off as anything other than a base for building a Vera replica, but hey, I got outed.

I'll take your word for it that Rob is a cool guy. No harm done.
Birdie
Blue Hand guy

Postby Joatrash » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

I just noticed something. The magwell seems to be thinner (or... actually "lower") than on Vera (and as a consequence, Alice). I've noticed that on certain pictures from Showtime that part does seem different between guns. The magwell on Vera is pretty chunky. Maybe some were changed for practical reasons when firing them?

It's gonna be interesting to see how the build shapes up. The muzzle/flash hider is notoriously difficult to get done as anyone that has started a Vera will tell you. (I'm still trying to get a couple made for folks.) The shell rack that goes in the stock shouldn't be too difficult (especially if you do it in styrene) but there are a couple of odd angles in it. Then there are the scopes...

Gonna be real cool to follow your progress on her.
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:12 pm

I can explain the mystery

Vera has two Mag wells.
One for the dummy magazine containing the brass shells, one for the real Saiga magazine.
The 2nd one has fake shells on the outside. Look at the pic of Vera in her travel box on the archive site. She travels with both mag wells. the real shotgun magazine, the magazine which holds the brass shells, plus the gas nozzle used for when she's 'Firing'.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Goodwolf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Joatrash wrote:You DO realize that you have to name her Flo, right? Then you, me and Badger have to open up a diner somewhere and call it "Mal's". 8-)

Oof...

But I hear tell that you can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Birdie » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Would I be right in thinking that the flash supressor on Vera fitted over the original muzzle (silencer?) on the Showtime gun by removing the barrel? Or did that part screw off from the barrel? Either way, that's not an option on this rubber stunt.
Birdie
Blue Hand guy

Postby Joatrash » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:06 pm

I got the impression that was how it was done but that's just from looking at photos. Poor Badger's gonna get badgered by lots of questions now. :lol:

My flash hider goes right over the silencer I made... held on by good ol' 2-part Epoxy!
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:31 pm

If it's a solid rubber casting, I can't see how it's relevant :lol:

Seriously, I simply don't know, I haven't dismantled Vera.
I would imagine they were more likely to fit something over the existing barrel, than cut it off.

I do have the separate muzzle brake used in OMR, but since that went on to a gas solenoid SFX gun I don't think it'll be much help...

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

PreviousNext

Return to Our Mrs. Reynolds