Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Putting Vera together -Finished, with pics!

Episode 6 - Our Mrs. Reynolds

Putting Vera together -Finished, with pics!

Postby Birdie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:20 am

Well, I promised a progress thread on my Vera replica build, so here goes:

I now have most of the parts I needed to collect together, before starting the real work (though I've done a bit...)

Here are the parts so far, just laid out on the floor in rough correlation to the prop layout:

The flash hider is a Zprinter 650 RP 3d print (thanks to various members of the Sketchup & Shapeways forums for helping with the modelling, and West Wirral Works for the print...)

The D-Bal laser is a fake - a replica that is a actually a battery holder for airsoft. Needs some mods, specifically removing the actual battery case that makes it too large. Can't really complain for $25.

The larger scope is a TGS PV-14 that I'm going to mod to look more like the correct PVS-18.

Shells are Magtech 12 guauge shotshells. I have modelled the actual round, currently waiting for the mold to set before casting in resin.

I've repaired the broken stock, needs a lot of sanding down, and drilled out the holes in the stock that were filled for the stunt cast.

Started work on the top rail for the scopes (not pictured)

Hoping to get some decent progress over Xmas.
Last edited by Birdie on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdie
Blue Hand guy

Re: Putting Vera together

Postby pennausamike » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 am

VERY....Cool!

Looks like finishing the flash-hider will be the greatest challenge for you.
Wishing you continued success!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:12 pm

Good start!

If it were me, I would worry about the integrity of the broken stock. I don't know if a local repair will last. Especially if they're rubber or resin parts.
Since the stock's two side pieces are fairly simple 2D shapes, you may want to consider having new ones cut from flat steel or ali stock.

Merely suggestion, not criticism :D

Cheers,

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:46 pm

The stock was one of the parts that gave my machinist some trouble, partly because I wanted it in aluminum and it's very thin in a few places. My stock is actually four separate pieces (not counting the buttplate) that were pinned and glued together.

Maybe I overcomplicated the blueprints from staring at the photos for so long but the angle ("elbow") area seems to be fairly elaborate in the way it's designed. From the photos, the front and back portions of the stock seem to be different widths. I'm aware that this may be an optical illusion caused by the FOV of the camera but the buttplate as well as the attachment block on the rifle seemed to support my theory. I guess only Badger cal tell the truth of the matter, haha.

Here's of top view of the way I drew it:
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Birdie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:26 am

Didn't get nearly as much done on this over Christmas and New Year due to calamatous family events followed by extreme sickness, but I do have some progress to report.

I've been working on the stock section. I've repaired the original broken piece to my eventual satisfaction. Had to take a few liberties, but overall it's comeout pretty nice and sturdy.

I next sculpted and cast the bullet tips for the shells. Not entireley happy with how these worked out, so will prolly go back and redo them. The Shell holder was scratchbuilt from styrene sheet and Milliput epoxy, in two sections.

The finished piece:

Birdie
Blue Hand guy

Postby Birdie » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 pm

It's been emotional, but my Vera is finally done!

I ended up scratch-building some modifications to the PVS-14 airsoft scope, to make it more closeley resemble the original PVS-18. The scope mount and rail were also scratch built.

So, pictures!

Birdie
Blue Hand guy

Re: Putting Vera together -Finished, with pics!

Postby keelhauler » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Shiny! Looks really great! Nice job!
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby punctated » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:46 pm

Well Done!!!
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:25 am

That's a great sculpt. Do you have a proper place on your wall to hang it, or perhaps behind a curtain on your bunk?
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Return to Our Mrs. Reynolds