Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Vera!

Episode 6 - Our Mrs. Reynolds

Re: Vera!

Postby jason1976 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:24 am

Hey, that's cool, it's your files. and your shapeways account. It was just a thought.

But actually, I'm more then half blind, and awful at building stuff with a dremel, and even I have built some of those parts for friend before.

I really liked the mag well, as you call it, and to be honest, after you posted pictures of your planes on your site, I took them into Photoshope, broke that part down into layers, and built it uip out of styrene. It didn't turn out perfect, the first time, but I just gave that one to a freind, along with the files, incase he wanted to take a crake at it. I'm going to make up new plans, and start from scratch, and do it again, and I'm pretty sure I can nail it this time. Same with the Magazine/clip. And I have done things way more complex then the grip frame. I'm not saying I could nail it 100% but I could get it to look better then a nerf gun, like some folk are using. (not that I'm against the nerf thing, I actually love those builds.)

But like I said, it's your stuff, and yoru account, so do what you like. I just was throwing the thought out there. (You don't know unless you ask. right?)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:45 am

jason1976 wrote:Hey, that's cool, it's your files. and your shapeways account. It was just a thought.

Alrighty, let's deal with this one first, shall we? You seem to be implying that I am not willing to help at all, which is certainly not the case. I stated that I am not keen on doing stuff that others "want" when they end up not wanting it. It would seem that, as is often the case, you want others do put in a lot of effort and time at your whim so you can decide later if it's what you were after or not (or if you can afford it). You've been called on this before both here and on the RPF and quite honestly it is rather uninspiring. These days I get maybe 5 hours a week average "hobby time" and I have to make each minute count.

jason1976 wrote:But actually, I'm more then half blind, and awful at building stuff with a dremel, and even I have built some of those parts for friend before.

I'm sure we would all like to see photos of those parts! With the difficulty of building Vera, any attempt, perfect or not, is interesting to see.

Also, I should have been more clear when I said certain parts would be "hard" to do with a dremel. Of course, the entirety of Vera can be made out of styrene if one wanted to. (I entertained the idea for a long time, actually.) In addition, using a dremel implies something other (and harder to work with) than styrene. (I use my dremel for styrene too, but very seldom because often it's too rough and a light touch with hand tools is better.) I consider myself (quite immodestly) a fair hand at building things these days and if you've been around for a while you've seen some nicely complex work come from my bench, so I feel that I more or less know what I'm talking about (even though I'm quite far behind the insane skills of a few others here and on the RPF that do prop work for a living). Personally, I wouldn't build something like the stock out of only styrene as it would be rather flimsy and delicate.

I should have said that those parts would be hard to do if you wanted high-finish pieces that rival the quality of the machined original parts. (Hell, even MY machined parts are a lot less nice than the real ones!) Incidentally, 3d printed parts would be close to machined parts in quality, but only in plastic. (You can machine plastic of course and even print metal, but printed metal is insanely expensive... 10X the cost easy.)

jason1976 wrote:I really liked the mag well, as you call it, and to be honest, after you posted pictures of your planes on your site, I took them into Photoshope, broke that part down into layers, and built it uip out of styrene.

I'm glad if my (painstakingly researched) drawings were of help and it'd be great to see some photos of the build or the finished piece. You often intimate that it's "easy" and "cheap" to do things when asking for advice and help (and when you criticize what things cost to do), yet we rarely (if ever?) see examples of it, or see you reciprocating by showing how YOU do stuff. It's always a lot of "take" but very little "give". If I'm being unfair here gang, please let me know.

jason1976 wrote: I'm not saying I could nail it 100% but I could get it to look better then a nerf gun, like some folk are using. (not that I'm against the nerf thing, I actually love those builds.)

I'm sure you could and I think we'd all like to see it!

jason1976 wrote:But like I said, it's your stuff, and yoru account, so do what you like. I just was throwing the thought out there. (You don't know unless you ask. right?)

Indeed. If you or anyone else feel the need for 3d printed parts to build up a Saiga replica with machined scifi parts they are free to send me a PM. Those front pieces you speak of can be arranged but it will likely cost several hundred dollars to print them all as they are pretty big and chunky pieces that cannot easily be completely optimized in regards to material thickness and volume (which is the thing that drives up printing cost). I'm more than willing to help as long as my efforts are not wasted.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:45 pm

I really don't understand your hostility here. I just posted an idea, in another thread. The idea was that you sell some of the main parts of Vera, separately. You clearly misunderstood what I mint, and too what I said to mean, that I was interested in the parts for myself, and that I wanted them as one big kit. Then you post that info, in a way, that suggested to me that you had no intention of moving forward with it. Since I took what you said, as you declining to take on a project that most folks would not be able to afford, I simply was trying to thank you for looking for us, and show that I understood why you might not want to take it on, and to offer encouragement to those that might want to try to make some of the parts on there own. You again misunderstand me, and go on the attack, putting me down, and the way I do things. I didn't personally ask you for anything, and I don't owe you anything. I'm sorry, you think the world does, but that's not my problem. You do very nice work, and I love that you share that work for use, but I can choose what I spend my own money on, and if I don't want to spend it on one of your projects that is my right.

Folks tell me that I have awful spelling, and grammar. I do my very best in those areas, but I am disabled, and my very best, is often not good enough for other folks to read, and understand. (Hey it all makes since to me. lol) Anyways, that may be why you have a hard time understanding me.

What ever the case, I truly ment no offence at all, but you have clearly taken one. I am sorry if I have offended you, but I don't feel your attack was necessary at all. If you can't read my posts, with out attacking me, then please just don't read my posts. In other wards, perhaps we should just "Ignore each other, until we go away" as it seams we don't really understand each others way of thinking.
Last edited by jason1976 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10 pm

Sorry for the late reply on this. I've been traveling and just now have access to a computer again.

Out of respect for Jason, I've taken my reply to him via PM. No need to drag down this thread with what is clearly a big issue of miscommunication.

If anyone needs help with making Vera, 3d printed or otherwise, throw in a post here or send a PM. let the discussion continue...
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Wesclone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I've been thinking about this. It would take a while to accomplish, but I think there is a compromise to be had here. Again, it would be time consuming, but I think it could be doable and affordable for everyone: Vera - part of the month club. Or something to that effect. Doing Vera in one shot outright would be ideal, fut for some, cost prohibitive. What about ordering a part from Shapeways, casting it up and selling it for a month or so, wash, rinse, repeat. This way, people would be able to buy a part here and there without breaking the bank and e runs would be smaller and more manageable. Thoughts?

Wes
Wesclone
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 pm

That's a really good idea.

B
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am

I think it's a great idea as well. So many fans are dirt poor or out of work, but I'm sure they could scrimp and save for a part at a time.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:57 am

Not a bad idea at all... I don't think I could CAST pieces, but setting up prints for people to order might be doable. Lemme see what happens if I optimize one piece for printing... stay tuned!
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:40 am

Wesclone wrote:I've been thinking about this. It would take a while to accomplish, but I think there is a compromise to be had here. Again, it would be time consuming, but I think it could be doable and affordable for everyone: Vera - part of the month club. Or something to that effect. Doing Vera in one shot outright would be ideal, fut for some, cost prohibitive. What about ordering a part from Shapeways, casting it up and selling it for a month or so, wash, rinse, repeat. This way, people would be able to buy a part here and there without breaking the bank and e runs would be smaller and more manageable. Thoughts?

Wes

Well, that was pretty much my point in the first place, when I first posted it, over in the lassetter thread. . That folks could buy only the parts they want, or need, one at a time, instead of one huge kit, all at once. (don't think i could have said that any clearer.) But hey, whatever. I really ope this works out for yall. :)

And I have replied, via PM as well, to the "Miscommunication" from the other day.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby asylum23 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 pm

I would definately be interested in the part of the month club. It would be a huge bonus if, with minor modification, it could be used to create a working airsoft model.
There has been a firefly/serenity based airsoft larp that I have been attending for years now, I would love to field a replica. www.freefallgame.com
asylum23
Alliance soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Our Mrs. Reynolds