Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Vera!

Episode 6 - Our Mrs. Reynolds

Re: Vera!

Postby Joatrash » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:29 pm

OK, I've done some testing. A typical piece would cost around $130-160 to print. For example, the muzzle would be about 140, the first grey/purple front barrel block (where the barrel folds in Showtime) would be about 160 and the magwell would be around 130. Those figures are based on quick tests... I might be able to get them down a bit with further optimization.

I'd have to optimize each piece as I go. Some parts would benefit from being filled since I will try to make them hollow. Also, all the parts would need to be sprayed with thick filler-primer and then sanded, to seal the pores and smooth out any print lines (which become more evident when printing larger files it seems- the parts in the Lassetter kit are smoother than the some others I just did). Also, since I would not be printing them myself, I couldn't say how well the prints turned out. Thick parts like this should not be a problem at all but I wouldn't be able to offer any "real world" quality control...

If 4+ people got onboard with a solid (pun intended) intent to take on the project, we could make it happen.

Thoughts?
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Wesclone » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:21 pm

Joe,

That's not a bad deal. I can't believe noone has posted on this yet. We all knew this would be an expensive undertaking, but I would suggest rather than a "part of the month" (due to pricing) that it just be part by part and do a "last call" for each part to give people a chance to get the parts they need at their own pace. Honestly, even thought the prices aren't bad, I couldn't afford $150-200 each month for a Vera.

Wes
Wesclone
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:43 pm

I think the way to go might be for one person who can afford it to buy one of each part. Then, using donor labour, to fine finish each part and mould it, then sell good resin castings.

The person who bought the printed parts gets them nicely finished, everyone gets cheapish castings, hopefully it's a win - win.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah, I've been discussing that option back and forth with a couple people for a long time now. If they were printed in the same material as the Jaynestown holdout gun I did, the parts would need very little prep. It still a boatload of work. 16+ molds (even without details like the trigger, wood grips and so on). If an expert caster (whom I trusted) were willing to take it on I'd be up for giving out the files and partnering up, but someone would still have to front the print costs. It would be a monumental undertaking as far as replica kits goes, but it's still have to be worthwhile for someone to do all that work.

The irony is that a few years ago I checked what it would cost to have a local company to cast my entire replica in 1-3 parts. It was crazy expensive, but less that $1K... and less than half of what a 3d print would cost...
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:51 pm

There's some fearsome talent on this board.

Where there's a will.....
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:17 pm

Indeed. I've been talkin' with some of that talent too. ;) And if anyone else is game, my PM box is open...
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby zaebra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:50 pm

has anyone looked at the solidoodle 3d printer? it's only $500, and looks like it produces pretty good quality stuff.

http://www.gizmag.com/solidoodle-3d-printer/22326/

at $500, someone could very realistically sell parts for $10~ each and recoup the cost of the machine and printing goo pretty easily, especially if you're just printing out one master and then using it to make a mold (although why you wouldn't just print the mold is beyond me).
zaebra
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Don't understand what you mean by 'print the mold'...

The stuff output from this printer looks as rough as a Badger's arse to me.
Too much cleanup to be worth it.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:16 pm

Eek. Yeah, that's an extruded plastic printer. They are always rough.

And $10 for each cast part? I challenge you to find anyone on the planet that would do them for that!

As for printing the molds... sure, that COULD be done, ending up with a printed negative, but it would mean having to cast parts in rubber or you'd never get them out of the molds. I also kinda wonder it printed molds would stand up to the stress of having lots of pulls made. They would also have to be printed VERY thin and then encased in plaster or something to add wall strength.
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby zaebra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:23 pm

i'm not experienced with casting, so i'm guessing, but i would assume you could make flat pieces with a printed mold by just pouring the resin in and letting it harden, then dropping it out. wouldn't that work? i've made metalwork that way, but i didn't have to worry about the metal sticking to the investment material (the mold).

at any rate, there are hundreds of 3d printers out there to consider. this one just happens to be the cheapest one i've seen, so i thought i'd throw out the suggestion, for what it's worth. i don't know if the 3d printer market is developed enough yet where it's cost effective to just buy the printer and make your own pieces as opposed to paying someone else to use their printer to make them. i'm personally more of a hand tools and scrap metal kinda guy (read: poor). if i could crank out the parts to make vera replicas in my spare time, i'd do it and just give them away. :) i kinda lack the skills for that, though.
zaebra
Independent Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Our Mrs. Reynolds