Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Blue Sun Ship

Episode 9 - Ariel

Blue Sun Ship

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:22 pm

"Designer Ron Cobb Tapped by Zoic Studios to Create Spaceships for "Firefly"
Credits include Star Wars, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters, The Abyss and Total Recall

Dec. 05, 2002 —

The Blue Sun Ship appeared in the November 15th episode "Ariel" and is one of the Alliance's ships (click for larger view)
Design legend Ron Cobb was recently tapped by the visual effects team from Zoic Studios to create two spaceships for Joss Whedon's "Firefly" series that debuted in September on FOX. Set 400 years in the future in the wake of a universal civil war, "Firefly" tells the tale of Serenity, a small transport spaceship without a homeport. One of Cobb's CG-animated ships made its debut on the episode "Ariel" on November 15th and the other, a bounty-hunter ship, will premiere in January during the "Objects in Space" episode.

"Ron Cobb is an idol for the creatives and artists on 'Firefly'," so we were thrilled when he agreed to design the two spaceships which are, in essence, reoccurring characters on the show," notes Visual Effects Supervisor Loni Peristere. "Using his exceptional designs we were able to bring the ships to life in 3D and create instant classics for the show." [an error occurred while processing this directive] Known for his extensive collaboration with award-winning directors such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and James Cameron, Cobb has contributed concept designs to such seminal films as Star Wars, Alien, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters, The Abyss and Total Recall, and was a time travel consultant on Back to the Future.

The Early Ship is a bounty hunter ship that slated to appear in the upcoming episode "Objects in Space." (click for larger view)
Cobb made his foray into the business as an In-Betweener working at Disney Studios on Sleeping Beauty. In the late 1960s and '70s, Cobb was a political cartoonist for the Los Angeles Free Press and The Digger in Sydney, Australia. In 1982, Cobb was one of 10 artists invited to NASA to document the fourth launch and landing of the Space Shuttle, Columbia. Two of his paintings hang in the Smithsonian Museum. After his work for NASA, Cobb worked as an Art Director and Designer contributing to hundreds of projects, including those listed above.

"My creative inspiration harkens back to my days as a child when I was in awe of the night sky," explains Cobb. "This led to my interest in astronomy, which to me was the charting of an endless black sea. When I learned that there were serious plans to journey beyond the sky I wanted to know everything about them. I was thrilled and truly inspired by the writings of Willy Ley, the paintings of Chesley Bonestell, and the speculative engineering of Werner Von Braun. Most of all I discovered that the methodology of science allows us to increasingly understand the world as it is rather than how we wish it to be."

Launched in the summer of 2002, Zoic Studios provides digital effects and animation to the television, commercial and music video industries. In addition to "Firefly," Zoic's credits include the popular series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel," as well as top music videos and commercials including the recent clip for Mudvayne entitled "Not Falling."

For more information, go to www.zoicstudios.com.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Re: Blue Sun Ship

Postby punctated » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:44 pm

Cool design but when I first saw it I thought it was one of those robotic vacuum cleaners :lol:
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby AZSneed » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:42 am

That is new to me, great find, William!
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 pm

I always liked the horseshoe shaped Hands of Blue ship.
Never seen anything but screencaps, until this.
I never did find that article or image on the Zoic site.

Awesome find!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Now that I know that Ron Cobb was involved on Firefly, I'm wondering if Jayne's surname is an homage to Ron.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:37 am

Yellowjacket wrote:Now that I know that Ron Cobb was involved on Firefly, I'm wondering if Jayne's surname is an homage to Ron.

Oooh, great catch of an article and yes, as an homage to Ron Cobb, it's a good one. He was also the production designer for Conan the Barbarian (1982) and was the concept artist for Alien (1979).

Aliens and spaceships and swords, oh my.

Hmm. The imp in me is nagging for a parody of "The Hero of Canton", with Ron Cobb as the person praised, but all my smart brain cells have already declared it Miller Time and have clocked out for the day. Maybe someone else can come up with the lyrics?

Or would that be too blasphemous?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:41 am

Also, does anyone find it both hopeful and sad that the two ships in the article were both referred to as *recurring* characters' ships? Oh, what Joss could have done with 13 more episodes .... Hell, 13 more *seasons*? Imagine the geopolictical possibilities with that many seasons. Imagine the character development!

*sigh*

Damn you FOX.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:56 am

I content myself with the fact that it will never jump the shark.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:30 am

Goodwolf wrote:I content myself with the fact that it will never jump the shark.

Point to the man! I agree.
taimdala
Browncoat

Return to Ariel