Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Lassetter

Episode 11 - Trash

Re: The Lassetter

Postby jason1976 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 pm

WOW, not that is interesting. I wonder why that did not come up in my searches.

Thank you very much. This may be a very good option. :)

I took a little time looking around their site. There are quite a few variations of the switch/button out there. the model of bezel (the black part) on the lassetter is a 16324-6 (witch is the one with the rectangular cut out for the LED lens) This that site does not have that model. (at least not that I could find.)

Howeve, they do have just about all the other lines of bezels made by Mec. Including:

-Black Bezel with just an opening for the button cap. (you would just have to cut the rectangular whole for the LED lens)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2034551

-METAL BORDEAUX bezel, with just a cut out for the push button. (you would still have to cut the whole for the rectangular LED lens, but metal is always cool. :) )
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2034562

-Black bezels with no opening at all (so you could cut what ever holes you like)
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2034577

they also have options with round whole in the corners for 1, 2, or 4, LEDs. but those would be way off for the lassetter. (they also have them in the widest range of colors I have seen anywhere, so if you wanted to go really crazy with the color scheme, this is the place to go)

Now for the button itself. Hm..... they have a Red cap, which I always thought was the correct one.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2034529

However, they also have an orange one, that kind of looks close in color to the one on the lassetter to me.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2034528

Can some one far less "Color blind" then me, PLEASE tell me if the buttons on the lassetter are the red ones, or the orange one?
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:12 pm

A couple years ago, over at the RPF, a few of the guys (I think it was Joatrash, and birdie, but I could be wrong) were saying how hard it was to re-sculpt the grip for the lassetter. I said, at the time, that, that was the easiest part for me. I'm really not one to brag, but It really was......Until MUCH BETTER pics came out, and I saw just how, very, very, wrong I got it. Now I have been working to re-re-sculpt my grip, and they were very much right.

Even with the better pics, it is not easy to figure this thing out. The shininess of the grip makes it a little like an M. C. Esher sketch. One minute you think you have it figured out, and then you look at a pic from another angle, and you go "Oh, no that part doesn't stick out, it's indented" You re-sculpt accordingly. Then you find another pic, and say "ARG Nope it does stick out, time to re-sculpt again" Every time I'm like "Nailed it" I see a new pic from a new angle, and go "ARG!" After weeks of looking at the pics, now and then, I ended up spending another hour just looking at the grip last night, and seeing all new thing I have not noticed before. (like the marking on the back of the grip that say something like:

MoDErN
ProPS
??????

I can't post over at the RPF any more, so I'm posting this here, to offer my most sincere apologies to anyone that has said that the grip is hard to sculpt..... You all were right....it is.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Thu May 02, 2013 7:42 am

I know. Mine is still not accurate because I "finished" the grip before the auction photos were posted. The front of the grip is supposed to go flush into the flashlight at the front. That was never clear in the available photo ref before the auction so my grip still has an edge of a few mm out from the flash handle. I'm kinda burnt out on finishing this thing to begin with so it will probably stay that way...

Oh, and note that you need to cut notches into the little side plates on the front of the pistol, where the side bars go, to make them "cut through" them.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Joatrash wrote:I know. Mine is still not accurate because I "finished" the grip before the auction photos were posted. The front of the grip is supposed to go flush into the flashlight at the front. That was never clear in the available photo ref before the auction so my grip still has an edge of a few mm out from the flash handle. I'm kinda burnt out on finishing this thing to begin with so it will probably stay that way...

Yeah, I have been trying to work out the area where the front of the trigger guard blinds into the flashlight handle/spacer area. Every angle I look at it, it looks a little different, and every time I think I have it figured out, I see a new curve, or something. there are a few other things about it, I'm hung up on, but then I was looking at the "Zeo 101" pics (the pics from the kids show that were post over at the RPF) and might have noticed something else. As you look along the area where the side plate meats the spacer under it, The plate is flush with the space from the front of the gun, to about the rear of the trigger area, but then there is a big old shadow, under the plate, at the top of, the rear of, the grip. (I think there was mention, at some point, of this being where the on switch was hidden)

This is not nearly as visible in the auction pictures, do to the shininess of the grip, and the nice studio lighting they used.

Soooo is this on both sides, or just the right side? And what is the shape of this indented area of the grip/spacer? It's kind of hard to tell for sure.

Joatrash wrote:Oh, and note that you need to cut notches into the little side plates on the front of the pistol, where the side bars go, to make them "cut through" them.

:lol: I just noticed that, a few days ago.

I was setting here, looking at my parts, and the pics, and saying "Ok, the flashlight grip, plus spacers on either side, need to total the width of the raygun grip, at it's widest point. Then on either side of that goes these side plates. Then the little arm thingies that holds the stuff on the front" So I lay all that out, and then I look at all the parts that have to go on the front of it, and fit in the space between the two arms, and I was like "Ok, something does not add up here" I looked at the pictures for the longest time, and I finally saw it.

It's funny, over a decade ago, when the episode aired, everyone recognized the flashlight right awat, and many even recognized the grip. but as we get clearer, and clearer pics, we see just how complex the add on parts are.

Oh, and I got my buttons and bezels for the rear display, in the mail yesterday. They were so cheep that I bout 5 "metal", and 5 black bezels (just incase I mess them up some how) The "Metal" ones are just plastic Bezels with some metal flakes worked in. (I'll be using the plain black ones for the prop) Thanks again, for sharing that link to the place that sells them in the U.S.

I've been working on the graphic for the rear display as well, but I still have a little ways to go. I'll be sure to post it, when I get it all worked out.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby ssdesigner » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:54 pm

Can anyone confirm if this gun is the same as the Spacetronic? It looks to be missing the threaded piece at the end of the grip, but does that matter?

http://imgur.com/WA3zVo3

-Ss
ssdesigner
Blue Hand guy

Postby Risu » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:09 am

That's the Galactronic. It's a knockoff. Slight differences. The Lassiter grip cast in aluminum had the screw cap thing removed first. The only thing you'll have to do is flatten the more rounded end, fill the screw holes, and add the extension onto the front.
Risu
Independent Soldier

Postby dsears30 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:01 am

That's what I used on both of mine, the Galactronic laser. Both of the ones I bought had that bottom screw cap, that I removed and filled the bottom. It doesn't show in that picture but on the upper section of the grip, side showing in pic. There are some raised numbers you have to sand down, set it on top of your flashlight handle, centered, and cut off that front black knob flush with the handle of the flashlight. I cut out a small wooden triangle shaped piece for the front and some bondo to smooth it all down, plus used a piece of tape on the inside of the trigger space and filled that gap from underneath and the back part of the top of the laser. Once centered and glued down I used more bondo to seal the grips to the flashlight handle.
Attachments
group shot med.jpg
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:36 am

The original grip on the prop wasn't the silver painted plastic grip direct from a Galactonic, but was a foundry cast solid aluminium copy of it. Quite smooth and polished.
They had made some corrections and changes to the shape prior to moulding.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Kurtyboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 am

Hi guys,

I finally started working on my Lassiter. Does anyone know if the flash light swivel was retained on the prop, or was it fixed in the tilted up position?

With all the electronics I'm putting in I won't have space to keep the swivel mechanism.

I'll post some progress soon!
Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

Postby Kurtyboy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:54 am

I have zero knowledge or experience of electronics so will have to use some off the shelf circuits and sacrifice some accuracy, but the main interface is my own work (with thanks to Darth Chromer for his handy tips).

I'm trying to figure out where to put capacitor(s) and what kind, in order to get the yellow LEDs to fade out quickly rather than turn off.

Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Trash