Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

"little Geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled"

Episode 11 - Trash

Re: "little Geisha dolls with big heads that wobbled"

Postby pennausamike » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 am

I personally envisioned more of the old fashioned style.
I could just picture opening the crate, and the jostling would mean
that lifting the lid would expose hundreds of wobbling geisha heads.
(I know that isn't necessarily practical from a packaging standpoint, but the image makes me laugh.)

I would say, too, that I wouldn't want to establish a "fan-canon" wobbly-headed geisha doll.
Part of the fun is seeing what different folks pick as their mental picture of that funny moment.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 am

AWWW! Pink and yellow is a fortuitous color combo in Asian culture. It might seem garish to Western eyes but I like it.

I have my preferences, though. If given the choice between red and any other color, I'd go with red. (Unless it's a rich royal blue. Then I would have to kill you for making me choose between red and blue.)

Red is a fortuitous color in Chinese culture. Russian, too, actually. As I habitually play either ethnicity while LARPing/RPGing in the Verse, it fits.

So... yeah. Red!

Unless it's blue!

Then I'd have to kill you.
Last edited by taimdala on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:09 am

pennausamike wrote:I personally envisioned more of the old fashioned style.
I could just picture opening the crate, and the jostling would mean
that lifting the lid would expose hundreds of wobbling geisha heads.
(I know that isn't necessarily practical from a packaging standpoint, but the image makes me laugh.)

I would say, too, that I wouldn't want to establish a "fan-canon" wobbly-headed geisha doll.
Part of the fun is seeing what different folks pick as their mental picture of that funny moment.

Mike

I agree on the old-fashioned style. It's what i always envisioned. Your point about "fan-cannon" is a good one. Leave it up to folks to choose their own doll to represent the wobbly-headed-doll caper
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 am

I agree with Mike, too, that while it might be fun to shop the 'net and settle on an "official" version of wobbly-headed dolls, I rather like leaving it open to interpretation.

My own interpretation of it is that all the dolls were different, like several smaller overrun lots were combined into one glorious jumble. Maybe there were only two or three from one lot and two or three dozen of a different lot and yet another two or three hundred of still another lot. Which is how Mal got his hands on it--everyone else gave it a pass as it wasn't consistent across the shipment.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:12 am

As for inconsistency or variance being a valid reason to turn something down ... well, that's the group-think of the Alliance for you! Takes a more free thinking independent viewpoint to see opportunity where everyone else sees only a loss. ;)
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:18 am

Mixed is the way it should be. I was told at comic shops in the past, when they bought a case of dolls...Action Figures...they were assorted. So many of one, so many of some other, never all the same.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:32 am

I think it should be style and form before color. People will always gravitate to colors that they prefer.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:34 pm

I've got three of the solar girls. Red, Blue, and Green.
I got the solar, so's when I host a Shindig, I can put them in my porch and they'll wobble without need of an earthquake. :)
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Trash