Re: Saffron's gun?

Postby Sidewinder » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:53 am

lol Mike, mine looks like that too!

SAS
Sidewinder
Independent Soldier

Postby Kurtyboy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:34 pm

Yeah, especially repairing all the tiny broken fins at the front where the machined tip goes.
Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

Postby Sidewinder » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:06 pm

lol i'm not gonna bother i'll just hack it off altogether and machine that bit.

SAS
Sidewinder
Independent Soldier

Postby pennausamike » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:53 pm

The first rough layout for my YoSafBridge pistol display.

There were three main elements.

First, was the pistol Saffron, I mean Bridget, I mean Yolanda; pulled on Mal and Durran Haymer in "Trash".
The casting was REALLY badly pitted and covered in pinholes.
(There is a picture of it earlier in the thread.)
Even after all the work to clean it up and rebuild broken down parts, painting STILL exposed some pinholes!
Sigh...
Fortunately, the weathering I did on the pistol covered the most glaring places.
On the plus side, I decided to go with a satin nickel finish on the frame and slide to contrast with the machined parts;
and the silver and gunmetal painted parts.
I'm very pleased with the contrast and overall look.
As with the Wash pistol, (and any number of these projects, really),
it seems hard to believe these will ever turn out right many times during the build process.
It is always a mixture of relief and satisfaction when they turn out OK at the end.

The second element of the display that became more work than intended,
well, let's quote Mal:
"You and lipstick are a dangerous combination, as I recall".
That's right, Saffron's other weapon was the "goodnight kiss".
Just buy a tube of white lipstick, right?
Not quite...
First, I could just never seem to remember to look when I was at the store.
I finally added it to a shopping list,
and then couldn't find a cylindrical lipstick tube.
(They're all square-ish now, it seems.)
I was getting ready to search eBay when I thought, "nuts, I'll just make that, too."
I'm pretty sure I'm now in possession of the fanciest non-lipstick tube on the planet!
And since the "lipstick" itself is white plastic, I don't have to worry about it ever melting or crumbling.

The last element of the display is the pictures.
I was thinking a miniature frame work to hold two pictures of YoSafBridge and the lipstick tube.
I also made posts to hold the pistol.

The finished YoSafBridge display:

I removed the Durran Haymer elements from the display because it was too crowded.
The wooden frame/divider I made for the inside came out as I hoped,
but the stain isn't quite red enough.
It still worked out OK, and I might incorporate this concept into another display down the road.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:17 pm

Looks really great, Mike! Incorporating the pics into the case worked well.

Also, nice to see some new posts in the episode threads! Haven't been many lately.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:42 am

It is always a pleasure to see your collection, Mike. Well though out.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Sidewinder » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:17 am

Obscurely related but I found this on propstore: http://www.propstore.com/product-Gabe-L ... Pistol.htm

Very similar in design to the Saff gun and would fit in the Firefly style IMO. In fact I think this would have been a good alternative to Jaynes BDM 1911.

SAS
Sidewinder
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 pm

pennausamike (MIke) asked me to post a little bit about the casting I have, so here we go.

Back in 2011 (wow has it been that long?) Kurtyboy was nice enought to post over in the marketplace that there was a casting for sale over at the RPF. A member over there that goes by (well I can't bring up the thread since I'm not a member there any more. :( ) was selling his. He did not cast it, he had bout it off of someone that may have been the caster, or my have just been another link in the chain, I don't know. From what I recall, the chatter in the thread said it was from Japan, or something, and was like a 3rd gen casting of the original, or something like that.

When it came, it looked like this.

It was light as an empty egg shell, do to the fact that it was hollow. (I don't know if it was rotocast, or what, but most of the sections were hollow.) I drilled a big old whole in the side, and where the clip would go at the base of the handle.

I then mixed some metal bbs in with some bondo, and put it in the fround section. (leaving room for some smooth bondo to go over top of that.) Then I mixed up another batch of bondo, and put it in the grip section, and pushed some metal bar waits in there, wall it was still liquid.

Next I added some smooth bondo over top of those sections, and sanded it back some.

It has a great wait to it now. Not too heavy, not too light, just feels like a real gun. (IMHO)

The site was pretty chewed up too, so I filed it off, and have started to reconstruct it out of bondo as well. (I am the bondo king. :lol: )

I thought I was going to have to make my own underbarrel thingy, so I filed off the threaded bit under the upper barrel to make it easer to make the part out of some aluminum bar stock, but then Mike was nice enought to send me one of his great machined parts. I'll have to reconstrunct the part of the pistol that should fight inside the part Mike sent me, but that is no biggy, and way easier to make the little bit that goes inside then to have to make the part Mike sent me. :)

The trigger was full of bubbles and broke on me, so I filed it off, and plan on making a new one out of aluminum. (some day.)

So that's where it's at right now. I have some more dings, dents, and bubbles to fill. I need to finish shapiing the site, and make a new trigger, and something to hold Mike's part on. Maybe reconstruct the clip area. (though I'm kind of ok with it just being smooth there) And of course painting it. I have no plans on doing any of that any time soon, as I'm working on my lassitor right now, but some day.

Oh, and it feels really undersized to me, but I could be wrong, I do know ti was a small pistol. Here is a pic of it in my hand, if it tells you anything.
jason1976
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Trash