Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Monty's costume?

Episode 11 - Trash

Monty's costume?

Postby xardoz » Tue May 26, 2009 5:44 pm

There's too many Mals, I wanna be a sasquatch name o' Monty!

Thanks to the folks over at the RPF, I think we've ID'd his boots as Harley Davidson Side Lights, dyed brown with the bottom buckle and strap removed.

(Most of this post is pulled from my post over at the RPF.)

I managed to pull Shawna Trpcic into this, but she wasn't able to recall much. Franc Ross as a last minute casting decision, so they had to scramble to get something -anything! - together that would fit him.
From Shawna (a classy lady to help a total stranger like this):
so he is wearing pieces from all over the rental house :) - the vest is a "quilted" asian "vest" it was a ruff cotton - if I am remembering right - the white shirt is classic western taupe - looks white but it was teched - the "necklace" was a shoulder epilette from another costume - the pants look like western period as well - he was cast at the last minute and was larger than we thought he'd be so his costume was a scramble sorry I do not remember more details
good luck and good choice

Any help ID-ing these pieces would be greatly appreciated. I've got some screen caps here, pardon the res and repeats, please.

multi-riveted belt and boots

His gun rig never makes an appearance, but he gestures towards it on entrance and the holster tie-down dangles in one shot, so we know he's armed. Boots shown better here, too:

The zig-zag quilted lining of the "asian vest":

Here you can see he's wearing a leather vest under the quilted job, and the epaulet worn as a gorget:

More to come!
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Re: Monty's costume?

Postby xardoz » Tue May 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Detail on the epaulet gorget:

Here you can see his suspenders, and him "reaching" for his gun when he sees Mal:

MORE!
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby xardoz » Tue May 26, 2009 5:50 pm

One of the weird things about the quilted vest is that there is a patch down where the zipper would be with the numbers 1483 in an odd, sci-fi typeface. I can't quite grab it, so here's the best I could do:

The quilted over-vest has buckle epaulets on it, and seems to buckle to the shoulders of his leather under-vest:

The sleeves seem to be attached to what Shawna called an "asian vest", which to me means a coat, and the sleeves and the asian vest seem to be splotched with black paint or something, which lends a "very distressed leather" look, IMHO.

Here you can see the edge of the 1483 patch peeking out, and it's clearly attached to the asian vest:

the lining of the quilted coat/vest looks exactly like a moving blanket. I've read that movie studios (and so presumedly TV production units) like to use moving blankets for improvised sound deadening, so I'm wondering if Monty's quilted vest/coat isn't something that was cobbled together for some other production from a blanket?

The shirt, pants, scarf, suspenders and unknown gun rig I can do or fake, but does anyone recognize any of the other pieces?
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby xardoz » Wed May 27, 2009 8:39 pm

no love for Monty? :(
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby F-N-S » Wed May 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Oh no, we love Monty! Iit's great that someone tries to make a different costume for a change, but I think most of the stuff he wears is custom made. It looks very unusual to me.
"We're gonna get that show back on the air!"
F-N-S
Pilot of this shiny forum

Postby xardoz » Wed May 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to end up making a lot of it myself. The epaulet gorget is unlike any epaulet I've seen before and is probably off some other sci-fi / fantasy costume as opposed to a historical outfit. I've got some other buckle-y boots I can dye and mod that will be reasonably close to the Side Lights.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby pennausamike » Thu May 28, 2009 5:09 am

xardoz wrote:no love for Monty? :(

Definitely love for Monty AND your decision to make the costume.
Problem is, I can't find anything to contribute beyond,
"best wishes on a bold choice!"

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby xardoz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Boot update:
I think the boots may actually be these X-element boots, dyed brown. Cheaper than the Harley's and no bottom buckle to remove.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby Oathin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:13 am

The coat is definetly quilted moving blanket based. I have done this myself for an armoring under coat. The tag on it looks very Sci Fi and I cannot prove it but looks blade runnerish as a whole. I am trying for this one next year since I am that big compared to most of the Mal's I meet.
Oathin
Reaver Bait

Return to Trash