Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Jayne's hat

Episode 12 - The Message

Re: Jayne's hat

Postby Justanuthercap » Tue May 17, 2011 1:25 pm

The one's from Heather Hill come with a letter and packed with straw.
Jayne: (mock reading Simon's journal) "Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." (flips page) "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
Justanuthercap
terrifying space monkey

Postby Wesclone » Tue May 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Justanuthercap wrote:The one's from Heather Hill come with a letter and packed with straw.

I never could getva response from her.
Wesclone
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Tue May 17, 2011 7:25 pm

Well, since my Mother died many years ago, and I don't know anyone else to make me one, I turn to ebay.
In your opinion, which looks the closes of all that are offered, if any?
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby namebrand » Tue May 17, 2011 9:23 pm

In my opinion the Heather Hill hat is the most accurate.
namebrand
Browncoat

Postby MedwayPVB » Tue May 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Here's me in mine, January 2010, after walking home in a snow storm:

:lol:
MedwayPVB
Independent Soldier

Postby JiminSTLouis » Tue May 17, 2011 11:10 pm

NICE!
JiminSTLouis
Blue Hand guy

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:20 pm

An excerpt from an interview with Shawna Trpcic in Salon magazine.

Question:
You’ve designed some of the most iconic looks in the Whedonverse. Tell me about one my favorites: the much-copied Jayne Cobb hat from “Firefly.” How did it come about, and did you imagine it would become so beloved? And I know you’ve been so supportive of fans who’ve made their own versions – what did you think about the controversy over licensing?

Answer:
My grandma Erma used to make me Christmas slippers, hand-knit in varied colored yarns with a big pompom on top. They meant so much to me no matter how “cool” I got as a teenager. I would wear them anywhere.

In the episode where the gang goes to the post office, it was written that Jayne receives a package from his mother, and he had to be able to put it on in the scene. We were in a rush to come up with the idea and make it, so I thought, a knit hat. It was around the holidays and the office manager was knitting something for her grandma for Christmas. I grabbed [actor Adam Baldwin's] thrilling heroics hat from “The Train Job” and she used that as the pattern. I had done a sketch and used watercolor to color it, so the ombre look stuck. When the manager shopped yarns for me she came back with an assortment of oranges and reds, and Jayne’s hat was born.

I am still so thrilled when I see a hat in public. Often folks have no idea who I am as I squeal in excitement at their hat. The controversy is so strange that I really can’t comment, but people have made them to raise money for amazing causes and just to touch on the warmth and beauty of “Firefly.” So, rock on!"

Full interview here: http://www.salon.com/2013/07/19/joss_wh ... _no_rules/
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:14 pm

It's almost like the hat has transcended Firefly at this point and has simply become a part of geek culture, similar to the way one might have, say, a lightsaber hilt on display despite not being a ginormous Star Wars fan.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 pm

neverAcquiesce wrote:It's almost like the hat has transcended Firefly at this point and has simply become a part of geek culture, similar to the way one might have, say, a lightsaber hilt on display despite not being a ginormous Star Wars fan.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm hardly into Star Wars at all anymore, but I will be holding onto my prop lightsabers until the bitter end. (Even though they are a bunch of useless, pieces of machined aluminum, and/or found flashlights, they transcend their beginnings.) Like wise, if I ever part with my firefly collection, my Jayne hat will probably be the last to go. It's ugly as sin, and hot as hell, but I know, if I through that hat on, it will say more then just about any t-shirt ever could. More then "I love firefly" or "I love Jayne" or "I love that episode" it speaks to community, loyalty, and a rebellious spirit. (at least it does to me, because of all the fans have done wiht it.)

Um....and did I mention these "hats" are HOT....
........and scratchy......so, very, scratchy. Do you think they were trying to say jayne is a .......... No, it's just too easy. (and no I don't own one of these, but you can, someone is selling them on ebay right now. :lol:)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Remember, it's what's inside the hat that counts...

:jayne:
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to The Message