Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Burgess' laser pistol

Episode 13 - Heart of Gold

Re: Burgess' laser pistol

Postby dsears30 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:49 pm

I see where the: Lot 1610: Frederic Lehne "Ranse Burgess" working laser pistol prop from Firefly, is up for auction by “Invaluable”.
The starting bid is $3K (shows going anywhere from 3-5K) and you must bid by $250 increments, plus a huge bidders fee. I did put in a bid and the fee was around $800. So it’s around 4K now before anyone puts in another bid, plus I could only imagine what the next fee cost is (it goes up as bibs go) . This also doesn’t include shipping .
The Lassister is also list and starting price 4K, no bids so far but the live auction isn’t until 1 July.
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby pennausamike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Based on the picture in the Invaluable listing, it no longer has the "low battery" tube that was made for Firefly.
I'm not sure why the rental house removed it after they got it back, but I'd ask the current lister if he still has it.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

pennausamike wrote:Based on the picture in the Invaluable listing, it no longer has the "low battery" tube that was made for Firefly.
I'm not sure why the rental house removed it after they got it back, but I'd ask the current lister if he still has it.

Mike

I believe Frank owns that piece.
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:17 pm

The tube was one of the first items in the collection. I put it in its rightful place on the Burgess Laser when I acquired it, and removed it when it went back...

It didn't belong to the prop rental house, as it was made by the Firefly prop dept, and added on set.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby dsears30 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:49 pm

I did send them an email about it and was waiting on a response. But now I see here what happened to it. If I do some how get lucky enough to purchase it I can always add the piece from the one I got from pennausamike to it. But that is a very slim chance I get it, my pockets aren't as deep as some. But the Lassiter sales first and hopefully they will spend their money there. Plus in the picture of the Lassiter it appears some water or damage on the bottom of screen section.
The black and white concept drawing and pics went from 150-200, the color ones (some production used) went for 200-350. As it's a live auction most of the item where sold on the floor. But then you add a buyer's premium of up to 25% and any applicable taxes and shipping, they cost can really jump.
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby pennausamike » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:13 pm

High end Firefly props don't seem to be moving all that well, so you may get it.
If you don't, and the money for a screen used prop is burning a hole in your pocket:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=996&p=28868#p28868
I still have this for sale to the right buyer.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby dsears30 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:22 pm

I know what you mean and I will keep an eye on your listing just in case this falls through. I know you got the good stuff and any work you did is well done.
Not sure if it's the new Firefly Loot carte stuff that just came out. But I listed two Catalyzers on ebay on separate days. Each sold with 12 hours, now I wasn't asking a lot, just made a little profit and the fun of building them.
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby dsears30 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:31 am

I did get a response today from email about the Burgess Laser and maybe good news, if?
Here is what they sent me:

I have a message into the owner of Modern Props concerning this situation, but he will not be back to the office until next Monday.

In the meantime, I have been informed that the "check battery" tube was mounted on the left side of the prop weapon by the production of Firefly -- not by Modern Props, the company that designed, fabricated and rented the piece to the production.

Following its use, the production removed the tube from the prop gun prior to returning it to Modern Props. What I am awaiting from the owner of Modern Props is the answer to the question I have posed to him, that is, would his shop create a replica "check battery" tube as seen in the episode? Granted, it would be a replica, but it would look complete and it would be a modification made by Modern Props which made the original prop gun in the first place.

As soon as I hear the response, I will let you know.

In the meantime, if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best regards,
Profiles in History
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:27 am

Isn't that precisely what I said in my previous post?
The tube was made by the props department of the show, not the rental house.

Modern Props would have no idea how the tube was made, what the tube was made from, it's dimensions, etc. Why you would want Modern Props to make the tube escapes me. They didn't make the original add-on check battery tube in the first place.

Knowing Modern Props from old, they will charge a huge amount to make it, and if they do, it won't be a 'replica', as they'll only have the screencaps from the show. Expensive and inaccurate.

How will this possibly be a 'replica'?

Personally, I would ask here to see if the owner is willing to share information about the tube, and gain interest for a replica run and have them made by a decent modelmaker if you can't do it yourself.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby pennausamike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:10 pm

The Rance Burgess laser auction is now listed on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frederic-Lehne- ... 2014582942

as is the Lassiter from Trash:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firefly-The-Las ... 2019611516

I find myself wondering about how these will do?
The people who just collect "props" tend to be drawn to whatever is hot at the moment.
And the Firefly/Serenity ship has sailed for all but the hardcore fans.
Of those, most are the QMx dream customer base; cutsie swag lovers.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Heart of Gold