Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Clear message disk/ship thingy.

Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

Clear message disk/ship thingy.

Postby jason1976 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm talking about the little clear thingy they find on Miranda, and take to Mr. Universe's place to broadcast.

I know that the topic came up a time, or two, over at the RPF, over the years, but I don't think it's been discussed her.

I would love to see a replica of this prop done. I mean, it's a small prop, that doesn't get a ton of screen time, but at the same time, one of the big plot points of the movie, revolved around it.

I know at least one, or two, screen used versions were sold through prop store. However, when the topic has come up in the past, the buyers that were contacted, either said they wouldn't know how to cast it, or that they didn't think there would be enough interest to bother.

Does anyone here have one, or have access to one? I would really love to get some really clear pics/scans of one. I saved off the ones posted on Propstore, but I can't make out the Chinese characters. I thought someone once posted a really detailed rendering, but I can't seem to find it.

I was kind of thinking of looking into 3D printing it. I know, I know, I already have a few such project on the to do/to finish list, and I'm not sure if the "clear" 3D printing would work, I may have to have it printed in something opaque, and then mold and cast it in clear reason. Or, if someone thinks it would be better done in laser cut acrylic and wants to take that on, or if someone has an original one, that they want to cast, PLEASE DO. :)

For me this is a really iconic Serenity prop.
jason1976
Browncoat

Re: Clear message disk/ship thingy.

Postby RobStyle » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:24 am

If memory serves they were hand cut layers of acrylic with the ends flame polished with a couple cast bits on the ends. Ive not seen the props since they left for production so were talking early ten years ago now. It wouldnt be anything to mold and cast but to replicate off some photos piece by piece.

With the Chinese characters, im not certain they are anything but gibberish. The printing and such was handled by another person.

I do know that the same design style was carried over to Balls of Fury with the self destruct devices used on the compound at the end finale, they were fabricated by the same people.
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks for the info. :)

Here are a couple of the Propstore pics. (I thought I had more, but this is all I could track down on my hard drive.)

Now that I really look at it, the marking doen't look Chinese to me at all. More like lines and dashes, and the like. (but I could be wrong, and usually am. :) )
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:23 am

Just printed circuit designs. It is probably just printed on clear acetate and sandwiched between acrylic pieces.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Return to Serenity