Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Alliance Pistol

Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

Alliance Pistol

Postby punctated » Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 am

I am thinking about puting one of these together. Image

I can get a Silver Bullet Paintball Marker but I am not sure if I need any additional parts. The reproductions of the Serenity Alliance pistol appears to have custom grips (little circle with Alliance symbol in the middle). Has anyone on this board done a modification to the paintball gun? Where do I get the custom grips? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Thomas
punctated
Hero of Canton

Re: Alliance Pistol

Postby keelhauler » Thu May 28, 2009 3:42 am

Talk to propmaster2000. He's made excellent replicas of the pistol. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Kurtyboy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:01 pm

If anyone has it, I could use a diagram showing exactly where to cut what. ;)
Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

Postby F-N-S » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:08 pm

Moved to Serenity - Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

I too could use a little help with building the gun. The only thing I did was cut the trigger and that resulted in pieces of chrome chipping off. Well, now I'm a bit reluctant to cut the larger pieces.
Any help how I can prevent that?
"We're gonna get that show back on the air!"
F-N-S
Pilot of this shiny forum

Postby punctated » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks for moving this.

I would also really like to know what is the best way of securing the barrels together and onto the gun.

Thomas
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby punctated » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Just checking it with this thread. I just ordered a paintball gun and I want to start on this pistol ASAP. Anyone have any advice?

Thomas
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm

I secured the barrels with regular 2-part epoxy. Go real slow at first when cutting through the chrome to cut down on chipping. The extra parts you will need are a strip of metal for the trigger guard and a diagonally cut piece of pipe for the upper trigger, as well as leds and stuff if you wnt to light it. Oh.. and an Alliance symbol... wish I had one of those myself.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby punctated » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:35 am

I spent the weekend working on my first major prop. With Dremel tool in hand, pictures of the Alliance pistol, and an inexpensive used Silver Bullet Paintball Marker I went to work. It was a straight forward construction and I found all of my parts at our local hardware store (still have to pick up an aluminum strip for the trigger guard). I had to replace a few screws and the metal tube that covers the opening in the upper barrel was a 4 inch piece of chromed pipe that I had to cut twice because I screwed up on the first cut.

I should have taken pictures of the modification but I was so busy working I forgot.

I did do a few things slightly different than what I have read to date. Instead of gluing the lower barrel end piece to the body of the gun I drilled and tapped the end piece, screwed in a heavy bolt and then wrapped the bolt in electric tape until it fitted tightly into the lower barrel. I then took it back out and filled the lower barrel with a two-part epoxy and replaced the end piece. Worked great and I can not pull the end piece out. For the upper barrel I used electric tape wrapped around the end piece, super glued the tape down, put super glue on the barrel's threads and then screwed the end piece back on. The super glue sat-up quickly and holds the end piece in very securely. Both end pieces are fitted in securely.

My paintball gun was not the one with the blue light up display so I went to Walmart's automotive department where they sell all sorts of cheap add-ons for your car. They have a number of flexible tubes and strips with embedded LED's in either blue and red. I purchased a flat strip of blue LEDs and attached the on/off switch that was part of the gun's trigger system to the wires of the blue LED strip (the LED strip also came with its own battery pack that fit nicely inside of the gun's handle). Now I can press the trigger and blue lights shine not only out from the clear opening but from the three little holes in the back of the gun's grip and I ran the lights up through the barrel which shows through the barrel area where the piston-like piece is located.

I still need to work on the lighting a little so it shines better through the clear opening area and I need to make my trigger guard but I am very pleased with the outcome. Made a few mistakes and let the Dremel's cutting wheel slip once but not bad for a first attempt. I will post pictures when I am finished.

If anyone could locate two of the Alliance symbol pieces that I could fit into the handle I would be very appreciative. Maybe someone could ask on RPF? I know that I am not the only one looking.

Thomas
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby pennausamike » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I have one of the propmaster2000-built Alliance energy pistols.
His replica is beautifully made* but I never really warmed to the original movie concept of either chrome plated military/security weapons
or to the use of cut up paintball markers as the basis for futuristic weapons.

A little while ago, the Propstore of London offered a production-made, but apparently not screen-used,
Alliance holster that looked like it would fit the paintball pistol.
They had also been offering the energy packs/batteries/ammo capsules.
Both were very reasonably priced (as viewed through the lens of my budget),
so I went ahead and got them.

I like the holster because it makes the pistol look more realistic.
Combined with the ammo holder and the illusion is complete;
a logical weapon with the means to bring it to use.

Mike

*Propmaster2000's replica Serenity pistol was in the display
I took it to the east-coast prop party that Steve Dymszo (formerly of Master Replicas and QMx)
held a few years back.
Of all the items on display, many of which are seen here,
http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
it was the only thing that caught his eye.
Which didn't bother me until I told him that I purchased it from someone else
and that I made all the other display pieces;
and he "pffts" everything else and keeps pissing on about how amazing the Serenity Alliance pistol is.
I generally feel that I'm pretty insulated from others opinions and don't have an inflated ego,
but I was a little insulted!
Ah, feet of clay. I guess we all need a little reality check or reigning in now and again.
I haven't ever seen Steve on any Firefly boards or forums, so I guess his interest in the franchise was driven by money.
(The QMx start up.)
And really, I build stuff for myself, so that has to be the final word on what matter regarding the collection.
Also, amazing work by others IS a component of my collection
(I didn't knit my own Jayne hat, either)
and I'm happy with that, also.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby punctated » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:02 pm

Great holster and pistol. I think I need to start sewing on my own holster.
punctated
Hero of Canton

Next

Return to Serenity