Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Alliance Pistol

Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

Re: Alliance Pistol

Postby pennausamike » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:56 pm

punctated wrote:I spent the weekend working on my first major prop.
SNIP
I should have taken pictures of the modification but I was so busy working I forgot.

Definitely would like to see pictures, even (especially!) in-process pics.

punctated wrote:SNIP
If anyone could locate two of the Alliance symbol pieces that I could fit into the handle I would be very appreciative.
Maybe someone could ask on RPF?
I know that I am not the only one looking.
Thomas

I have a few of these that I bought from Propmaster2000 years back.
PM me and we'll work sumpin' out.

punctated wrote:Great holster and pistol. I think I need to start sewing on my own holster.

This is a fairly simple design.
I can post some measurements at some point, if that will help.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby punctated » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks Mike!! I do want two Allaince symbols and a few basic measurements. The holster looks simple.

I am out of town for a few weeks but when I get back I will try to post a picture or two.

Thomas
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby Kurtyboy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:32 am

I want to finally get my Alliance pistol done so I'm looking for definitive mod instructions if anyone can help :)
Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:59 pm

I started mine a long time ago. It started out so well, and it was so clear what needed to be modded, that I was putting together a tutorial. (one of my first) To share with everyone. Then, as usually, my project took, many, MANY, turns for the worse. :( I may finish mine at some point, but right now, I don't really care if I do, as the damage that has been done, is unreparable, and the finished pistol, would be fare short of perfect.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very easy mod, I'm just a very bad, builder, and time, and time, again, I tried to rush the biuld, and screwed up.

If you buy the paint ball marker (gun) complete, as it sold in stores, you have most of what you will need, other then lighting for the grip, and a strip of aluminum for the new trigger guard you'll have to make. Oh, and a metal rode, you can cut down to replace the rear pin thing. Oh, yes, and a piece of sheet metal, or thin pipe, to cover the whole at the top. (I used a piece of metal shower rod, and that worked out great.)

Mostly, it's just a matter of unscrewing everything, from the pistol as it comes, until you get it as close as you can to the Alliance pistol. Then cut off the trigger gard that comes on it, and cut down the trigger a bit.

Then you'll have to make a new trigger guard out of the strip of metel, and drill a whole in it to hold it to the gun. (you can use the screw, and the whole already in the gun as it comes, to mount the new trigger guard)

When your first taking the gun apart, there should be a decorative piece, just bellow the handle of the fun, and attached to that, there should be a large tubular part, with one end rounded, and lots of little grooves, and indentations. you of course remove the decorative part all together, but the tubular part, actually gets cut down, to make the fround of the lower receiver. (or some are calling it the lower barrel.)

Um, you know what, I could do this much better with pictures. I have a house guest for the weekend, but if you can wait, until later this week (say around Thursday, or Friday.) I can whip up a quick tutorial. It wont be the shiny one that I originally was hoping to post way back when I got this pistol, but it still might be able to help folks out. I'll see what I can do.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Kurtyboy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:35 pm

This is why I'm getting a machinist to do mine. I don't fancy trying to cut it up myself with hand tools!

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the long piece that goes into the barrel :-\
Kurtyboy
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Ok, this is going to be a long one, so bear with me.

First up, lets look at some reference pics. The first pics are of a screen used hero pistol from the BDM.

Next are some pics posted on another forum, by someone saying that this is also a screen used version. (If this belongs to someone here, and they want me to take them down please let me know.)

And the next set of pics are of a resin, chrome plated, screen used stunt pistol.

I have some other pics of both screen used, and fan made versions, but I know that they do belong to folks around here, and at the RPF, and I don't want to post other folks pictures, without their go ahead. So, if anyone has any pics they want to share, please do.

Ok, next lets look at the paint Marker, and what needs to be done.

Step #1, Part #1. You have removed your scope rail, to make it easier to cut it down. The scope rail on the original prop, is the one that comes with the paint marker, but it has been cut down a little. You simply need to take it from what you see in pic #1 bellow, to what you see in pic #2 bellow. I used a hack saw to do mine, but you may want to have it machined. (my saw slipped, and I did not know it, and I ended up cutting a big gash in the part of my rail, that is to be used on the prop. :( )

Step #2, Part #2 This is going to be your new upper barrel. As is, the end with the threading on it, will fit loosely in the upper receiver, I suggest adding a rubber o-ring, or two, to the threads, to snug up the fit, and then JB weld it in place. (see pics bellow) You will also need to drill a whole in the business end of this part, to make it look like a barrel.

Step #3, Part #3. This will cap the front of the lower receiver, or what some folks are calling the lower barrel. It is the hardest part to do with hand tools, so you may want to get it machined. At a glance it looks like all they did for the screen used gun, is cut off the rounded end, and glue it to the front of the lower receiver, but if you look closer, you will see that they actually left some of the length of it, running under the lower reciever, and held in place with two small hex/alien bolts. (see pics bellow ) Once you have the part machined, correctly, and the wholes drilled for the bolts, simply mount it to the lower reciever. (I filled the front end of my lower reciever, with bondo, and once that dried for a few days, I JB welded on this part. I'll post pics of that as well, for those that want to do it that way.) If I re-call, you may have to take a little off the bottom of the lower reciever, where this piece goes, to make it set correctly, and match the look of the screen used prop. (it's been over a year, since i did this step on mine, so you may want to look at the pics, and decide for yourself, how you want to approach this step.)

Step #4. Cut off all of the trigger guard, and cut the trigger itself down a bit, until it looks like the screen used trigger. (see pics bellow) Take a piece of aluminum, or steel, and cut it to the proper length, and width, and bend it into shape, to make your new trigger guard. (I used some steel Bar stock, from Lowes, it was already the right width, and looks pretty good to me, the screen used trigger guard was aluminum, but I like the look of my steel one) Once you have it shaped, drill a whole in it, that will line up with the bolt in front of where the old trigger guard used to be. Take the bolt out of the gun, put it through the new trigger guard, and screw it back into the gun. (see pics bellow.)

Step #5. Get a piece of metal rod, and cut it down to replace the pin you removed from the upper reciever, that holds in all the insidey parts. Polish it all up, and make it pretty, and put it back in the gun, to hold the everything in.

Step #6 You have a large whole in the top of your gun, from the part that you removed, and two small wholes on either side were those bolts were, along with one on the side of the upper reciever. Take a piece of thin metal tubing (I used a metal shower rod), and cut it down to length, with an angle at both ends. Polish it up, and JB weld it in to place over the wholes (see pics bellow)

Step #7. lighting the handle. I personally just took out most of the stuff in the grip frame. Then bout a little light strip with blue LEDs, and a 12v battery holder. I plain on using the switch that came with the gun, and is mounted behind the trigger, but i have yet to do that step. If you want a more even light, put a thin piece of styrene in the window, in the grip.

Step #8 paint the logos on either side of the gun, black. (take your time, I really messed this up, I took the logos off the gun, painted the, and glued them back on. They painted up great, but when I glued them back on, I got clue all over them, and ruined the paint job, now I'm trying to fix that, but I'm up to my 6th try at that. :( It not a hard task, I just suck at masking, and painting. lol )

Step #9. you'll need to find, or make, Alliance logos for the grips. On the screen used prop, these round logos are set into the grip a bit. (see the pics bellow)

That's about it. I just numbered the steps to keep them straight in my own mind, do them in any order you like. Most of the pictures used here are from Propstore, and are not of my own build (other then the ones that say they are) I just threw this all together last night, but I think it is all there. If you have any questions, please post, or PM, I would be happy to clear any of this up. And if you have any tips, suggestions, or corrections, please speak up. :)

I'll be sure to post pics of my finished pistol..... If I ever finish it.
Last edited by jason1976 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby zaebra » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:04 pm

great tutorial! just as an fyi, the part that they used to make the barrel (you called it part #2) is called an expansion chamber. :) (i was into paintball quite a bit several years ago.)
zaebra
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks zeabra. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, if you get all the insidey parts, back into the upper, and lower, recievers (or don't let them spring out in the first place) when your all done converting the paint marker, you should still be able to "kock" the gun. (or "charge" it, or "prime" it, or what ever you want to call readying your electro ray-gun. lol) You just pull back on the part you see in the cut out, bellow the scope rail, and above the painted over logos. It will click into place, and it will spring forward, if you pull the trigger, with a pretty hardy "ckick". In most versions I have seen, of the film used versions, escept for a couple of the shots above, it is almost always in the kocked position, but I did not want to glue mine in place, as it's kind of a cool effect. :)

Also, they used some very nice aluminum on this paint marker, it polishes up great with some mothers polish. You can get it so shiny, that you almost can't see where the polished aluminum ends, and the chrome starts. Witch is great, because when you cut down things like the scope rail, you will be exposing the aluminum, under the chrome. That said, be careful, not to take off any more Chrome then you need to. The polished aluminum, and chrome, may look great together to the naked eye, but under camera flash, they look very different.

If you have access to someone that could re-chrome if for you, the logos on the sides are easy to remove, as are the grips, and insidey parts, so that may be worh looking into. Other wise, just be ready for it to look a little different in pictures.

Or, if your not obsessed with screen accuracy, you could weather it up a bit, to make it look like the places were the aluminum is showing, is from natural wear, and tear. I'm going to have to do this, as I F'ed up too many times.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby zaebra » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:03 pm

if you want to post pics of the internals of the marker (that's what paintball "guns" are called. ;) ), it might be possible to wedge a 12 gram CO2 cartridge in there and have it still fire. i know most people wouldn't want or need that, but we do know several people who would find a prop that makes a loud bang and shoots a cloud of gas from the barrel handy for making films. :D i'm lookin' at you, yellowjacket and badger!
zaebra
Independent Soldier

Postby pennausamike » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:08 pm

Nice tutorial.
Makes me glad I got mine already built, tho'.
Only suggestion I would add would be to use a razor saw instead of a hacksaw for cutting.
The razor saw is thinner and has a VERY fine pitch (aka teeth per inch).

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Serenity