Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Wash Jumpsuit

Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

Wash Jumpsuit

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:41 am

Does anyone have any idea what the base jumpsuit for this is? I have been looking at tanker jumpsuits as flightsuits have zippers in the wrong spots.

I am thinking that it might be something of European origin as the gold zippers are very similar to the ones on the German flightsuit used as the undersuit on the Alliance Feds. But I cant shake the thought that this might be a custom piece - the material looks to be somewhat suede in nature...and those zippers on the right arm cannot have any practical purpose - they are too close together.

Any ideas? I already know that the knit material on the cuffs and neck, and that they used metallic OD piping to make the shoulder design. Thanks for the ID on the shoes found earlier in the threads

As you can see there are no zippers anywhere on the legs and the chest which would suggest that this is not a flightsuit, and it doesnt have the adjustable waist that most flightsuits do. I am stumped. Please help.
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Re: Wash Jumpsuit

Postby jason1976 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 am

I don't really have anything helpful to add here, but I have always loved this costume.

It's not one I would ever personally take on, because I already have a list of projects that I will probably never get done in my life time, but I do love the look of it.. (though I do want all the patches for my patch collections. got the round one, just order the five sided one, And hopefully, the triangle one will happen soon. ;))

I've seen most of those pics before, but never the one with the belt. Me thinx I'll be making a trip to the Army Navy surplus store, sometime in the next couple of weeks. (Hey, I may not do the who costume, but I can't pass up found items. :) )
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Crix13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:14 pm

I cant find anything on this. :(

I cant find any "flightsuits" or coveralls that have the knit cuffs or collar.

the closest I've come is a "racing suit" . they seem to have the "knit cuffs" but none have the kint collar.. and none even close to the right color..

I'll keep looking, but I am running out of ideas...
A DIFFERENT CRIX, one from
The 'Verse,a firefly/serenity costume club
http://theverse.proboards.com
Crix13
Blue Hand guy

Postby Crix13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 pm

i did find this quote at http://www.julienslive.com/view-auction ... /lot/5134/

"A khaki green CUSTOM flight suit with knit collar and cuffs worn by Hoban "Wash" Washburne, played by Alan Tudyk, in Serenity (Universal Pictures, 2005). The custom-made costume, marked "2nd," has pockets at the waist and sleeves and green cotton piping detail at the shoulders. Also included are three unique multi-colored mission patches. Accompanied by a copy of the film."
Crix13
Blue Hand guy

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:12 am

Crix - I know that there are no flightsuits with the knit material - that is what is custom about it - but something ha to be the base - unless was want to go with the assumption that the whole thing is a custom job.
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Crix13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am

ahh opps :) sorry bout that
I didnt know about the no knit on any jumpsuits. now I know... and knowing is half the battle...anyway :)

this was the closest I've come up with... but there are so many difference in this and Wash's, that I dont think this was it..
all I could find... sorry not much help :(
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/produc ... dacmc&ST=2
Crix13
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:15 am

You know this movie had a respectable budget, right?

Movies have custom made costumes for principal cast members, more often than not if the budget is there. Wash's costumes are as much a part of the production design as Mal's.

Why would it be safe to assume the jumpsuits were found items?

It's highly likely they were made from scratch.
One reason is that we all know how off the peg jumpsuits fit, right?

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby RobStyle » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 am

No matter what every time I see that jumpsuit I see a smelly pawn shop worker or taxi driver wearing a gaudy track suit. Add a couple gold chains and rings, even keep the tropical shirt, maybe add some pit stains...
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby clanger68 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Badger wrote:
It's highly likely they were made from scratch.
One reason is that we all know how off the peg jumpsuits fit, right?

Badger

Naturally I think Badger is absolutely correct. ("Hi Karl" *waves*) :D

Hi All,

I own one of the original Wash jumpsuit costumes, I was lucky enough to be able to hand pick it when Prop Store first got the consignment of props and costumes from Serenity.

Wash is pretty much my favourite character and I really liked the look of his movie costume.

I'm really happy I got a jumpsuit that I can screen match, it even has a stain (food) that can be seen in some BTS shots of Alan Tudyk wearing it on the Miranda location.

It has a taped collar so it stands more upright, as seen in the latter half of the movie with the blue T-shirt.

I also got a t-shirt that has been altered at the collar and has some lovely Tudyk stains on it!

There were three flight harness's to choose from and I wanted the one with the distinctive weathering, blob of silver paint on the left strap, on it that I'd seen in the trailers and interviews before the movie came out.

Turns out it was marked as the hero one, which was cool.

The jumpsuit has no labels, and no evidence of labels being removed.

The two zippers on the arm are for fake pockets.

I suppose a base coverall could have been adapted but it looks like it was a custom tailored article, I will take photos of it turned inside out if people want me to.

It's a nicely made costume.

Cheers,

Andy
clanger68
Reaver

Postby Badger » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Andy!

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Next

Return to Serenity