Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Maidenhead bar bottles

Props from the BDM - The Big Damn Movie

Re: Maidenhead bar bottles

Postby Tex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:38 am

Thanks for the refference images! these will help me whip up crisp , screen accurate labels. going to have the "good"? folks at Reddit make me a list of characters used in each. Then comes the font hunting. The earth that was bourbon label was done by whitefall at the rpf I believe. It was the inspiration to get things done with the right fonts (no offense whitefall).

Glad y'all dig my work. A fan of my fallout props just sent me the entire series and the BDM in the original packaging (not pirated copies). Realy suprised th hell out of me. Didn't know that One could garner fans like that for paper props , labels, and the like.

The verse is a funny ass place.
If you can't do something smart, Do something right.
Tex
Blue Hand guy

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:41 am

Great research and execution on all fronts! I really like your work.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am

pennausamike wrote:and a Whitefall redo ready to go.

Ok, so there are at least 3 different versions of the green bottle this label goes on. I forget the brand right now, but it has fancy water in it, in the real world. There was the version they used for the movie, with the movie label added. Then the company went to a bottle that looked almost the same, but it had their logo/name embossed on the glass. Then they went to a taller bottle, with a longer, narrower neck.

Anyway's, back in the day, I found one of the middle versions. (the one that looks like the movie version, but with the letters embossed on the side.) I bought it, and tried sanding the logo off, I actually got it off, just fine, but now my bottle is all hazy.

The point is, does anyone here, know how I can golish glass back to clear/green. lol
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Tex » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks yellowjacket, I'm a big fan of your work. working on an ice chest since I saw yours. Glad you dig the effort I put into my stuff.

On whitefall's labels: I really dig his work as it got me into firefly prop design, but the border on that label isn't totally accurate. I printed a sheet of them before I realised it needs a kind of plaid pattern at the edges big thank you to the members with nthe great pictures of bottles and labels(

On your bottle dillema: There is a headlight rubbing compound for cars used to restore scratched hazy lenses you may want to try. I used acetone (nailpolish remover will work on many) or a razor blade to remove most labels. Although I found a rather troublesome port bottle recently. Porto Morgado seems to use a paint that self etched into the glass. Makes removal all but impossible.
Tex
Blue Hand guy

Postby RobStyle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 pm

You can also use a hazing polish for boats. Its the same thing used to restore the plastic lenses on cars.

In regards to the bottle sizes, keep in mind one of those sizes is for break away bottles.
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby Tex » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:20 pm

I noticed the plastic stunt bottle used when river slapped it off the bar. Still trying to find a match for it.
Tex
Blue Hand guy

Postby Tex » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 pm

The russian bottle is made from a hendricks gin bottle. turns out to be the easiest one to get. Now to get on those cyrillic translations. Tumblr here I come.
Tex
Blue Hand guy

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:33 am

Ive got to get some of these for my prop display - time to break out the clear label stock and get printing! Got some bottles lying around that need labels.

This stuff looks great! The paper props here are some of the best I have seen - great work to all involved!
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby Wesclone » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:59 pm

Tex wrote:The russian bottle is made from a hendricks gin bottle. turns out to be the easiest one to get. Now to get on those cyrillic translations. Tumblr here I come.

Luckily, I'm a Russian translator for the army.

750 ML (of what I'll assume is) alcohol. (??? is an abbreviation for alcohol, ?? isn't a word, per se, but a conditional used to indicate "what if")
Volume 80 proof

REDARMY (again, not correct, but it's transliteration instead an actual translation. ??????? ????? is the Russian for Red Army)

The letters under are L G

Distilled bottled by? (again with the ??) Red Army distillery

Their Russian isn't real, but that's the intent of it.

Wes
Wesclone
Independent Soldier

Postby Tex » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Awesome! Saved me some frustration dealing with a translation subreddit. My russian is non-existant short of speaking a couple of lewd phrases. Do you suppose you could type out the rows of characters so I can copy, paste, and find the proper font? If so I Should be able to knock this out quickly. The strange label with the gibberish "writing" on the brown bottle is on the work table as well.
Tex
Blue Hand guy

PreviousNext

Return to Serenity