Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Patches of the Verse

Talk about anything Firefly related...

Patches of the Verse

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:00 am

In the interest of archiving screen-used, replicated and expanded Verse patches, I've decided to start an all purpose patch thread. Much like the 'Currency of the Verse' archive, this thread will show the provenance of these props and collectibles. It also gives us a place to discuss manufacturers and artisans that have helped make Firefly what it is and what it will become.

Starting at the first, we begin with the 'Independent' uniform patches that give rise to so many fan made emblems and flags. This triangular patch has also been much debated in terms of meaning, use and uniform orientation.

Shawna Trpcic, working as the primary costume designer for Firefly, first designed these for the Pilot episode and all flashback scenes from the War of Unification throughout the series. They appear on the uniforms of the Independents oriented upside down from the original drawings, which has been explained since the cancelation of the show as a 'wardrobe error' and has lead to not a few arguments about 'star point up' vs 'star point down'. Regardless, these three patches are among the most recognizable emblems of the Firefly fandom.

Screen-used patches from the series

During the run of the series, and following the cancelation, the 'Browncoat Patch' (as it was so often called) was widely recreated by fans. At first, most of these 'patches' featured a black star. Screen shots from the series were hard to come by and production materials and photographs were virtually nonexistent, so the black star circulated for several years. So many of them were made in fact, that you can still purchase the black star version from several providers.

Pins and flags were also created bearing the black star.

Later, as more materials and information were made available, it was learned that the star was in fact blue. This lead to the first produced 'blue star' patch, which was sold by Out To The Black Outfitters (now a branch of the Southeastern Browncoats). Thanks to Mike for the citation.

And another sold on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/listing/113916612/b ... blem-patch

The release of 'Firefly: The Official Companion, Volume One' was the most definitive publication and the first to cover the original designs by Shawna Trpcic and created by (citation needed).

In the spring of 2009, Karl Derrick offered the first and only un-embroidered, screen-accurate replica. This is the closest replica both in color, size and execution. Based on the original patches, the replicas utilized the screen-print methods employed to make many props in the series.

In addition to being accurate from the front, one of the patches also featured the back printing that was seen in the pilot episode 'Serenity'. Karl offered these limited replicas as sets.

The most common and most accurate 'embroidered' versions of the patches are now sold through patches 'n pins

The largest version to date appears on the Browncoat Hockey jersey created by Dave Delisle.

The original has also been modified by fans for use in the 76th Independent Battalion fan group…

…and as an Independent flag patch created by Tyler Sarna...

...and as a merit badge...

The use of the star and bars is widespread throughout the fandom on patches for Browncoat groups the world over.
Last edited by Yellowjacket on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Re: Patches of the Verse

Postby Manwihtoutfear » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks for starting this thread. I really enjoying seeing everything that has been done in the past. Especially the history behind the star color.

Man, I am really sad that I missed the patch set that Karl did. People who own those should covet them.

Is there a retailer or person who is generally regarded as "the place/person" to get the most accurate patches from? I ask because I see a lot of sellers on EBay and I never know if the patches are extremely accurate or not. If there is a person here on these boards, I am all ears.

Thanks again.

Mike
Manwihtoutfear
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:45 am

I have a black star patch, and I can't remember for the life of me how I came to have it, but I just ordered a Patches 'N Pins version just to see how all three compare. I'm a huge fan of the Karl replicas. I put the 'Captain' version on my brown jacket and wear it everywhere. I gave the 'Sergeant' version to my friend Ty for all of his hard work screening the CSTS shirts back to back in 2011 and 2012. I kept the 'Lieutenant' version in a safe place as the sole example with the back screened information. I would love a second set.

I would also like to see someone do aside by side comparison of the Lyndono patches if someone here has both versions.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 am

Loves me some patches. Would definitely have liked to nab one of those Badger sets but them's the breaks for showing up late to the party. Can't wait to see your Medic design added here, William. ;)

Manwihtoutfear wrote:Is there a retailer or person who is generally regarded as "the place/person" to get the most accurate patches from? I ask because I see a lot of sellers on EBay and I never know if the patches are extremely accurate or not. If there is a person here on these boards, I am all ears.

Thanks again.

Mike

Patches 'n Pins as mentioned above is the best place I know of to get the three embroidered Independent patches as well as a plethora of other in-universe ones.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:49 am

neverAcquiesce wrote:Can't wait to see your Medic design added here, William.

Soon.

The Alliance Police patch

This collectible is based on the patch seen on the pilot episode 'Serenity', and was replicated in 2011.

From idea to completion the project took less than a month and a half from art to finish. William Pace replicated the art and Sean Crowley handled the manufacture, sales and distribution to collectors.

Last edited by Yellowjacket on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:05 am

We need Mike to do a side by side comparison and history of the 12th Cavalry patches from QMx.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Manwihtoutfear » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:24 am

neverAcquiesce wrote:
Patches 'n Pins as mentioned above is the best place I know of to get the three embroidered Independent patches as well as a plethora of other in-universe ones.

Thanks for the link neverAcquiesce! I really appreciate it. I took a look at the site and can't wait to start gathering all if these patches.
Manwihtoutfear
Independent Soldier

Postby neverAcquiesce » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:33 am

Anytime, bud.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:55 am

William, this is a great thread you started here. As a patch Companion (don't ever call me whore!), I love to expand my collection, so I look forward to seeing patches that I might find that I didn't know existed, like the merit badge.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:57 am

This is great. And what a great place to start. :)

I did a thread like this over at the RPF in 2011

http://www.therpf.com/f9/firefly-sereni ... es-111781/

Since then, I have added a lot more patches to my collection. There are the Ariel EMT patches. The other 2 wash serenity patches. The small round EU (expanded universe) independence patches. etc. etc. etc.

I'll try to get some pics of my collection, and updated info, up here, in the next couple of days.

Patches n' pins, remains one of the best places to get most replica patches. They don't have everything, but they have a lot of them, and they real seem to care about getting it each patch just right. I have talked with them a few times, and they seem to always want to learn, and work with folks to give people what they want. Plus, they have free shipping in the U.S.

Patches I would love to see done is of course Yellowjacket's med patches, and hazard patch. Jayne's army Jacket patch (the Poliza, or however you spell that) patch. Accurate sized version of wash round and pentagonal serinity patches. (there are very nice vertions out there, but they look very small compared to the screen accurate 3rd patch that was done here last year) The round ZIR COM patch. etc. etc. etc. :)
jason1976
Browncoat

Next

Return to Firefly Talk