Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Firefly Online Cortex

Talk about anything Firefly related...

Firefly Online Cortex

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 am

So, how many have tried the Firefly Online Cortex app and what do you think of it?
It's kind of a game-while-we-wait-for-the-actual-game and is available for most android devices, ios and pc/mac via Steam.
As far as I understand it the brownie points that you gather via the Cortex will translate into currency in the FO game and you can collect various things for in-game rewards as well.

I admit that I went for the Big Damn Hero package as soon as I logged on, so I'm not entirely sure how interesting the free version is, but I do know that I have been flying around the 3D-generated map of the 'verse like there's no tomorrow. ^.^

The BDH package includes a virtual collectable card 'game' where you can collect sets of Firefly-related cards for more brownie points and in-game rewards. You get the cards via various crates that you get as rewards for collecting enough brownie points and/or flying the various trade routes available in the Map of the 'Verse section.
I'd suggest that you fly a few of the practice routes and poke around in the map, to familiarise yourself with where everything is, before you try your hand at the daily and weekly routes, since they are timed. I failed the weekly one because I didn't know where the Lux system was located...

As you can probably guess I've greatly enjoyed this. ;)
But let me know what you think.
The Evil League of Evil
Is watching so beware.
Stuart
Reaver

Re: Firefly Online Cortex

Postby JHiggins » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:23 pm

Honestly, my personal favorite thing about the Trade Routes is just hearing Nathan deliver some new 'Captain Mal' lines for the first time in 10 years. That alone is worth the price of admission. :mal:

That, and the music. I could listen to it all day.
JHiggins
Blue Hand guy

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:27 pm

Quite true.
And yes, the music is absolutely gorgeous. They have promised us a downloadable soundtrack, if I recall correctly, when the actual game comes out. :)
The Evil League of Evil
Is watching so beware.
Stuart
Reaver

Postby JHiggins » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:19 am

Was going through some old Firefly Online blog postings, and just found this awesome 8-bit version of the Firefly theme -- done by the games composer as an April Fool's Joke: https://keepflying.com/wp-content/uploa ... -8-bit.mp3
JHiggins
Blue Hand guy

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:17 am

I toyed around with it the first day and had a very enjoyable time. I like the music.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:45 am

JHiggins wrote:Was going through some old Firefly Online blog postings, and just found this awesome 8-bit version of the Firefly theme -- done by the games composer as an April Fool's Joke: https://keepflying.com/wp-content/uploa ... -8-bit.mp3

I forgot to download this theme until now, and I love it! Brings back the memories of my time on the Commodore 64, which were good times. Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:37 am

I've been enjoying poking around the map and seeing what injokes I can spot. As a fan of Heinlein, it was nice to see a whole system named after him along with the various planets and moons referencing his work.

And agreed on the soundtrack. I doubt I could explain, but it just fits well with the existing work.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby Rio Cheng » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 am

I've been plugging away at the Cortex since it launched. I still find the trade routes oddly entertaining, even after achieving all that can be done at this point until the next series of cards and more additions are released.
Rio Cheng
Reaver

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:12 am

I made a jest about GORE as were waiting for a delayed announcement. Mind you, it was historical and I cited example, but wow did GORE take it badly. He got me permanently banned from one of the largest Firefly Online groups out there.

What does one eat or drink for a banning? I've never been banned before.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:20 pm

Wow.

I suppose you would drink or eat something appropriate to how you felt about the place/mods doing the banning. If you liked the site and would miss it, lift a glass in remembrance. If you didn't like it as much, eat or drink something celebratory.

But really, I'm not sure what the etiquette/rules are for something like this.

Anybody out there know?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Next

Return to Firefly Talk