Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Browncoat Ball of 2017 goes to ... GETTYSBURG, PA!!

Talk about anything Firefly related...

Browncoat Ball of 2017 goes to ... GETTYSBURG, PA!!

Postby taimdala » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:10 pm

pennausamike, it's finally in your neck of the woods! AND I can drive to it if I can get the time off. Maybe we can throw a little Fireflyprops.net Bash before/during/after?

I just wanted to pass on the word.

See more information about it here (it's in the righthand sidebar).

It got announced by the Browncoat Ball FB yesterday and their post about it is here (currently 2nd one down).
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Re: Browncoat Ball of 2017 goes to ... GETTYSBURG, PA!!

Postby taimdala » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:11 pm

Also: It will mark the SECOND TIME Pennsylvania got to host. I almost went to the 2007 BCB but found out about it only 2 weeks out--too late to make plans.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:03 pm

So I counted it up ... Gettysburg will make 6 BCBs East of the Appalachians.

2007 Philadelphia PA
2010 Charlotte NC (I went to this one and helped out with the decorating)
2011 Warwick RI
2014 Greenville SC (I helped out with this one as well bit didn't get to go)
2015 Virgina Beach, VA
2017 Gettysburg PA

Other years, we had:
2004 Chicago IL (The very first!)
2005 (skipped this year to avoid detracting from the BDM release)
2006 San Francisco CA
2008 Austin TX
2009 Portland OR
2012 Albuquerque NM
2013 Phoenix AZ
2016 Salt Lake City UT

It's odd but Chicago is the only Midwest location to host. That hardly seems fair. There are lots of big cities with interesting things to do and see in the Midwest:

St. Louis MO (Far too many things to list here but there's a zoo, the famous Arch, tons of Edwardian/Victorian architecture, a hands-on science center, and if I'm not mistaken, Anheuser-Busch Brewery)
Mansfield MO (Notable for being the site of Laura Ingalls Wilder's final home after a life of multiple moves)
Independence MO (Lots of historical sites here)
Branson MO (Country Music Central!)
Memphis TN (Tons of Museums, annual Arts Fairs and Cultural Fairs, and historical districts)
Pigeon Forge TN (theme parks, car shows, and the Great Smoky Mountains)
Knoxville TN (Theatres, Museums, and grand old homes ... and the Great Smoky Mountains)
Nashville TN (In addition to the familiar Blues and Elvis attractions, they also have arts/music festivals, including an Octoberfest that's one of the largest in the South.)
Louisville KY (I wonder if the Derby will be running during the Ball?)
Mammoth Cave National Park is also in Kentucky and if the park has camping facilities/camp ground with cooking/bathing facilities, this might be an awesome site for a Ball. As for the caves, they're gorgeous and awesome. I saw them when I was 4 1/2.

Actually, just looking up top attractions for the entire state, Louisville has a castle, a historical cemetery, the Louisville Slugger museum, a horse park and Churchill Downs. There is also a cave nearby, too, Louisville Mega Cavern. Geez, why the hell they haven't hosted yet is beyond me. This would be a great place to throw a ball!

Ditto for St. Louis!

Does anyone here know of any Browncoat groups in these areas? I hate to think that the reason these cities haven't bid for the BCB is because there are NO BROWNCOATS LIVING THERE.
Last edited by taimdala on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm on the Gettysburg BCB committee at a responsibility level between minion
(which is the committee nickname for those folks who do all the thankless tasks that no event can run without)
and under an actual important person who makes decisions.
F'r'nstance, if a ticket was given away as part of the announcement, I designed that.
(Tho', the Ball logo was designed by a real graphic artist.)
Obviously, I won't be posting beyond official announcements,
other than to say that I've offered my collection for use as the committee sees fit.
As this is the Firefly PROP forum that has done so much to make my collection possible,
I will check to see if I can throw an occasional prop collection tease out there.

I'm very excited for this and hope that I can finally meet a few electrons-in-the-ether-folks for real!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm excited too! For pretty much the same reasons!

If I do get to go, rest assured I'll be bringing my laptop and hard drives with me. Have laptop, will travel!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:43 pm

Well, you notice that Alabama is NOT on that list. If it is not sports related, it don't show up here. Must an Alliance friendly state.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 am

Alabama isn't on the list.

Neither is Louisiana (despite having New Orleans)
or
Mississipi (despite having Natchez).
or
Florida (despite having the incomprable MikeJ.)
or
Georgia (but they hog the limelight wth Dragon*Con every year, so I don't feel so bad for them.)
or
West Virgina (despite all the beautiful mountains and rustic everything)
or
Delaware (for its central location to lots of cool stuff)
or
Maryland (the Eastern Shore. Nuff said!)
or
New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Maine.

And let's not forget Ohio (despite it having the best damn city in the whole world, Cleveland--to hear my SIL say it)

Or Arkansas, Indiana, or Iowa.

I didn't mention Minneapolis, Minnesota, which I think would be fantastic--but then again, I am SUCH a War for the Oaks fangirl, it ain't even funny. I suppose given Minnesota's position relative to the Mississippi, it technically doens't count as being east of Ol' Muddy, but I'm SUCH a War for the Oaks fangirl, it don't make no nevermind anyhow.

Or Wisconsin (another connection to Laura Ingalls Wilder)

Or Michigan (the U.P. is AMAZING COUNTRY!!! And I would want to throw it on the shores of Paradise, MI.)

There's a whole lot of country East of the Mississippi that would fit the bill ... but somehow they haven't won the bid yet. Again, not being privy to the bid applicants, I have no idea if they've even tried bidding, but we've had an impressive number of balls in an impressive number of places!

Here's to having a whole helluva impressive amount more!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:09 am

The only Browncoat doings in Alabama is what I am doing, watch our BDH on DVD.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby FengLe » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Shiny, we can't wait to go to this one. Close enough to home that we can make it. Great news!!!!
FengLe, from the Mandarin fēng le meaning "crazy, loopy in the head", as spoken by Janye in Bushwhacked, as translated in the Firefly Gorramn Shiniest Dictionary and Phrasebook in the 'Verse.
FengLe
Reaver

Postby pennausamike » Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 am

Well, the Gettysburg BCB is two days more than only 3 months away.
It is more than 2/3rds sold out, last I checked, so for anyone on the fence about going,
it's probably time to leap.
The updated website info is here:
http://www.browncoatball.com/2017/

The track I'm involved with is:
My Pretty Floral Bonnet
Costuming & Props in Eisenhower Room, 1:00pm-3:00pm

You’ve been birddoggin’ this township a while now. They wouldn’t mind a corpse of you.
Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal,
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you. — Captain Malcolm “Mal” Reynolds, “Our Mrs. Reynolds”, Firefly

“My Pretty Floral Bonnet” track will stay back at the hotel for presentations by Kara Bocek
http://www.cornerclothiers.com/
and Karin Bohleke
http://fashionarchives.org/director.html
about the historical fashions and uniforms that inspired costumes in Firefly and Serenity.
Mike McGuirk
http://fireflydvd.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3541
will discuss the props of Firefly and Serenity, and selections of his collection will be on display.

(Unfortunately, "my" link redirects to the now defunct serenitymovie.net)
The 2017 BCB is shaping up to be my last hurrah in the fandom,
so I'm dragging out pretty much everything I can over the two days I'm involved.
I'd like to think I have a nice presentation on both props and costumes shaping up,
and I'd like to get the audience involved as much as the group size and conduct allows.
(Don't worry; I won't forget the grenades.)

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Next

Return to Firefly Talk