Independent Soldier

Re: Fiction Incoming

Postby cdabel » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:52 pm

Very exciting news.
cdabel
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm curious about the quality of the writing, the story, and the possibility of the books expanding to include stories made up of original character(s).

Fingers crossed! :D
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 pm

I'm with Mary.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Nobody's expecting a masterpiece of modern literature. But if it's comparable to a Star Wars novel I'll be happy. I've been wanting something like this since learning the Serenity novelization was intended to lead to them a decade plus ago.
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:41 pm

neverAcquiesce wrote:Nobody's expecting a masterpiece of modern literature. But if it's comparable to a Star Wars novel I'll be happy. I've been wanting something like this since learning the Serenity novelization was intended to lead to them a decade plus ago.

I confess I am not expecting literature but I do want something that's written well. Of course my standards for what qualifies as well-written will be different from everyone else's.

****WARNING: WITHERING CYNICISM AHEAD!****
*******Drag cursor to reveal my comments*******

What I want:
*realistic character choices and development
*a rock-solid understanding of the setting
*a good integration of history and human nature
*a story that doesn't shackle itself to Mal and his crew--there's a whole UNIVERSE of material going unexplored. It's time we started exploring it.

What I think we'll get:
*the same characters from the show, most likely PRE-DEATH Wash and Book
*fluctuating quality of setting and its depiction
*a less realistic presentation of human nature and a myopic view of history
*In short: weak-ish tea.

If I'm right and the second category is what we end up getting, I would rather read my old logs from past Serenity RPG campaigns. It would be time better spent.

Heck, I'm perfectly willing to share the links to the log websites if anyone's interested. I'm sure the GM would lbe tickled to see the traffic.

THAT SAID ...
If--and it's going to be a big if--the initial book titles do well at the cash register, perhaps PERHAPS the license holder(s) will consider a PARALLEL series of books that will cover the material I want. I'm afraid that I'm the only one I know in my circle of friends who'd be interested in the books at all. Helping the books bottom line by buying them as gifts won't work and I'm approaching the point where I am reluctant to buy a book that will only clutter up the house. I have plenty of those already, thanks.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:05 am

taimdala wrote:...and I'm approaching the point where I am reluctant to buy a book that will only clutter up the house. I have plenty of those already, thanks.

Then you really need THIS
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1834
high value, low availability item at the reduced price of $100 shipped, USA!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:10 am

Oooh! You ... you ... you TEMPTOR, you!!!
taimdala
Browncoat

Return to Firefly Talk