Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

My Mal Pistol Project

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Re: My Mal Pistol Project

Postby TK421 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 am

I wish I had the resources to pull that off! Good luck on the furnace.

I know you said earlier in the thread that you had no interest in providing parts to others for licensing reasons (probably a smart call), however is there any chance you would be willing to share your 3d model? I have attempted to draft one before, but my skills are somewhat lacking.
TK421
Reaver

Postby drewsmith007 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:34 am

I won't want to share the files, partly for the same reason as not selling anything, and partly for reasons I don't want to get into. Sorry.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 am

I think it pretty unreasonable to ask him to share the model files.
There's a lot of work in them, and the originator has no control over what happens to them when they get 'shared'. Also, there's nothing whatsoever in it for the originator.

I get asked for my files fairly regularly, along with the classic: 'I can't afford one of your holster rigs, will you 'share' the original pattern so I can make my own?'

:)

I have a question Drewsmith. Why are you making your own furnace and casting system just to make one finished model for yourself?
There are plenty of small run foundries out there who will cast the parts for you, and for a fraction of the cost of making your own system. Why spend the money?

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby TK421 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 am

Totally understandable, just figured I'd ask. I guess it's back to the drawing board (literally). I'm still interested to see how this turns out, I hope you get your metal cast one way or another
TK421
Reaver

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:30 am

I feel your pain.

It was a very long and difficult road producing the Model 47 and then the 47A.

The Mal pistol is a very tricky prop to realize in metal, in any practical way. The original pistols were notoriously clanky, shaky and difficult to handle. Prop man's nightmare :)

Brass is probably the very worst choice of metal for a Hero prop. Bad combination of soft and heavy. If I were to go back and do them again, I'd probably go with brass plated Zinc castings

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby drewsmith007 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm building the equipment to do them myself mostly for the fun of it. I looked into a local foundry when I first started the printing, and they weren't interested in such a small run. A local university has an art furnace, but wanted me to enroll in a sculpture class first, then the casting class, and then I was limited to bronze. I've been interested in metalcasting for years, long before I found firefly, so I thought this would be a good, albeit difficult, reason to dive in head first.

I happen to be in Kansas City this week for work training, and I'm swinging by a foundry place to pick up some supplies. I'll try to document the whole process, but I'm not very good at remembering to take pictures. Might have to enlist the girlfriend as official photographer, just have her take a pic every time she comes to bug me!
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby TK421 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:52 am

Remembering to take pictures is often the hardest part! If you do manage to get any pictures, I know I would love to see them, I too have been trying to do some basic metal casting for a while now. Definitely not the easiest our cheapest hobby in the world, but super interesting.
TK421
Reaver

Postby mandio222 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

Badger wrote:Brass is probably the very worst choice of metal for a Hero prop. Bad combination of soft and heavy. If I were to go back and do them again, I'd probably go with brass plated Zinc castings

Thats a great idea, you should do it... :D
mandio222
Blue Hand guy

Postby Badger » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 pm

I doubt I'll ever make another Mal pistol.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby namebrand » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:49 am

I keep trying to convince him too!
namebrand
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Recurring props and costumes