Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The whole gorram ship? (standing set)

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Re: The whole gorram ship? (standing set)

Postby jason1976 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:05 am

I forget all the details, as it's been years since I read about it, but I have seen a number of articles saying that the original bridge set for the enterprise D (the one from ST:TNG) was in tact, somewhere in California, and that they rent it out to the public. It stays in one place, but you rent time on it, for parties, photo shoots, etc. (I'm not talking about the replica they built in Los Vegas for the "experience", I'm talking about the original set.)

It's been years, since I have heard anything about it, so maybe it's not around anymore, but my point is, maybe building a firefly for a fan film, isn't they way to go. Maybe, someone, with way too much money, and time, could organize the building of a firefly experience. (even with kickstarter, it would help to have money to start with, and to maintain the controlling interest in the project)

I mean, yes this person (or people) would have to get permits, and licenses, and permissions, etc. BUT, they idea would be to get a large plot of land, say in the south west, build a sturdy, weather proof, fully realized, replica of serenity. Maybe even set it up nere an old timey, ghost town. Then make it a destination. People could go, hang out, tour the replica, dress up, take pics, make videos, maybe even live the life, for a few days. That would be it's main sores of income, but you could also rent it out for fan films, etc.

There used to be this ghost town in ohio, that did that every few years, for Klingons, The folks would come and live in those costumes for weeks, living, talking, etc. like Klingons.

We have a number of historical villages here in Ohio. People volunteer, year round, to dress up, and spend their days in the villages, walking the walk, and talking the talk, to enrich the experience. Plus, a number of times a year, they have special events that take place over days, sometimes weeks. Like each summer, the village attached to our historical society, has a civil war event, were reinters live the life. They dress up, sleep in period tents, and reinact battles, down to every detail, and the public is welcome to coe and watch.

Come to think of it, I think I have even seen a few threads on here, about groups around the contry, the set up firefly role playing events, where everyone dresses up, and goes to a park, or something, and live the life, for a weekend, or something like that.

this would just be a much more organized, professional venture. A year round destination, with special events throughout the year, to keep them coming back.

I mean, think about it. You could rent out for birthday parties, business retreats, team building exorcises, reinactors, fan films. etc. etc. etc.

I know, I know, there are too many license holders, standing in the way. and Fox, would almost certainly walk all over anyone who tried it. Or, if they did allow it, they would take over, and suck all the joy, and money, out of it. But it would be fun.......Maybe we could do it in some other country outside the reach of the licenses. :lol:
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby newbabel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:39 pm

jason1976 wrote:
It's been years, since I have heard anything about it, so maybe it's not around anymore, but my point is, maybe building a firefly for a fan film, isn't they way to go. Maybe, someone, with way too much money, and time, could organize the building of a firefly experience. (even with kickstarter, it would help to have money to start with, and to maintain the controlling interest in the project)

Yeah, there's no doubt that anyone who hosts the construction of the set should find a way to monetize it. That's a given. :)

And the easiest way around this stuff is by choosing your words veeeeeeery carefully. No one could build a "Firefly" set and not be set upon by FOX's IP attorneys, but you could build a "space western" set and no one can say "boo."

And the more I think about it, the more I think that no two Firefly-class vessels still flying would look at all alike. We shouldn't be aiming to rebuild Serenity. We should set about making our own ship. By the fans, for the fans. So we can keep flying.

Part of the film I'm shooting is being shot in a ghost town about 12 miles outside of Austin. They also have another organization called "Scare for a Cure" that runs haunted houses and such off that land. It seems like a big piece of property and the horror folks are already helping to build sets for my production. Maybe there's room for our new Firefly out there...

I'll ask.
Is... is there blubber?
newbabel
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:57 pm

newbabel, I love how you feel that it's unlikely that there would be two matching Firefly-class vessels flying in the Verse. I've been a firm believer in making NEW Verse material, instead of slavishly cleaving to only the screen-used material, since I first fell in love with the show. I find it frustrating when I run into fans that won't accept anything else as "Firefly", because it feels like they're trying to squeeze my brain in a smaller and smaller box, instead of letting it roam free where it can breathe and be creative. The Verse is an incredibly HUGE VASTY place. Why limit yourself to just a teeny tiny piece of it?

We have a lot of Expansionists/Expanded Verse people here. I'm glad to see that we're still attracting more. :D
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby newbabel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:04 pm

taimdala wrote:We have a lot of Expansionists/Expanded Verse people here. I'm glad to see that we're still attracting more. :D

Resistance to new things is natural, eh? :)

I remember watching the first episode of ST:TNG and looking at Picard and Wesley and Worf and Wesley (yes, I said it twice) and I was thinking, "Oh, this is never going to work! He's bald! That's the kid from Stand By Me who had leeches on his nuts! And there's a KLINGON ON THE BRIDGE! KILL IT!"

The key to winning people over is consistently good stories over time. We just need more people here to start producing them! :lol:
Is... is there blubber?
newbabel
Alliance soldier

Postby jason1976 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:20 pm

Yeah, I would be 100% in that resistance to new things category. I'm a fan of firefly the show. Not the EU, and not what fans cook up, out of left field. To each there own, but I would not back, or work on the construction of, a "space western" ship. That said, there are a lot of folks around here that can't get enough of that stuff, and I wish you luck.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby newbabel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:30 pm

In other words, "SHUT UP, WESLEY!" :lol:

Hehe. No worries, mate.
Is... is there blubber?
newbabel
Alliance soldier

Postby jason1976 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:42 pm

As is so often the case, I think I over stated my point. I wasn't trying to discourage you. I respect your drive/zeal. There are tons of folks around here that love EU projects, many of them seem to prefer them at this point. I think this could be done. Like you pointed out, it has been done for star trek, and other fan franchises, so why not this? I was only say that I personally am not an EU guy, and really have nothing to offer this project, and would be more interested in seeing a replica of the ship from the show, built, but that's just me. I'm only speeking for myself, not the oceans of fans out there that might be into this.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby newbabel » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Seriously, no worries! I didn't take it badly.

And nothing would please me more than Joss coming back to helm a second season with all the original actors, but that's not happening soon, and guys like Julian and I can't get Nathan Fillion or Alan Tudyk to show up and play with us for a few days, so we make do with new characters and new ships and new stories. Hopefully, we'll have fun doing it and it'll help scratch an itch that some other folks are having while we're at it!

Whatever comes of it, I hope you'll give the film a look when it's done. :)
Is... is there blubber?
newbabel
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:00 am

It's been nearly a hear and a half since the last post to this thread and I was wondering if there's been any progress on the project.

Let me know! I'm still interested! :D
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby newbabel » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:03 am

Hey there! The film is actually in the editing room right now. The shoot went beautifully. We had great actors, amazing locations, and a small but dedicated crew. The film will be done with the rough cut in another week or so, but still needs to go out for scoring. Looking at October/November for a release date!
Is... is there blubber?
newbabel
Alliance soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Recurring props and costumes