Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Jayne's Boot Gaiters

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Jayne's Boot Gaiters

Postby Entropy_80 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:29 pm

Evenin' all,

This is my first post here after looking around for a long time taking in tips and advice. So far everyone has been a great help.

I'm currently putting together a Jayne Cobb cosplay for Birmingham Comicon this November, but one area I am struggling on is Jayne's boot gaiters. Due to the time constraints, it's not going to be super accurate but I'm going to do my best.

Can anyone help me please as to where or how I can get my hands on a pair please?

Also, I'm struggling to find a leather knife sheath that is 7" in length.

I really appreciate anyone's help with this please.

Cheers

Mike
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Entropy_80
Mudder

Re: Jayne's Boot Gaiters

Postby taimdala » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:05 am

Hi Mike!

Okay, to answer the question of the gaiters, they look like something fabricated for the show on the spot. So ... you're not likely to find them in a store, if I'm right.

I think I know what they are made of and how they're constructed, though--the picture you've got is MARVELOUS.

I think we're looking at regular woven nylon strapping, sewn together three rows high to make the cuff. The pinch-clasp buckles are easy enough to find in any sewing department in a store. What I can't quite determine is if the cuff is a flat rectangle held around the boot by the buckles...

... OR ...

If the cuff is actually a tube that is slipped on over the calf before putting on the boot, then moved down into the proper position, AND THEN buckled down tighter by the buckles. The buckle halves would have to be sewn on with a gap between them, so as to use them as a cinching mechanism, allowing the cuff to be tightened around the boot.

THAT is how *I* would make this, in any event, using nylon web straps and the buckles, and maybe making them circular cuffs instead of something flat that you have to wrap like a scarf around your ankles.

I hope this helps!
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Entropy_80 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi Taimdala,

Thanks for the reply :)

I think you may be right with option number one.

I've done a bit of digging and found these 2 images on Google that should shed some light on the construction

your assumption that is a rectangular piece made up of 3 x 50mm webbing straps with 25mm webbing used for the clips

Fastened like this

I also found this version that shows an alternative method of fixing using what could be Velcro on the reverse side

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Entropy_80
Mudder

Postby taimdala » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:07 pm

Wow. Yeah. If I had to choose, I'd choose the ones with the straps that go all the way across, either velco-closed or clip-closed.

If you look at the light olive green/grey version pictured above. you can see how the straps were sewn down to anchor them at either end.... but there are large gaps in the middle where the straps are lying free and separate on top of the nylon cuff. That run of free strap would be perfect place to clip on an ankle holster for a back-up piece, or a small knife.

And maybe that's what the cuff was designed for. ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:10 pm

Though I gotta admit, if the cuff is intended to be an anchor for a holster, having three straps is kinda cheesy when two will do.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Entropy_80 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:16 am

I think the strapped version rather than the velcro

Just need to purchase materials and get the sewing needles out :)

I am going to take a guess that the gaiters are approx 12" long x 6" high ?
Entropy_80
Mudder

Postby Entropy_80 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Right then....

1 x 5m roll of 50mm webbing
1 x 5m roll of 25mm webbing
10 x 25mm plastic buckles

All purchase and should arrive here next Tuesday....(ring any bells with a certain other Sci-Fi Franchise?)

I'll post op WiP as well for you all

:)
Entropy_80
Mudder

Postby taimdala » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Shiny! :)
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Crix13 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:47 pm

someone told me they are something used for stunt men (or women) in the movies... but I have yet to find anything to confirm that..

here are mine and a few others
http://theverse.proboards.com/thread/33 ... ss-gaitors
A DIFFERENT CRIX, one from
The 'Verse,a firefly/serenity costume club
http://theverse.proboards.com
Crix13
Blue Hand guy

Postby Miker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:25 am

They look great. The one's on Jane's legs seem to be scuffed up with black boot polish. Hard to tell.
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot em"
Miker
Independent Soldier

Next

Return to Recurring props and costumes