Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Building a wall mounted communications device

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Building a wall mounted communications device

Postby dsears30 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks to Namebrand I get to build this!

I had the board ready (again thanks to Namebrand), PAL and pedal mounted, so was just waiting on the keyboard and monitor. Those are Extremely Rare and if you see one that's reasonable, get it!

Got the monitor cut down to the size I wanted, the lights working in the keyboard, mounted it to the board, plus painted both to cover Motorola labels, and two red keys. I was able to get some transparency's made for the screen display, just working on the back lighting and than figuring out how to mount it. Once you cut the monitor there isn't much to connect it to the board with. So if anyone made one please share. Here is how it looks now and the screen displays just held to the light. I forgot who posted those, but a huge Thanks!

Once it's done I will have the nicest, largest, heaviest and rarest nightlight for my collection.
Attachments
twin shot med.jpg
Red in front of window.jpg
green ship held to light bulb.jpg
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Re: Building a wall mounted communications device

Postby pennausamike » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:01 pm

I think it is neat that you figured out how to print transparencies.
Those are the kinds of things that often stymie my projects for years.
So, congrats on the huge nightlight!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm

dsears30 wrote: Here is how it looks now and the screen displays just held to the light. I forgot who posted those, but a huge Thanks!

You're welcome. :)
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby dsears30 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 am

Thank you both, your opinions, ideas and help are greatly appreciated! I’ve seen ya’lls work.

And now “Duh” on mounting the monitor.
I used a thin piece of wood ¼” and cut it out to fit the bottom and put some small braces inside to ensure it doesn’t slip inside. I will mount the lights to it and then to the backboard, then I can glue the monitor to the fitted bottom section. So no screws or anything will show.
I also found a triple strand of round LED lights that have a dimmer switch. The picture is on low, brighter looked great but not in pictures. These along with a lining of thin white packing foam inserted between lights and display, to break up the lighting and the round shape of the lights don’t show through. And now were going camping soon, right when the progress was moving forward. But hey, it will do me good to step away from it for a few days.
The picture of the lighted display is just set together for now, but wanted to share it.
Attachments
1.jpg
Bottom section built.jpg
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby dsears30 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:25 am

Now just to add the two side back brackets to give me options when hanging it, plus to mount the light box back there. Once the monitor really dries I can drill a hole to put the pigtail wire through. Than she's ready to go. I have enjoyed this build and now one of my favorites. If I only had room and wall space in the house. But now it can go in the garage and hang next to my oxygen mask. Not my Badger purchased screen used one (it's safe on a shelf) , but one just like it. Sorry I took the pics right after finishing the wiring, didn't dust it off.
Attachments
Group shot med.jpg
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Excellently done, it looks like one of the ones from the wall of Serenity.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby dsears30 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:19 pm

It looks much better in person, sorry garage doesn’t have the perfect lighting to capture the appearance. But now she is done and added the emergency air mask beside it, for a special touch. Thanks to all for their input and helping me find the items needed to build this one. I had some time the other day and was able to take it apart, I needed to dull the inner lights down a bit. This is a better shot of it now, it still looks better in person
Attachments
done 1 with Firefly added small.jpg
Last edited by dsears30 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:48 am

OH NICE!!! Great job! And I bet your garage looks more like a cargo bay, too! NICE JOB!! :thumbsup:
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Return to Recurring props and costumes