Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Simon's sickbay couch

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Re: Simon's sickbay couch

Postby RobStyle » Sat May 17, 2014 7:19 am

I was about to say I have in hand reference photos if it was damaged in shipping, good to hear it wasnt lost. Too bad that shipping company dropped the ball on such a large item. Those companies rely on word of mouth more than advertising. Pushing the blame is customer service no no 101.

Try loading it into the back of a cargo van, alone, from ground level then get back to me. Its more than 300 pounds or else its awkward in my arms. Ive lifted and walked with engine blocks flat off the pavement with more ease than that chair.

I see you have a wood or laminate floor. I highly suggest putting it on its own deck or else you may end up with some floor damage/warpage. Even a thin sheet of plywood will do the job of dispersing the weight so the wood/laminate can expand/contract with the weather. If you add felt to the entire wood backing, youll likely be able to slide the chair without damaging the floor as well.
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Sat May 17, 2014 8:07 am

I agree, it's a beastie.

Personally I was thankful the rental house had the steel dolly made up for it, or we wouldn't have been able to movie it at all.

:)

I must say I'm delighted the chair is in a good Browncoat home. It took a while, but we got there.

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Bronson BB » Mon May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

AZSneed wrote:Next up, recreating the infirmary.

I've already been looking on eBay for these: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=108
I'm going to wait and let my wallet breathe for a month or so first, though.

RobStyle wrote:I was about to say I have in hand reference photos if it was damaged in shipping, good to hear it wasnt lost. Too bad that shipping company dropped the ball on such a large item. Those companies rely on word of mouth more than advertising. Pushing the blame is customer service no no 101.

Try loading it into the back of a cargo van, alone, from ground level then get back to me. Its more than 300 pounds or else its awkward in my arms. Ive lifted and walked with engine blocks flat off the pavement with more ease than that chair.

I see you have a wood or laminate floor. I highly suggest putting it on its own deck or else you may end up with some floor damage/warpage. Even a thin sheet of plywood will do the job of dispersing the weight so the wood/laminate can expand/contract with the weather. If you add felt to the entire wood backing, youll likely be able to slide the chair without damaging the floor as well.

I don't know if I can call this shipping damage, but the chair back wouldn't move when I first got it unpacked. I ended up taking the whole back off, and getting into the mechanism for that lever. It turned out that a fat pin/screw thing had broken in half just inside some threads, and the threaded end wouldn't budge. Right now, the 'head' side has enough thread on it that I was able to stick it back in there, but it's not holding on by much. I need to get it tapped out and replaced.

I don't know how you didn't end up prolapsing something, trying to get this monster into a van! You must have some guns on you, sir!

Oh, believe me, that wood floor is in terrible shape, and needs to be pulled up, so a little more damage won't even show. But the chair can't live there for too long as it's within reach of my two year old where it is. I've been toying with the idea of putting the chair in the room we call 'the museum'. As you might guess, it's were most of our other props are already on display. I just need to move stuff around a bit to fit it.
It really does need a bit of wood under it, though. And I figured I'd try to replicate the black 'box' that it sat in on set as well. I figure they just did that to hide the wheelie base anyway.

Badger wrote:I agree, it's a beastie.

Personally I was thankful the rental house had the steel dolly made up for it, or we wouldn't have been able to movie it at all.

:)

I must say I'm delighted the chair is in a good Browncoat home. It took a while, but we got there.

Badger

Oh, MAN yeah! If it weren't for that dolly, the chair would still be in my garage. I was bad enough getting it up the three steps into the house as it was. Alone. An I also am pretty tickled that it has a good home. :)
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed May 11, 2016 11:52 pm

Step one...

Step two. Convince BronsonBB to get me detail photos of the upholstery color.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Thu May 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Uuuuuummm.....
Darker.

Some pictures from when the chair and my son arrived on the same week.

Image Image Image Image
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby dsears30 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:12 pm

Well congratulation on this very fine piece of history and the son.
dsears30
Independent Soldier

Previous

Return to Recurring props and costumes