Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Simon's sickbay couch

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Re: Simon's sickbay couch

Postby Badger » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:47 am

It's weird to know someone who' s this oblivious.

I doubt he'd notice if he was alight.

I once asked him how the hell he was a fan of anything. I mean you have to 'notice' something to watch it, right?

I know exactly what will happen when he notices the couch. He'll go 'Oh Wow!'. He look at it really carefully for a long time then announce gravely that it 'Looks just like the one from the show... where'd ya geddit?'

He looked at the #1 Browncoat and thought it was 'A good effort, but off on the details'.

I've known him for years and I still don't think he really understands about the collection. My best guess is that he thinks I'm a nutjob who made/found/bought loads of stuff which looks like stuff from Firefly.

What his internal explanation for 'Vera' being here is, I don't simply don't know.

It's people like him keep it interesting.

I expect he'll get me the FFOC Vol 1 for Christmas.......

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby R2Dan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Badger wrote:I expect he'll get me the FFOC Vol 1 for Christmas.......

Damn, now I have to come up with something new... hey guys, there are more than one volume, right?

Hilarious stuff Badger!
R2Dan
Independent Soldier

Postby Bronson BB » Thu May 15, 2014 8:55 pm

So, most of you will remember that Badger tried several times over the last couple years to find a buyer for the exam chair. I never did get the money together myself, but I was able to get a 'backer' when I posted a plea on an easel at one of the Shindigs I hosted last year.

So, `round Novemberish, money change hands, and the exam chair became what I consider the property of the New England Browncoats.

However, that's when the trouble started. The (shall remain unnamed) shipping company didn't think they needed to send two guys and they didn't think they needed a truck with a lift gate. OK. So that slowed down shipping by a day or three.

Everything went well for a week or two, I guess. The shipping company boxed the chair up and stuck it on a plane with an email to me that it should be in the U.S. by early December. I had given them my phone number, so I would get a call from the airline (U.S. Airways) once the chair had cleared customs and any other flaming hoops were properly jumped through.

But, hey! Early December is 'The Holidays', and you know who gets busy during The Holidays? Shipping companies, airlines, Customs, I'd imagine... So when I didn't get a call right away, I figured that, being a little fish, EVERYTHING else way getting priority over me. So I waited, and I got busy with my own stuff, and I stopped even thinking about it for a bit...

Until a Shindig guest asked me how things were going with the shipment in February. February! Well, crap, NOW I'm thinking about that chair alright! So, I looked through my emails and found out who the shipping airline was and gave them a call. They told me that, they see that particular shipment as being delivered already. That the shipment was so old that it had dropped off their system, so they'd have to go check their hard-copy files and would call me back. "This might take a while."

So, my nights of losing sleep had begun. I feared that the chair might have been 'delivered' to someone else, that the airline was decided that no one was ever coming to get it, so they sold it as scrap to some local junkyard, that it might just be lost... Anything. Anything could have happened, and it was WAY too possible that I'd

never even know the chairs fate, and I was absolutely DREADING the day I'd have to confess to all of this here on this forum. You guys would deserve to know after all. I even emailed the shipping company to see if they could do anything for me. The answer boiled down to, "We did our part. It's not our problem."

Weeks pass. I never get that return call. Finally, I decide that I've waited enough

and call the airline again. Surprise! The person I speak to this time around goes through all the "It's old" and "It's delivered" stuff as last time, to which I agree before getting to, "But it didn't get delivered to me, and I never even got a call, so where is it?" She puts me on hold for less than three minutes and comes back on with, "It was sent to our storage facility, 'World Wide Flight Services'. She then gives me the number for World Wide. I am ELATED! She's sorry she can't be more help, but I'm just so happy to know the chair didn't end up in a compactor, or in the harbor, that I tell her it's all good and place my call to World Wide.

Thus commences the run-around. I have to start glossing over details here, but World Wide wanted $1,376 out of me for storage charges. I tried to argue that they were supposed to call me, but had never done so. They said that they HAD called me, and had a long call log to prove it. Then they started reading off all the numbers they called. None of them were mine. I told them so and ask why they hadn't contacted the original shipping company out of England, since they had specifically asked for my phone number to give to World Wide. THEN they end up telling me that they don't even have the chair anymore. They're short-term storage. The chair had been moved to long-term storage and the company that had it now would also have fees that needed to be paid.

So after a week or two of calls to World Wide, the long-term storage place (Eagle Air Freight) and the Boston U.S. Customs office, I finally have the next steps planned out, and knew I needed a van. There was a lot of paperwork, and some physical running around brought on by World Wide realizing their mistake, dropping about $1,340 off of what I owed them and their subsequent anger at ME for all of it, but after another two week wait, a friend of mine used his work truck (`cause it was free) to pick up the still-boxed chair from Eagle for only $250ish for three months of storage. Fair. Done.

He got it to me the next day, and a couple weeks later I was finally able to get it out of the box, out of my garage and into my dining room. Now that I can see for myself how big it is, I need to find a good permanent home for it.

Bought in November. This chair has been 'home' for less than a week at this point.
And that's all I have to say about that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30401586@ ... hotostream

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30401586@ ... hotostream
Last edited by Bronson BB on Fri May 16, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu May 15, 2014 9:07 pm

@.@

Geez!

@.@

I can't BELIEVE they screwed it up that badly AND had the bad manners to blame you and extort you for nearly 1400 bucks!

@.@!!

On the plus side, it's safe with you now and I'm sure it's not going anywhere. Whew.

Still ...

GEEZ!
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby neverAcquiesce » Thu May 15, 2014 9:10 pm

You're burying the lead, man! Inquiring minds gotta know...is it comfortable?
neverAcquiesce
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Thu May 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Butt reaming is never comfortable. But I betcha sitting in that chair makes it hurt less. ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu May 15, 2014 9:16 pm

FINALLY IT ARRIVED!

Yay!

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby AZSneed » Thu May 15, 2014 10:56 pm

I'm glad the nightmare is over!

If you had used Blue Sun Postal, then you would have gotten it sooner.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Fri May 16, 2014 3:46 pm

neverAcquiesce wrote:You're burying the lead, man! Inquiring minds gotta know...is it comfortable?

I haven't actually sat in it yet.
Mt two boys have, and our two cats have slept on it, but neither my wife or I have.

taimdala wrote:Butt reaming is never comfortable. But I betcha sitting in that chair makes it hurt less. ;)

I'll have to let you know.
I can't wait for people to see it at our next Shindig.
Heck, I'd love to truck it to local Cons and use it as a recruiting tool.

AZSneed wrote:I'm glad the nightmare is over!

If you had used Blue Sun Postal, then you would have gotten it sooner.

As I recall, Blue Sun had their own uses for such chairs.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Next up, recreating the infirmary.
AZSneed
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Recurring props and costumes