Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Galley Table

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

Galley Table

Postby CaptColby » Sat May 29, 2010 5:31 am

I was curious if anyone had any information regarding the galley/dining table on the ship Serenity. I have been interested in creating my own replica for my future apartment as a dining room table. I know I can probably wing it and make it look decent without specific measurements and such but I'd like to make it accurate if possible.

I am most curious about the actual legs of the table since I never really can find a clear shot of the underside of it. I'm not really sure if anyone has attempted this before. Any help is greatly appreciated. :D
CaptColby
Alliance soldier

Re: Galley Table

Postby AZSneed » Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 am

I am judging from the few photos I have now, that the table top is made out 2 x 6's, 8 foot long, 6 of them, with about 1/4" gap between the boards will make the table top 34 and 1/4" wide.. The framing around the edge of the table is made of angle iron, and looks to be 3/8" thick, 2" X 2". My guess is that the frame of the table to will be made of angles.

There are only two legs, made of pipe with a base. If you look at this photo of the Lee Stringer Firefly set, you can the the base of the table leg, http://www.flickr.com/photos/lee_stringer/4277967333/in/set-72157623219903652/. I would have to get the DVDs out to maybe find more details.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Alkali Jones » Sat May 29, 2010 12:24 pm

Hey CaptColby,

I'd a' guessed that they stole the pedestals from two smaller cafe tables to make this one big one. Here's another picture for you from "Objects in Space". Absolutely you must post pictures of your results. No offense intended to AZSneed, but I'd a' guessed 2X8s for the lumber and the length closer to nine foot. ;) Good luck.

Dan S
"Thats what governments are for, to get in a man's way." Capt. Mal Reynolds, Firefly
Alkali Jones
Independent Soldier

Postby CaptColby » Sun May 30, 2010 8:42 am

Wow I really appreciate the help on this! I totally missed that shot from Objects in Space somehow. I actually hadn't remembered seeing the table in that episode until now. I figure the most difficult part will be figuring out how to either fabricate my own table legs or find a suitable replacement somehow. I will definitely post my progress as I get everything together and going!
CaptColby
Alliance soldier

Postby AZSneed » Sun May 30, 2010 10:35 pm

If you look in the Firefly Companion Vol. One on page 8, you get a good view of the table leg.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sun May 30, 2010 11:23 pm

For the bottoms, you might check around at some restaurant supply places, see if they have any tables like that, or look for a place that went out of business and see if they're selling anything by the piece.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby namebrand » Sun May 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Looks like the Olympic B1 Chrome on this page. http://www.proglobal.co.uk/tablebases_f ... ishing.htm

There are probably a ton of that style out there though. Trying to determine the diameter of the base would help find one that's the same.
namebrand
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Sun May 30, 2010 11:47 pm

AZSneed wrote:If you look in the Firefly Companion Vol. One on page 8, you get a good view of the table leg.

That's what I was going to say!

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Bronson BB » Mon May 31, 2010 5:13 pm

Note also, one of the legs ends in a four post foot and the other (the closer one in the picture above) has a wide flat circular base.

I don't even think the legs are the same diameter.

I've been eyeing a reproduction of this table myself. I need somewhere to put my splamp after all.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Mon May 31, 2010 7:07 pm

I still occasionally toy with the idea of building a computer desk patterned after the galley table, with a hutch made out of the airline lockers...

Just need the space to do the work since moving into an apt complex.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Next

Return to Recurring props and costumes