Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

My Mare's Leg

Props So Nice They Had To Show Them Twice. Or more.

My Mare's Leg

Postby xardoz » Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Started this a while back, still need to put a finishing touch or two on it, like the front blade sight. I'll try to take a better pic or two tonight.:

Since I took this photo, I've added a plate to the butt, beveled the edge of the forestock and have added the end of the magazine tube. it's based on a Denix, with the wrong loop, but it's as close as I could find back then. Of course, now they're making a Mare's Leg themselves.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Re: My Mare's Leg

Postby Badger » Thu May 28, 2009 2:47 pm

Nice,

Does it have the saddle ring?
You'll need it so it can be carried properly in the beautiful, hand made, screen accurate, leather holster rig you're going to get me to make for you :lol:

Nah, seriously. Nice job.

There's a detail no one's got right yet. The rear stock plate, on the butt, is curved on the original, not flat.

Like to see it finished.

Cheers,

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Bronson BB » Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Take a little of this;
http://www.closeout.com/ca-22-1069.html

and a little of that
http://www.softairgun.net/proddetail.php?prod=22-1095

and it looks like I could have one too.
(I need to let my poor battered wallet recover first, though.)

Yours looks very pretty btw, xardoz.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu May 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Tell you what,

Add a rear sight on top, sand the back of the butt into a concave curve, add back plate, a little cold blueing.........You're in business

(ahem..holster..ahem) :lol:

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby xardoz » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks, guys!

The one at SoftAirGun.net is the current Denix Mare's Leg - I used the same Denix M1892 as the one you linked to, but man, they're asking an arm and a (mare's) leg for it now! I got it for $126 from Amazon two years ago.

For the saddle ring, I took a small U-bolt (real Winchester saddle ring mounts were too expensive by that time) and a hardware store ring. I didn't get the placement quite right, but it's close enough for government work, especially with the wrong loop.

Had I to do it over again, I'd go with the Denix Mare's Leg and some cold bluing solution and not worry about the loop.

RE: Butt plate - curved? Really? Damn. It looks straight in the pic in my Firefly book. Well, since the rest isn't screen accurate, I'm not going to worry about it. Especially since mine's epoxied as well as screwed in.

One thing that truly sucks about the Denix guns is the crappy metal they use. It's like the balsa wood of metals.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby xardoz » Thu May 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Not very hi-res, but this is the Mare's Leg from the Firefly Visual Companion.
xardoz
Blue Hand guy

Postby pennausamike » Thu May 28, 2009 3:48 pm

xardoz wrote:Started this a while back, still need to put a finishing touch or two on it, like the front blade sight. I'll try to take a better pic or two tonight.:
Since I took this photo, I've added a plate to the butt, beveled the edge of the forestock and have added the end of the magazine tube. it's based on a Denix, with the wrong loop, but it's as close as I could find back then. Of course, now they're making a Mare's Leg themselves.

None of the Mare's Legs out there are accurate to Zoe's.
Major problems are the shape of the wooden buttstock, the lack of a saddle ring and the front sight on the barrel band.
Minor problems are that it takes the combination of two different styles of Denix 1892 lever actions to make one of Zoe's pistols.

To do it right, you need the Denix Mares Leg for the correct loop lever and the correct barrel length.
From any of the Denix rifles, take the stock and cut it to the configuration of Zoe's Mares Leg.
The front and rear sights can be cannibalized from the rifle.
The metal buttplate is something you'll have to custom make.
I used a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum to make my Firefly series Mares Leg.
I took a similar approach to do the saddle ring, but I drilled a hole through the side of bolt to attach the ring.

I haven't corrected my BDM Mares Leg stock because I can't justify buying an entire Denix for a piece of wood.
At some point I'll re-do the BDM Mares Leg.

Last edited by pennausamike on Thu May 28, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu May 28, 2009 3:52 pm

yeah, curved.
That's my Mare's Leg, from a picture taken by Titan Books, for my article on the Mare's Leg in the Visual Companion.

Trust me on this :lol:

It's quite a gentle curve. Like a section out of a 16 or 18 inch radius circle. It's mounted with a singe X-head screw in the centre.

Check the pics here on my site: http://www.fireflyarchive.com/zoeheropi ... istol.html

Cheers,

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby keelhauler » Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm

Hey Badger, stupid question - was Zoe's gun originally silver, but blued for the show?
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby Badger » Thu May 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Nah,
Rossi 92, factory blued.

Badger
Badger
The one and only Badger

Next

Return to Recurring props and costumes