Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Help with a Browncoat Medic costume...

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Help with a Browncoat Medic costume...

Postby Winston Sharp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:08 am

First off, let me introduce myself. I've loved Firefly for many years now, and am a regular at CSTS in my area, though I unfortunately had to miss last year. I've done some costuming and small propmaking before, most recently being a Fallout costume for emerald city comic con last weekend. I've been lurking these forums for a while, though I've never really had a reason to post up till now.

After much consideration, I have decided on a Browncoat soldier's uniform for next year's con, but I wanted to stand out a bit, and one thing that I haven't really seen are any Medic uniforms from the 'verse, other than on the Alliance side. I was wondering if anyone has and advice/ ideas on where to go with this. I'll probably start with a relatively basic uniform, then add a red cross armband or something similar to get the message across, then gather some accessories or small props to flush it out a bit.

Thoughts?
"Well, my days of not takin' you seriously are certainly coming to a middle" - Malcolm Reynolds
Winston Sharp
Mudder

Re: Help with a Browncoat Medic costume...

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:42 am

I think it's a great idea and you might start with something as simple as building on the Independent theme. I threw this together just to illustrate a possible course for iconic imagery.

The light tans shown could be just white on white.

UPDATE: We've gone a lot further...

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1105
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1138
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1278
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1265
Last edited by Yellowjacket on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 am

And you might venture out from the theme...

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Winston Sharp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks so much! I'll hopefully be heading out to the local thrift/ army surplus stores to pick up the staples for the uniform sometime this weekend.

Those designs are really great, by the way. Would you mind if I use them in the costume? I'm thinking maybe painting the top triangle design on the helmet, and I know someone who might be able to make the second design into a patch. Thanks again.
"Well, my days of not takin' you seriously are certainly coming to a middle" - Malcolm Reynolds
Winston Sharp
Mudder

Postby jason1976 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:32 am

I love this idea, and i look forward to seeing how it progresses.

I like those designs yellowjacket, but then I am always happy to see more patch ideas. :)

As for making the patches. I have been playing with something, that I didn't want to post about, until I worked out all the bugs, but I have got side tracked (as usual) and don't know when I'll get back to it, so I might as well share. :) They make printable fabric now.

Wal*Mart sells a printable fabric, that is like a thin, cotton, canvas material, with iron-on backing. It goes through the printer fine. However, it's $8. for 3 sheets, and most of the images I have tried printing on it, have come out looking kind of faded. ( I have played with lots of print settings, but in the end, I have not found a way to get it to produce a fully saturated image. )

However, Michelle's art store sells a couple different printable fabrics. The one I like, is a cotton, printable fabric, that has a thin paper backing. you print out what you like, it takes ink great. then you spray it with some scotch guard, or something like that, to seel the ink, and to help with fraying. Then you cut it out, and peel off the paper backing. it does not have any adhesive on the back, but you can use "Stitchwitchery" or other iron on webbing to attach it to costumes, etc. Or you could just saw it on. you get a pack of 10 sheets, for $15. BUT they have 40% and some times 50% coupons. (I get a 40% coupon, at least every other week, and I usually get this paper with it.

The fabric it's self, is pretty then, but it would be very easy, to us some iron, webbing, fabric glue, or even spray glue, to attach it to a thinker piece of fabric, or canvas. And this stuff is way better then any of that iron transfer junk. (this stuff wont peal like that transfer stuff, and this stuff, will let you do the full range of colors, where as the transfer stuff, doesn't usually let you do that.)

I think this would be a great starting point for making very low end patches for fan films and costumes.

I mean, as a patch collector, I love fully embroidered patches, but this technique is way cheaper, for those on a budget, or those looking to do a lot of patches for back ground characters in a fan film.

Of course they would look best with some "Piping" added around the edges.

I had a story idea a wile back, and wanted to do Browncoat, and Alliance, medals of honer. This fabric worked great to make the ribbon part of the medals, now I just have to find what I want to use for the metal part of the medals. (But that's one of my projects, and this thread is not about that. :) )

Just thought I would pass this info on, if anyone is looking for a cheep way to make patches, or ribbons. (heck I am thinking of using it to make stuffed animals, and cloths for 12" figures, etc. etc. etc. :) )

(Sorry, I don't have much in the way of pictures to share right now)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Bronson BB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:And you might venture out from the theme...

Hey, look! Kal-El landed in Switzerland! :)

I thought I'd take a look at the Medic uniform info as posted on the 76th boards and this is all that's up there.
Medics
This grouping can wear either the Type A or Type B uniform.
They will carry the compact version of the G36 along with "medical" gear.

I'd say that means either wear a backpack, or a low slung hip pouch (Molle gear) and let your imagination by your guide.
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:56 pm

You're more than welcome to run with any of those mock-ups. IF you need a higher resolution of a specific one, just let me know.

I also look forward to any success that Jason has in his pursuit of the perfect printable patch.

Bronson BB wrote:
Hey, look! Kal-El landed in Switzerland! :)

I'll never be unable to un-see that now.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Bronson BB wrote:I thought I'd take a look at the Medic uniform info as posted on the 76th boards
and this is all that's up there.
Medics
This grouping can wear either the Type A or Type B uniform.
They will carry the compact version of the G36 along with "medical" gear.

I'd say that means either wear a backpack, or a low slung hip pouch (Molle gear) and let your imagination by your guide.

I always like it when fans make out of the ordinary costumes.
Far as an Independence army medic:
Standard tan long coat with whichever medic patch you like best
Red vest with a shoulder patch sized red cross on the left breast
helmet same as standard Browncoat except same medic symbol as coat
I'd look for an old brown leather backpack (eBay is always a good source) with large red cross
A couple of medical belt pouches, also leather, maybe

Medics shouldn't carry weapons. Civilized nations don't (generally) shoot each other's medics;
that's why the red cross is worn prominently.
In Vietnam, medics were nearly always targets,
so the medics started wearing clothes that hardly differentiated them from the other troops.
Fine for real life, but sorta destroys the story logic behind creating a stand out medic costume.
If you want to dress your medic in bright red crosses,
you have to assume that the Independents and Alliance don't (generally) shoot each other's medics.
The most a medic should ever carry would be a discreet handgun for last-ditch self defense.
I elected to arm my Alliance medic with a non-lethal sonic rifle,
which I felt was in line with the position and logical to the costume.

Also, I like the idea that the "modern" Alliance would have dropped the red cross for the caduceus,
while the Independents would cling to the "old" symbol.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:19 pm

I like these two versions the best as they maintain continuity with images already seen in the 'verse.

The triangle and two yellow stripes are designs already associated with the Independents.
Straying too far from that, they become generic red crosses or worse yet franchise cross overs.

The only other thing I would consider is making the background tan and the trim brown.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:06 pm

pennausamike wrote:The only other thing I would consider is making the background tan and the trim brown.

Trimmed in brown with and without tan backgrounds.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Next

Return to Non-canon props