Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

A Map of the Verse: for RPGs

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

A Map of the Verse: for RPGs

Postby Mike J. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 pm

This morning I woke up early with an idea stuck in my head.

Here is the end result: a 2' x 3' planar map of the Verse, in simplified vector form, designed for tabletop RPG use. By which I mean I fitted the systems to a hexagonal grid. I don't know if the RPG books come with nice, big, fold-out maps, but they should.

You can take this file to your local copy shop and get it printed out at actual size for something like $30. If you're looking to score a free map of the Verse, the QMx map is actually cheaper. Nicer, too.

Or you can try and break it up onto, say, four 8.5 x 11 sheets of paper and do it at home. Good luck with that. ((Support your local copy shop!))

I suppose you could use this for something besides RPG use, like a poster for your wall or something. Or a desktop background. It's kinda plain, cause all the planets aren't on there. Or any of the planets, really. If you want something super-detailed, buy the QMX map, please.

I just thought this would be useful for table-top gaming... Let me know if I'm way off base.

This is obviously based on (and not as nice as) the QMx map - I claim no creative originality.

Serpens-Run-Map-Outlines.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f40/firefly-serenity-serpens-run-map.pdf-213027d1374927147

Let me know what you think. A word on names later.

-Mike J.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Re: A Map of the Verse: for RPGs

Postby Mike J. » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 pm

A word on names:

So, early this morning, about 2 AM, I was possessed of the notion that I should make a fictional map of a fictional journey called the Serpent. Serpens in Latin, I think. My original plan was to have the map be composed of 3 separate pieces, Serpens Caput (the Serpent's Head), Serpens Dorsa (the Serpent's Back) and Serpens Cauda (the Serpent's Tail). This would be done all Lord of the Rings style, old-world looking with annotations. After looking up old illustrations of the constellation 'The Serpent', I for some reason decided to make The Serpent Run a Firefly-styled space journey, a la The Kessell Run in Star Wars. I don't know why. It may have been lack of sleep.

Then I decided to redraw the map of the Verse. Also possibly due to lack of sleep...

In case anyone is curious, my hypothetical Serpent's Run would start at the Red Sun, make an illegal gravity slingshot at one of the 'northward' cortex relay stations, avoid the deep space stations, and end up near the Blue Sun / Reaver territory. That's the Serpent's Head - the dangerous half. The Serpent's Tail is the first half, the easy half.

That's why this map is named funny.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:32 am

Mike, I like it! The story answered my thought question.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:02 am

Thanks!

I went back and edited my map, added some stars to the background, because it felt like it was missing something. Also added some missing spacelanes.

And they are the stars from the vicinity of 34Tauri, too.

Download the new map! Make the Serpent's Run!

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f40/f ... 1375055960

-MJ
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:26 am

So, you updated it, AFTER I got lost following your map! You owe me for the fuel. :mrgreen:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:55 pm

Cartographers will not be held responsible for poor navigation.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:49 pm

So much for easy Credits. :D
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Ramblurr » Thu May 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Hey Mike J!

Your links seem to be broken :( Any chance you could re-upload them?

Also, I would love a version of your map without the hex grid. I'm looking for a readable map of the verse that highlights the general layout while being readable on a webpage (max 2000px across), and your map is almost exactly that!
Ramblurr
Reaver

Postby Bronson BB » Thu May 08, 2014 3:45 pm

Ramblurr wrote:Hey Mike J!

Your links seem to be broken :( Any chance you could re-upload them?

Works for me.
Are you a member of the RPF?
Bronson BB
Browncoat

Postby Ramblurr » Thu May 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Ah, you must be logged in to download the file. The error message led me to believe the file had been deleted or something: Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator
Ramblurr
Reaver

Next

Return to Non-canon props