Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

browncoats rank insignias

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: browncoats rank insignias

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:38 am

We haven't visited this in a while and I've seen plenty of suggestions over the years that build off the cannon or throw it out, but how about we start with the non-commissioned officers first. Take Mal. We know that he was a sergeant. Without arguing whether or not he was a basic sergeant or a first sergeant and so forth, let's just look at the rank he wears on screen. He wear the green triangle with the yellow bars and blue star bordered in black with black corners.

Example:

For sake of argument, let's say that the lower non-commissioned ranks are bordered in black, then we could build a very simple lower ranks thusly...

Easy to read, with none of the confusion that the star creates when used throughout all ranks.
Last edited by Yellowjacket on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:56 am

Building on that you could go a step further and add the E-1 and E-2 by doing this...

And expand the Sergeant ranks this way...

Then you limit the ranks for sergeant to an earlier time like the civil war when there were less ranks, and it limits the number of designs. You could add two above Mal's rank with Master Sergeant (as a company quartermaster rank) and Sergeant Major. That would take care of all the lower tier ranks.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:05 am

This is where it gets tricky. You can keep 1st Lieutenant and Captain the same, because they're bordered in green or gold and have different corners, but if you add 2nd Lieutenant, it looks a lot like Sergeant, so that one needs some more thought.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:59 am

I think this is shaping up VERY nicely! Keep going!

Going by what Mal wore and what you've extrapolated, forward and backward through the ranks, it looks like Mal was a First Sergeant.

We're going to turn this into a patch run, right?

Right?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:41 am

I don't know. I just wanted to see if there was a away of extrapolating the lower and higher ranks based on what we know and we know that these three patches are 'Independent ranks' according to the Firefly companion books, and it makes sense since Mal wore the one with the black border and he was a Sergeant, and the one he tore off of the Lieutenant had the green border. The gold border is called the captain rank but I don't know what source that's drawn from.

If enough people accepted this proposal for the non-commissioned ranks, then yes, I'd make patches one rank at a time. We can certainly use them in upcoming projects. That's why I want to start from a canon standpoint when fashioning the others. I don't want this to be one more suggestion that a few like and most don't. I'd like to create it for use and make something that comfortable accepted. Call it a first step.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:53 am

See you can depart from the theme a little, if you have a good reason. for example, I once toyed with upper ranks for the generals and based them on the silver stars, blue field and gold borders of Union ranks in the Civil War. You get something like this...

And I think you could get away with it because it maintains the 'look', but allows for contrast, because these are commissioned officers and the design has historic context.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 am

I like the direction you are going with this, it does make sense. It don't matter the military, they all have rank patches, so since the Independences did not have enough screen time, your ideas seem good to me.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 am

Thank you. I shared the idea around one a few fronts today and got lots of positive feedback. It also got a few people asking about 'dress uniforms', so I sent them here to look at Marc's uniform ideas. So right now we have some good ideas for E-1 through Sergeant first class, plus Lieutenant and Captain and the generals, but all of the added Sergeants, warrant officers, Major and Colonels will have to wait. If we get enough positive feedback will make patches of the lowest ranks first and let the other designs stew until we find something we like.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:42 am

I think the expensive patch to make will be the Private E-1.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Oooo, I like those general rank designs.... I would like to sneak some green in there, though...
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props