Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

browncoats rank insignias

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: browncoats rank insignias

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:48 pm

AZSneed wrote:I think the expensive patch to make will be the Private E-1.

Yeah, that one is totally a joke. E-1 has no rank so I threw that one to see how many would catch it. Can you imagine trying to fund a blank triangle?

After some discussion on Facebook, these are the proposed NCO ranks, eliminating all but the basics.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:54 pm

This looks better. Yea, funding a blank patch would have been a non-run, for sure.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 pm

It would have been an interesting social experiment to see who'd support it. The discussion continues here and elsewhere, so continuing with a 'less is more' attitude, we're down to these so far.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:24 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:It would have been an interesting social experiment to see who'd support it.
The discussion continues here and elsewhere, so continuing with a 'less is more' attitude, we're down to these so far.

Sleep deprivation is a bad thing.
I made a post last night, previewed it and logged off; never hit enter.

I like the basic ranks as shown above and wouldn't get carried away with grades of sgt.
Not necessary; the combat uniforms just need enough rank to know who is telling you what to do;
the dress uniforms can have pins or whatever (found items) for specialty.
Less is less confusing in the heat of battle.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:27 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:See you can depart from the theme a little, if you have a good reason. for example, I once toyed with upper ranks for the generals and based them on the silver stars, blue field and gold borders of Union ranks in the Civil War. You get something like this...

And I think you could get away with it because it maintains the 'look', but allows for contrast, because these are commissioned officers and the design has historic context.

I really like these.
Only change I'd suggest is to make the Lt. general's stars cross arms on the same horizontal plane
as every other use of the star in the emblemology.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54 pm

Yeah, it's the only one I considered changing.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 pm

pennausamike wrote:
I like the basic ranks as shown above and wouldn't get carried away with grades of sgt.
Not necessary; the combat uniforms just need enough rank to know who is telling you what to do;
the dress uniforms can have pins or whatever (found items) for specialty.
Less is less confusing in the heat of battle.

Mike

And that seems to be the consensus across the board. If the support remains consistent as more people are exposed to this, we'll definitely start with the Private and Corporal patches soon.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby marc pasquin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:59 am

Because 2 bars and one star is the independence logo, it feels weird to me now to use is as a rank insignia (I know a previous version of mine did just that but that was before fanon decided to go with that).

if we are to keep somewhat to canon, what about something like this where the 3 colours would indicate level (green=private/corporal, black=sergeants & gold officers) with distinctive place on them either sown on or as here, with metal bits ?
Attachments
independent-rank--nth-version.jpg
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Postby marc pasquin » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:04 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:See you can depart from the theme a little, if you have a good reason. for example, I once toyed with upper ranks for the generals and based them on the silver stars, blue field and gold borders of Union ranks in the Civil War. You get something like this...

And I think you could get away with it because it maintains the 'look', but allows for contrast, because these are commissioned officers and the design has historic context.

I like the design though i think maybe a red or maroon background instead of blue would look better on the uniform
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:47 pm

marc pasquin wrote:Because 2 bars and one star is the independence logo, it feels weird to me now to use is as a rank insignia.

But the 2 bars and star were created as rank. That's canon.

I think we should add as little as possible, so what the few that are canon remain the same.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props