Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

browncoats rank insignias

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: browncoats rank insignias

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 pm

marc pasquin wrote:
Yellowjacket wrote:See you can depart from the theme a little, if you have a good reason. for example, I once toyed with upper ranks for the generals and based them on the silver stars, blue field and gold borders of Union ranks in the Civil War. You get something like this...

And I think you could get away with it because it maintains the 'look', but allows for contrast, because these are commissioned officers and the design has historic context.

I like the design though i think maybe a red or maroon background instead of blue would look better on the uniform

I agree on the red. It does look better on the uniform. I also changed the stars to gold because the Chinese use gold stars for the People's Republic, so we have our Chinese homage.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:26 am

I agree with Marc about the red intellectually, but when I look at the badges,
the blue looks more regal, ie more like the uppercrust ranks.
Also, the red disappears into the red of vest, to my eyes.
I also like the silver stars because they stand out a little more, saying, "I'm in charge."

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:43 am

One point to think about, would Generals wear red vest? I would imagine that red vest would be for lower ranks. Just my Image.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:42 am

I love these--all of them. I WANT all of them. I'm less than 48 hours away from Raleigh's CSTS, but I have next year's CSTS to plan for. These patches would be PERFECT for our patch store and for several war themed baskets I want to get done for next year. Looking through my propcircle picture saves, I'm thinking of doing up a soldier's ration box or something. These patches would be great for that.

We'll see how that goes.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby marc pasquin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:35 am

most of my previous designs were based on the idea of cosplayers or a studio using insignias that would cost very little. Assuming one wasn't limited by that but still follow (somewhat) cannon, I would probably go with something like this.

like others, I sort of went with the assumption of very few ranks simply because you probably you have many *independent* units comming together on a mostly ad hoc basis.
Attachments
independent-rank--nth-versionplus.jpg
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Postby AZSneed » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:14 am

You know, I like these better.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby marc pasquin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:36 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:
marc pasquin wrote:Because 2 bars and one star is the independence logo, it feels weird to me now to use is as a rank insignia.

But the 2 bars and star were created as rank. That's canon.

I think we should add as little as possible, so what the few that are canon remain the same.

The thing is though that to me, the 2 bars and star might not be indicative of rank at all the same way that apart from the lowest level, the crossed riffles on most US marine corps rank insignias do not represent a difference in ranks but that the wearer is a marine as opposed to an US army man:

The same apply to these (now obsolete) french ranks where someone could mistake the diamond for an indication of rank whereas it is common to all and simply indicate the unit:

Though it's hard to know for sure, I suspect that different coloured borders and corner triangles were what the costume designer had in mind.

That being said, it is also possible that the "rank insignias" simply refered to *level* of ranks so that a black bordered one was an NCO, a green one a subaltern and a gold border a superior officer (like in some modern day police forces) with actual ranks indicated by some completely different mean.
marc pasquin
Alliance soldier

Previous

Return to Non-canon props