Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Postby Beery » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:44 pm

Hi folks. First post here.

Recently I've been obsessed with Firefly: the Game, so much so that I've been going overboard making some paper products and stamps that help me keep an interesting looking record of games. I started with simple record sheets that look like a captain's log that allow me to keep a record of what happens during games. Then I thought of jazzing it up a bit by adding official customs stamps, which I designed with my old Photoshop Elements program. That got the creative juices going, so I added some tourist stamps. Here's the download link (the latest versions of all my paper props and stamp files will always be here in the first post) and an image showing the stamps:

Firefly Rubber Stamps

zz Stamps (all).jpg

I've also included some Chinese symbols that I found and messed about with in Photoshop. They represent the Four Divine Creatures of Chinese mythology (the Azure Dragon, the Black Tortoise, the Vermilion Bird and the White Tiger) that guard the four directions of the compass - these are the symbols used for the four star systems in the 'Verse. A 5th symbol is used for Georgia - another dragon, so I just copied the Azure Dragon and made it yellow. I have yet to figure out a use for them, but anyway, I think they look neat, just as stamps that add a bit of the flavor of the 'Verse.

Also included in the zip download is a set of signatures that can be copied and pasted to documents. I always have problems doing signatures for my documents, so to avoid screwing up an entire document and printing it over and over until I get the signature looking reasonable, I figured I'd do some signatures and choose the best ones. These are all my own design, just basically squiggles that look like signatures, so they're not signatures taken from real people or anything. As with all the stamps, for the best results, use the PSD ones, as they are done on a transparent layer, so you can paste them over text or other stamps.

There's a mixture of PSDs and JPGs in there: the JPGs are not customizable and need a date stamp. The PSDs have a customizable date stamp included. My copy of Photoshop is old, so I hope the PSDs are formatted correctly. If not, I guess people can just copy the date stamp over to the JPGs and do it that way.

---

Out of all a ship's documents, the next one is probably the most well-known - the certificate of registry. I've done this one on 8 1/2 x 14 paper, because there's a lot of info on here. Basically, it tells all about your ship: its type and name, numbers, call signs, what kind of trading you do, your home port, where and when the ship was built, your company name and address, who owned the ship previously, size, types of engines. Everything anyone would ever need to know about your ship, other than where the bathrooms are.

Certificate of Registry

Certificate of Registry Example.jpg

The download includes an example for both a Sandfly and one showing Mal Reynolds' ship Serenity. For Serenity I've had to make up some info to get the sheet fully filled out. For example, no one knows who owned Serenity or what her name was before Mal bought her.

---

Next is the Master's Certificate (AKA Captain's License). I based this one on a modern Ship's Master's Certificate (the new ones are not all that different from ones dating back to the 19th Century):

Master's Certificate

Master Certificate Example.jpg

---

Next is a ship's Tonnage Certificate that can be filled out for any merchant ship in the 'Verse. I based it on some modern versions that I've seen online. It's not very fancy - I figured some of the everyday paperwork in the 'Verse would probably be just as plain as similar items are today. I also included four different stamps for it, based on ones that I saw on a modern day tonnage certificate. Anyway, here it is:

Ship's Tonnage Certificate

Tonnage Certificate Example.jpg

---

Modern cargo ships are also issued with a Minimum Safe Manning Certificate, so I figured cargo ships in the 26th Century would probably carry something similar. Again, I've included JPGs and PSD files, so that the end user has all options to customize the certificate.

Minimum Safe Manning Certificate

Minimum safe manning certificate Example.jpg

The document requires a minimum of 4 crew: basically I reckon the authorities would insist on a captain, first mate, pilot and engineer as a bare minimum, and that nicely ties in with Mal, Zoe, Wash and Kaylee. I reckon Jayne probably equates to a deck rating, though he probably thinks of himself as the deck officer, or perhaps even first mate.

Interestingly, the ship in the document I used as the basis for this is 1980 GT - that's almost the same tonnage as a Firefly (at least according to the Firefly RPG). The modern-day document requires such a ship to have 9 crew, which just happens to be what Serenity has (if you include Book, the Tams and Inara as crew).

The examples I've shown for all the documents represent a Sandfly (the one I'm using in my current Firefly boardgame). It's a lot smaller than a Firefly, but it gets the idea across.

I'm still working on more stuff - I'm going to try to make a few more ship's documents. They're going to be workaday things - nothing as fancy as Yellowjacket's brilliant stuff, but maybe they can be used alongside the other ship's documents that folks like Yellowjacket have made.
Last edited by Beery on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:01 am, edited 13 times in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Re: Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Postby pennausamike » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Beery wrote:Hi folks. First post here.

Recently I've been obsessed with Firefly: the Game,
so much so that I've been going overboard making some paper products and stamps
SNIP

WHOA!
Stop right there, pardner!
There's no such thing as going overboard on making cool Firefly stuff.

Beery wrote:I'm still working on more stuff - I'm going to try to make a few more ship's documents.
They're going to be workaday things - nothing as fancy as Yellowjacket's brilliant stuff,
but maybe they can be used alongside the other ship's documents that folks like Yellowjacket have made.

There is room for all manner of Firefly EU props and documents.
I'm still pounding out images and money in good ol' MS Paint, and nobody seems to mind.

Definitely a great first post and some fun new stuff to play with.
The 'verse just got a little bigger!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Miker » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Oh shit, how cool is that stuff!

:jayne:
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot em"
Miker
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi Beery! Welcome aboard.

Dude, I *LOVE* your stamps and documents! Way cool and very authentic looking. Makes mine look kinda amateurish, really. GREAT WORK!! :thumbsup:
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks folks!

By the way, some of the stamps will look best if they're actually made into stamps. I've tried digital methods, but I can't get them to look as real as... well, a real stamp. Vistaprint offers custom stamps, but if anyone knows a better company, please let me know.

Also, I know it's unlikely, but does anyone know if any company makes custom stamps with multiple colors. Some of my stamp designs have multiple color designs, as I reckon the Alliance probably has some kind of neat stamp color technology, but I'm wondering if anything similar actually exists today?

Also, does anyone know where I can find date stamps where the year is fully adjustable? All I've found so far are 10-year ones, and they're all 2010-2020. Does anyone do a stamp that can be adjusted from 2510 to 2520, or better still, 2400 to 2599?

By the way, Pennausamike, I love your document - that is an amount of Chinese that I dare not even think about attempting. So far, I've attempted only the occasional word (and preferably only if I can copy it from an official Firefly source). I worry that someone who knows Chinese is going to tell me that all my stamps have Chinese profanity on them, LOL
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby pennausamike » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:37 pm

The Chinese is gibberish.
What can I say :-)

But, thanks.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Beery,

Funny thing you should ask about the date stampers, as I was looking for pretty much the same thing a couple of months ago. I found out that the perpetual/choose any number style of stamp is called a "number stamp" and not a date stamp. I found a few places online:

1. The Stampmaker.com; they've stamps that go from 6 to 8 to 10 digits in a row, with the digits running the gamut from 0-9 per digit band. Infinitely adjustable.

2. Discount Rubber Stamps.com; they also have number stampers that offer either gothic or roman style numbers. I have to assume that means serif or sans serif, lol. Their number stampers offer 4-, 6-, and 8-digit stamps that run the standard 0-9 per digit band. This website doesn't offer pictures of the product right away. Just click on the stock number of the item to be taken to a page with details and pictues.

3. Rubber Stamps.net; they have the most versatile number stamps. They call them "rotating number stamps" and in addition to the digits 0-9, all rotating number stamps include additional characters (!), which are:
# $ X . - / ¢ ¼ ½ ¾ (*excluding No. 7 7/8"-tall 2-digit stamp).

This will allow you to insert a - or a * or other character BETWEEN the numbers of your dates.

e.g.: 23-06-2517

The product picture on the page strongly suggested that an empty space was possible as a character, too. How cool is that? :lol:

OH! and one more thing--the link to rubberstamps.net will take you to the rotating number page but to get to the prices and all the sizes/numbers offered with each *category*, click on the category that suits best to be taken to another page deeper in that lists the prices and variations of that stamp.

I hope this helps, Beery!
Last edited by taimdala on Sun May 31, 2015 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:59 pm

Beery, welcome! Your props are awesome, and most welcomed. It is great to have another to expand the Verse, and keep up the great work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:11 am

I've moved this post to the first post in the thread, so that people don't have to go searching through the thread to find the downloads they want.
Last edited by Beery on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:21 am

OMG! Beery, you won't know this but I'm an RPG gamer and I would love to use your props for added realism in my current Serenity/Firefly RPG. May I? I particularly love the documents and the stamps. :D
taimdala
Browncoat

Next

Return to Non-canon props