Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 am

taimdala wrote:OMG! Beery, you won't know this but I'm an RPG gamer and I would love to use your props for added realism in my current Serenity/Firefly RPG. May I? I particularly love the documents and the stamps. :D

You certainly may.

Anything I make is open for anyone to use. You can even distribute them to others. All I ask is that people don't sell them.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:06 am

You mentioned you would like to have a way to make stamps look more like stamps in Photoshop.

I have a somewhat rough way to do it:

1. Original Layer: Make your stamp image layer active
2. CTRL + J to copy that layer; keep the copy layer on top (call it Copy)
3. Original Layer: reduce the opacity to about 50%
4. Eraser tool: select a brush that has an uneven texture, play with the brush panel to rough it up, adjust the opacity
and flow until it looks right..
5. Copy Layer: Erase portions of the image.
6. Copy Layer: adjust Layer blend mode to Dissolve

End result:

1. Copy Layer: the stamp will look as if the ink didn't get applied in full strength and that the stronger intensity ink is now kinda pebbly looking.
2. Original Layer: Play with the opacity until it looks right in combination with the Copy Layer

This is just the quick and dirty method I worked out for my Passport project of Fall 2011.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:31 am

I found another method somewhere and wrote it down in my notes. I neglected to record if this was an online video tutorial or if it came from a magazine, but either way, it's a really cool effect.

1. Open a layer and type something or make an object. It has to be a flat solid object.
2. If it's text, rasterize it. If not text, go to #3.
3. Filter> Artistic> Film Grain: Grain 16; Highlight 0; Intensity 9 (I guessed these values. Play around to find what you like)
4. Invert. (When I use white text on black BG, the text disappears. It's still there, actually)

And now the magic!
It's done with Layer effects (fx icon in layers panel)
>Inner glow:
>>Blend mode: Dissolve; Opacity: 75; Noise: 0
>>Color: (Default is okay but matching the BG looks better); Technique: Softer; Source: Center
>>Choke: 0; Size 32;
>>Quality: Contour (first contour in the selection array, the one that has half white/half black in a diagonal); Anti-aliased: no;
>>Range: 50% Jitter: 0

And that's it! The sample picture shows you how it looks. You can also play around with Levels and Hue/Saturation to change the contrast of the stamp or the color of it. Make copies of the layer, make it a different color, and either mask or simply erase portions of it to allow the color of the stamp in the layer below show through. Or you can play around with the layer blend mode for cool effects, too.

(Credit: The image is from propcircle member Cyberhawk. Long ago he posted a really lovely HI-REZ image of the Alliance Eagle seal from the BDM. I saved the image and made a Photoshop brush out of it. It's one of my go-to Verse brushes.Thank you, Cyberhawk!)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 am

Thanks for that advice. Amazing how much you can learn when people point you in the right direction. I was just leaving it all one layer, then doing a brush strokes / spatter filter, then going at it with the eraser set to a big (bigger than the stamp) brush - a good few dabs with it set at about 10%, more on one side than the other. They come out okay using that method, but not great. I'll have to try these methods.
Last edited by Beery on Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:35 am

I saved the above technique as an action. Same effect, less work!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:50 am

Beery wrote:Thanks for that advice. Amazing how much you can learn when people point you in the right direction. I was just leaving it all one layer, then doing a brush strokes / spatter filter, then going at it with the eraser set to a big (bigger than the stamp) brush - a good few dabs with it set at about 10%, more on one side than the other. They come out okay using that method, but not great. I'll have to try these methods.

You're welcome!

If you have the time and inclination, I highly recommend one of my favorite artists on YouTube:

Marty at Blue Lightning TV: This PS artist is amazing. Not only is he a great artist, he's a great teacher! He makes the complicated look simple and not-scary.

For instance, I made this:

... by following his tutorial, "How to Quickly Create Stars, Planets, and Faraway Galaxies."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:53 am

Beery wrote:
taimdala wrote:OMG! Beery, you won't know this but I'm an RPG gamer and I would love to use your props for added realism in my current Serenity/Firefly RPG. May I? I particularly love the documents and the stamps. :D

You certainly may.

Anything I make is open for anyone to use. You can even distribute them to others. All I ask is that people don't sell them.

THANK YOUUUU! :D
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:59 am

taimdala wrote:For instance, I made this...

That's incredible! Wow, so much new stuff to look into. Thanks Taimdala!
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:43 am

You're welcome, Beery! Enjoy!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:00 pm

Contents moved to the first post in the thread.
Last edited by Beery on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props