Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Postby Beery » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:14 pm

I've moved the contents of this post to the first post in the thread.

Next I'm going to work on a couple of lesser certificates - ship security certificate, safe load limits, maybe a pollution insurance certificate.
Last edited by Beery on Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 am

~*drool!*~

Oh man! These are GREAT--and perfect for gaming. Thank you, Beery! :D

~*drool!*~
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:34 am

Beery inspired me to polish my old 'Alliance Trade Authority' registration.

https://gndn.wordpress.com/2015/04/04/f ... r-revised/
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby Beery » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:03 am

Looks awesome! I might try my hand at some kind of neat border like that. I'm thinking a Master's Certificate, or maybe a pilot's certificate might be something that I could get a bit more complicated with. I've been looking at old 19th Century stuff like these:

pilots_certificate979x1701.jpg

DaraioCaptainsLicense small.jpg
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:13 am

That is the way to go. I looked at original ones to get the feel of the direction to go when I did my props. I do my work in MS Paint, it has worked for me.

For a PS alternative, try Gimp. http://www.gimp.org/
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Bear » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:51 pm

Nice to see you over here Beery, you stuff looks fantastic.

You can never have to many Firefly props.
Bear
Mudder

Postby Beery » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 am

I've taken a lot of inspiration from the stuff I've seen on the forums (especially Mike J's recent post of his ATA certificate - thanks Mike!) and I've now completed the Master's Certificate (AKA Captain's License). This one is more ambitious than the earlier stuff I made - it has a nice border similar to others I've seen (making that border from scratch was a heck of a job - I even got a migraine from looking too hard at the pattern - I suffer for my art, LOL), and I tried my best to make a screenshot of Serenity look like one of those 19th Century woodcut prints - I kinda failed, but it has some charm (at least I think so). I based this certificate on a modern Ship's Master's Certificate (the new ones are not all that different from ones dating back to the 19th Century):

Master's Certificate

Master Certificate Example.jpg

The example I've used for this one in Malcolm Reynolds. I made up the date (all I know is that he must have got his in 2512 or earlier).

I've also added this one to the first post in the thread, so that people don't have to sift through lots of messages to find stuff.

I also used that big Alliance logo as a sort of watermark, so thank you Cyberhawk (I'm guessing it must be his, as I picked it up somewhere else a while back, but it looks exactly like Cyberhawk's that other folks have posted).
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:32 am

You are so spoiling us with such awesome documents, and I like to be spoiled! :mrgreen:

I like the way the Serenity looks on the Certificate. :thumbsup:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

Here's a Captain's Log Book page that I created to record my "Firefly the Game" sessions. It's based on a WW2 U-boat log book. I made this a while ago, but I didn't think anyone would be interested, but hey, it's for Firefly and it exists, and a lot of the stamps I've made were intended to go in it, so I may as well post it:

Captain's Log Book

14 Log Book Example.jpg

I've made two options 8 1/2 x 11 and 8 1/2 x 14. I kinda like the legal sized one. I haven't figured out a way to make a cover for it yet. I reckon it would look cool nicely bound in tan leather, similar to the case QMx made for the ship's papers a while back. Or maybe Firefly captains would go the low-tech route and have something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017DAID8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:11 am

I don't see why that would not work for the papers. I would believe that each ship can keep their papers in what ever the Captain wants to keep them in, as long as all of the proper documents are there.
AZSneed
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props