Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Paper Props, Stamps etc.

Postby Beery » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:35 am

AZSneed wrote:I don't see why that would not work for the papers. I would believe that each ship can keep their papers in what ever the Captain wants to keep them in, as long as all of the proper documents are there.

That's true.

I'm having a bit of a problem with the binder idea, as I'm a huge neatness freak and I hate the idea of punching holes in my papers for the rings to go through. I keep having flashbacks to my school days, where the metal rings are tearing the papers and I'm putting on those adhesive reinforcement rings. The horror! The horror!

I've contemplated using those mylar sleeves for the pages, but for one thing, mylar seems very "not-Firefly", and anyway, the binders I've found never seem to be made wide enough to take the extra half inch of page width.

It's a dilemma. I wish there were some way of binding sheets into a book that didn't involve a visit to Kinkos and a lot of money to get a half-decent binding technique.
"I'm gonna have to ask you boys to stop raping our doctor."
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 am

How about a clipboard folder, like this http://www.amazon.com/Cardinal-Includes-Writing-253-610/dp/B000LNLYC4

It would be easier and faster to deal with the documents. And, who says it has to be brown?
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:40 pm

I hear ya 'bout the binder holes ripping out of your paper, Beery. I hate when that happens, too. Grah--the ragged edges are always catching on the papers beneath and lifting them out.

One of the design features of the Firefly Ship's Papers is the screw plate that binds the papers to the folder. At first I thought it was merely decorative but in reality, it serves a purpose: it holds the papers flat and still so that movement doesn't wear out the holes.

When you think about it, it's the binder rings rubbing against the hole edges that makes them tear. If the paper is stabilized and never moves--no wear and tear at the holes. Screwing down the plate acts like a binder clip or a bulldog clip, saving the holes from damage. The plate has a cleaner, lower profile, allowing everything to lie flat.

Badger kindly told me the name of the special screws that hold the plate in place: Chicago screw studs.

Once you have a pair of those, you can get as fancy or as plain as you like with the actual plate. Just drill a hole that accomodates the diameter of the stud and you're all set! Jewlery supply stores, beading supply stores, even home improvement stores sell them. Pretty much any store that sells metal rods for modeling will generally have small flat lengths of copper or brass, often in the same shelf display. A good drill tip made for metal drilling should suffice to make the holes.

Me? I have a much beloved metal repousse hair clip whose spring clip has broken. The decorative repousse portion, however, is sound. If I can find a way to remove the clip, I can use the decorative half as a plate for my own set of ship's papers ... or maybe use them to hold down some Companion's papers (which would necessarily be fancier). It's a floral design, so there are plenty of open spaces to accomodate the Chicago screws. I won't even have to do any drilling. I call that a win. ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:14 pm

Great ideas. Thanks guys. The Chicago screw idea appeals to me. I realize I wasn't clear that I was thinking more about the log book than the ship's papers, so I'm looking at a way of attaching the sheets together on the left hand side. I hadn't thought about it, but there's no reason why I can't use the Chicago screws and a plate for that too. Looks like I'll need to do a redesign on the log book. Then I'll start thinking about what to make a cover out of. I get the feeling a journey to Tandy Leather is in my future.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby taimdala » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:40 pm

Glad we could help, Beery! Please post pictures when you're done! I'd love to see how you did it! :D
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:13 pm

One point, why leather? Think outside the box. As we say, the Verse is huge, and as such, anything can work. When I do my ship papers, leather will not be an option, Serenity's ship papers already done that route. Since Serenity is the only ship that we have seen the papers asked for, we don't know what other Captain's have used to contain the ship papers.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Beery » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:23 am

I just like leather, is all. :)

And I'm not thinking about ship papers. It's the captain's log (which is, I guess, already outside the box, as we never see Mal's - if he even has one).

And the Chicago screw make a lot of sense to me, being as I'm an engineer by training. Ring binders just seem like bad design, while Chicago screws and a strip of brass seem so simple and intuitive as a design solution.
Beery
Blue Hand guy

Postby AZSneed » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 am

Well then, leather it is. :thumbsup:

I can't have leather, too much humidity and then mold growth. My ship papers set are packaged up so I can't see them, what a waste.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:00 am

I hear ya, Beery! Binder rings--either fixed to a rigid spine or loose like key rings, it doesn't matter--are too loose and sloppy for me. The pages get all unaligned from each other and never stack precisely.

OCD much, girl?

That's CDO, mister! The letters have to go in alphabetical order!
taimdala
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Non-canon props