Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Custom Spacesuit Build

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Custom Spacesuit Build

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:51 pm

I am beginning a space suit build to be used in three upcoming film and photo projects. I have the base components to begin three space suits simultaneously, and I thought I'd offer the builds to others. What I mean by this, is that I'd tell you what found items to get and I'd make the custom pieces we're casting for the suit available to everyone. This would be a process over time and it's open to everyone. I will also show you how to build the custom mining tools that go with the costume. There will be decals and added extras throughout the process. Eventually there will be patches and add-ons.

Just let me know if you are interested.

To start, you'll need a WWII backpack frame. It needs to be the "America Seating" version. You can find them on Ebay and local surplus stores. They range wildly in price, so shop around. I've bought them for as low as $3.00. This frame will be the backpack base for the space suit.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Re: Custom Spacesuit Build

Postby Miker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:37 pm

OK, I'm hooked. I gotta see where this is going.
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot em"
Miker
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:43 pm

These will be mining suits built for both vacuum and heavy work. In addition to the out suits, we will be designing the inner uniforms. I am already working on some things such as explosive charges, welding tools and an alternate PAL communicator.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:32 pm

Now this will be interesting to see coming together. :thumbsup:

Did you say patches? :mrgreen:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:17 pm

AZSneed wrote:Did you say patches? :mrgreen:

The suits will be attached to a specific mining vessel, so there will be decals and patches associated with it. There will also be some general patches on the uniforms, so I anticipate at least four or five unique patch designs to complete the uniform. Some of them will be hash mark style patches representing the years employed and there will be number designations unique to each uniform.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Miker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 pm

I always felt in the future we would be identified by a bar code if we traveled in space and were in the military, or worked in any other large organization.
"If anyone gets nosy, just...you know... shoot em"
Miker
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:05 am

I agree, Miker. I suspect that any military personnel and materiel would be chipped. Trackers, life signs, private info, the works. That way, if you lose a soldier, you can find him or her even from low orbit. If you lose equipment, you can find it--even if it's in enemy hands (which could be handy to know, actually).

Privacy for the military enlistee (and officers too, with options to block info, of course) would be long dead and gone.

That's the Alliance for you ... but in a lot of ways, this is already reality. Ask any rancher who faces government pressure to chip his cattle. Only ask politely--it's a very touchy issue. ;) My point being ... if we're mandating it for cattle now, how long before they're mandating it for *people*?

Yeah. I think of this sort of thing when I can't sleep at night.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:09 am

In my story, "Fool Me Twice", it is implied that the Alliance trooper armor is lo-jacked,
rather than the people.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:36 am

You had me at 'spacesuit' ... and 'patches' ... and 'decals' ...

-MJ
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 am

I alway wanted to make a spacesuit, just never could decide on a design.

Are you going with coveralls for the suit? I have see in 50's and 60's TV/films that style, and it worked.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Next

Return to Non-canon props