Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Unit Hstory for the 47th

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Unit Hstory for the 47th

Postby pennausamike » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:30 am

Heyo William:

I'm finishing up a couple of displays to take to the Browncoat Ball,
and one features some pics and patches for the 47th.
First, I'm assuming its OK to use your posted pics in the display,
and second, do you have any kind of "in the 'verse" unit history that I should display,
and finally, would you like any kind of fan unit history mentioned with it?

Thanks,
Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Re: Unit Hstory for the 47th

Postby AZSneed » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:11 am

I'm with Mike, it would be nice to have the unit history.

Mike, don't forget to post photos of your display.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:16 pm

I have some of the history and could work on it a little more after Salt Lake Comic Con this weekend.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:I have some of the history and could work on it a little more after Salt Lake Comic Con this weekend.

Based on the dozens of Facebook pics, it looks like a good time was had by all.
It would have been fun to see Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell.
And the Utah Browncoats booth got some great traffic and coverage,
including celebrity guest visits.
How wonderful to have gotten some real face time with Alan!

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:04 pm

When Alan walked into the bar and sat down next to me I was wiping the war and said, "So, Alan, tell me your troubles". It's always a good day when you can make Alan Tudyk laugh.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby jonesy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:34 am

Did you ever post the unit history anywhere?
jonesy
Alliance soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 am

jonesy wrote:Did you ever post the unit history anywhere?

I've written several bits and pieces. It's a work in progress, but here are some details...

The Salt City Irregulars were first formed in April of 2504 as an Independent militia force in the Northwestern Hemisphere of Hera in the region called the High Basin, with recruits coming from Big Bend, Brownsville, Fort Crown, Mosquito Creek, Salt City, Sessions, Utah and Willow River. While not specifically stationed in any one location, they were still one of many fighting groups created during the Independent Movement for defense of Hera. Because of the Salt City Irregulars, and numerous other militias on the planet, Utah quickly became a significant strategic target for the Alliance, and the High Basin was chosen for precision strikes and occupation very early on. Despite this, the Alliance failed to gain a foothold repeatedly until very late in the War.

The 47th was officially formed as regular infantry and permanently stationed at Utah on October 10, 2505 and was present during the Battle of the High Basin on June 10, 2508. The 47th was permanently divided during the heavy strikes during that battle on Hera. A portion of the 47th was killed or captured by Alliance, and one fifth of the 47th was trapped on Hera for the duration of the War. The remaining force en masse regrouped at Ithaca and then dug in with the 53rd and 110th at Jiangyin. Those left behind became a supporting force to partisan and resistance groups in the High Basin region and continued operating as the 47th. A separate remnant cut off at Hera escaped within weeks, carried offworld by the 483rd Bombardment Wing, and these two dozen soldiers operated by name at least twice in the Blue Sun system where some of them were captured. Because of this, the Alliance command was perpetually confused about the exact position and condition of the 47th, since at any given time there were as many as three separate locations for them on corresponding dates. Prisoners taken by the Alliance further confused them by giving memorized false information, and on at least two different occasions, Independents of other battalions mentioned the 47th in transmissions of troop movements on open frequencies where they weren't even present.

As a result of all this confusion, the Alliance sometimes believed that there simply couldn't be a 47th at all, and this produced an ever changing understanding, even mythology about the brigade, to say nothing of the jokes. Often when asked where they had served, soldiers of the 47th would simply shrug and say, "Here and There and There".

It should be noted that the 47th is the only brigade known to have fought significant battles on three different fronts during the same period of time. A commemorative patch of those separate, simultaneous battles bears the phrase 'Triple threat - Too tough for any one Fight'.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Return to Non-canon props