Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Non-canon pilot certificate cards

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Non-canon pilot certificate cards

Postby orion » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:59 am

I had an idea to make some pilot certificate card graphics for the 'verse styled after the current FAA pilot certificates (image from Wikipedia for the unfamiliar) -- this is how it turned out:

Larger: https://i.imgur.com/T9J5aEi.png

Larger: https://i.imgur.com/4QmeNp9.png

Source graphics:

I'm not sure how accurate the information is; pretty much all of it is made up. I don't think Wash's home planet was ever specified beyond being so polluted that he couldn't see the stars (in "Our Mrs. Reynolds"). Is there a generally accepted headcanon that people subscribe to about things like that?
orion
Alliance soldier

Re: Non-canon pilot certificate cards

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:30 am

Way shiny, Orion!

And bless you for offering up all the lovely How-I-Did-It info! (Cuz otherwise I'd pester you horribly for it.)

As someone who hails from North Carolina, I especially love the Wright Bros. Image you put in the background. Take THAT, Ohio!

(Which still has NC beat cuz John Glen is from Ohio, but still! Even though they were also from Ohio, the Wright Bros. first flew in NC.)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:34 am

Instead of Nationality, maybe use POB ("Planet of Birth").

Oh and Roman numeral 7 ("VII") is missing.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:24 am

IIRC, those numbered categories were determined in the twenties by some international organization. It's possible that the US simply found no purpose for whatever category VII was.

http://www.icao.int/safety/implementati ... _07_02.pdf

Here they are, from the PDF:

Chapter 5. Specifications for Personnel Licences

5.1.1.2 The following details shall appear on the licence:

I) Name of State (in bold type);
II) Title of licence (in very bold type);
III) Serial number of the licence, in Arabic numerals, given by the authority issuing the licence;
IV) Name of holder in full (in Roman alphabet also if script of national language is other than Roman);
IV) Date of birth;
V) Address of holder if desired by the State;
VI) Nationality of holder;
VII) Signature of holder;
VIII) Authority and, where necessary, conditions under which the licence is issued;
IX) Certification concerning validity and authorization for holder to exercise privileges appropriate to licence;
X) Signature of officer issuing the licence and the date of such issue;
XI) Seal or stamp of authority issuing the licence;
XII) Ratings, e.g. category, class, type of aircraft, airframe, aerodrome control, etc.;
XIII) Remarks, i.e. special endorsements relating to limitations and endorsements for privileges, including from 5 March 2008 an endorsement of language proficiency, and other information required in pursuance to Article 39 of the Chicago Convention;
XIV) Any other details desired by the State issuing the licence.

5.1.2 Material

First quality paper or other suitable material, including plastic cards, shall be used and the items mentioned in 5.1.1.2 shown clearly thereon.

5.1.3 Language

When licences are issued in a language other than English, the licence shall include an English translation of at least items I), II), VI), IX), XII), XIII) and XIV).

5.1.4 Arrangement of items

Item headings on the licence shall be uniformly numbered in roman numerals as indicated in 1.1, so that on any licence the number will, under any arrangement, refer to the same item heading.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:20 am

Wow, Mike, you did a lot of legwork for this post. Thank you!

Category VII is the signature of the license holder. I have a hard time figuring out why it would be considered nonessential! LOL!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby orion » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:39 am

Glad you like it! The idea for the design pretty much came from looking at the FAA certificate and imagining having a Firefly on it instead of a Boeing 737; from there it was just a matter of changing the text and symbology where appropriate. (As far as the design went anyways... actually putting the image together took a surprising amount of time. Although, I'll concede I'm not super well versed in graphic design, but I'd like to think it turned out fairly well.)

I had briefly considered replacing the background, but ultimately decided against it, as I believe that the Wright Brothers' first flight was historically and culturally significant enough to be fairly common knowledge in the 'verse, plus it seems like a good tribute to the origins of powered flight. I was also surprisingly pleased with how the juxtaposition between Serenity and the Wright Flyer turned out as well.

A minor change, but I also decided to put the height and weight in meters and kilograms instead of inches and pounds, as I figure in 500 years (and being half Chinese) the Alliance would use the metric system.

Also, XII (ratings) XIII (limitations) and VII (signature of holder) are on the the back of the FAA certificates. Since I was basing these fictious certificates on the FAA ones, they too don't appear on the front. I actually hadn't designed the backs for the fictious cards, but there's not really much that would need to be changed to fit in a different context.
Last edited by orion on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
orion
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:47 am

Hah! So that's where it went! Mystery solved. Now I can sleep. :)
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:55 pm

Don't forget, if you want Wash's actual signature, this is it signed by Alan Tudyck:

from this thread, which also includes Book and Jayne:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=189

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:02 pm

Those are great.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:56 am