Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Independent Soldier Kit

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Independent Soldier Kit

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:54 am

I'm always on the lookout for little additives for Independent Soldiers. Stuff they might carry in their packs and use in the field. Simple, utilitarian stuff. Here are some finds that I think would fit comfortably in the Verse.

First, a can opener/spork. This little beauty is one part traditional military can opener and bottle opener and one part spork. It's the perfect tool for opening a can of beans and a utensil to polish them off. It's made by a company called Marbles and you can get them on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marbles-MR290-C ... SwB09YISSz

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Re: Independent Soldier Kit

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:37 am

Heres's another good find for basic kit. The classic harmonica, because "it's hard to fit a piano in a foxhole".

This one is just a basic, no frills harmonica. I bought it from Hong Kong, because I wanted a plain one with no writing at all. Something that would look mass produced for troops, but without name or stamp. Plus...it's a dirt cheap addition to kit.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 1155092145

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby msglaigaie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:40 am

I have spent quite a few years in the field during my Military career. I used this very tool, spork and P38 can opener. I carried it all over the west pacific and africa. Great little tool and very common in a combat Soldiers kit.
msglaigaie
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:20 am

msglaigaie wrote:I have spent quite a few years in the field during my Military career. I used this very tool, spork and P38 can opener. I carried it all over the west pacific and africa. Great little tool and very common in a combat Soldiers kit.

Oh good! I didn't serve in the military, so I have to think as pragmatically as possible and hope that I get close to the mark. You're the second soldier to tell me as much.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:03 am

This one's a little more 'add if you like'. During the series, Shepherd Book uses a Nelson Compact Reference Edition Bible. Since many soldier's kits down through the ages included a standard bible, I found another Nelson bible that's even more compact than Book's, so that it looks like the tiny ones issued to soldiers. It's called "The Smallest Bible" by Nelson and they were printed in the mid-90s. They're hard to come by cheap, but I have managed to find a few under $30 in the past few months on Ebay.

I'm also looking for similar texts for Buddhist texts, such as pocket versions of the Dhammapada or Abhidharma, but I haven't one that looks 'right' yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Bible.../dp/0840784473

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:17 am

I love the pics, William! And the items. Keep 'em comin'! (If it's not too much trouble ...) ;)
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:18 am

This is another dirt cheap addition. When Mary McKay Eaton was talking about a 'A hygiene kit', I remembered this bookmarked item. It goes without saying that you should leave the razors at home when cosplaying, but this little kit is compact and has a built in shaving mirror.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Traditional-S ... xyyq5TOUMT

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:06 am

This is a great idea to put together a Soldier's Kit, and a real good start.

Oh, and the war is over....or is it? :mrgreen:
AZSneed
Browncoat

Return to Non-canon props