Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Actor Character Signatures

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Actor Character Signatures

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 am

You
drewsmith007 wrote:Also, I'm headed to Trek Expo in Tulsa this weekend, and Levar Burton will be there. I'm in the process of building the Geordi Visor for him to sign, I'll post pics when I finish. You can find the build on the RPF.

I am so envious right now. I have been legally blind since I was 5 years old, and I have become a huge fan of Geordi, and Levar respectively.

As a kid all my blind friend were huge fans, but I was like "It's a sighted guy, playing a blind guy, with a visor, that gives him site."
"If he has something that makes him see, then how is he any different then any one else?" As an adult, I have come to see what a difference he actually made. He was so much more then a sighted guy, playing a blind guy. He truly captured what it was like to be blind in a sighted world. It wasn't just well written lines either, it was a person of one minority, giving a voice to another one.

Did you all know, there is actually an electronic device, that helps people with very little vision, see better, officially named "the Geordi", after his character. (it doesn't look like, or work like. his visor, but I still think it was nice of them to name it after the character.)

I think what really made me take a good look (Pardon the pun) at his role, as an adult, was when we staretd looking into doing a run of the visors over at the RPF, a few years ago. I hadn't really thought about the fact, that well in the "Star Trek Universe" the visor may have helped him to see, in some ways. In real life, the prop visors (and there were a number of then over the years) really limed Levars field of vision, and no doubt, let him feel a little more like, the part he was playing, wall he was playing it.

Sorry, about the very. off topic rant, but I didn't know he was still doing conventions, and I really am enviously. I hope you post pics either here, or over in you RPF thread if you do get his autograph.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby drewsmith007 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:55 am

Thanks CB, that's pretty cool. Jason, did you ever get a visor? I couldn't find much on the RPF...
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 am

drewsmith007 wrote:Thanks CB, that's pretty cool. Jason, did you ever get a visor? I couldn't find much on the RPF...

Sort of. I bout one of the kit's, but was unable to finish it. In the end, I had to let it go, to someone who could finish it. (or at least thought they could, I don't know if they ever did finish it for themselves)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby MedwayPVB » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:48 pm

Just a heads up that Jewel Staite and Adam Baldwin are scheduled to appear at London Olympia on 6-8th July:

http://www.londonfilmandcomiccon.com/

I'll be there on the Saturday in my Browncoat costume. 8-)
MedwayPVB
Independent Soldier

Postby Citizen_Browncoat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:40 pm

They are also slated to be at Dragon Con along with Simon - but Adam's track record has not been the best in recent years........
"May have been the losin' side - Still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Citizen_Browncoat
Serenity Crew Member

Postby MedwayPVB » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Adam was only added to LFCC recently, so I'm hoping he might actually make this. :)

I won't be at D*Con this year, so local cons are the only ones I'm going to. :|
MedwayPVB
Independent Soldier

Postby drewsmith007 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:29 am

Pics are up. You can see them here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/st-tng-geordi- ... ost2311464

Levar seemed like a really cool guy.
Bwah.
drewsmith007
Independent Soldier

Previous

Return to Non-canon props