Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Ransom Project

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: The Ransom Project

Postby Mike J. » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:19 pm

Here's the short version: Arabic, like cursive, has connections between the letters. Arabic has at least three forms for each letter, depending on it's position in the word; first, middle or last. Because this is foreign to Western writing, many (Western) programs do not handle this correctly. Additionally, Arabic is written 'backwards,' from right to left.

Even if you're copying and pasting accurate Arabic source text, you might still end up with an incorrect result. It's happened to me, and I've seen it happen in the background of movies, where someone probably just copied and pasted and none of the letters are linked together correctly, regardless of whether they are in the correct order, or if the text even makes sense.

I _can_ get around this by going into the character map / glyphs and hand-picking the correct letters, and then putting them together manually, but it's very tedious, since I don't know the language or the alphabet, and I'm just scrolling though scores of letters looking for the one that looks like a backwards "g" or whatever. I did this for my Lilac postcards and for some Total Recall 2012 stuff. Frankly, it is a pain in the ass.

In all fairness, I have not tried this in the latest versions of Illustrator or Photoshop. It's possible they've improved it.

-MJ
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks, Teacher. With Windows Paint, I do it manually, a pain, but the final result is rewarding to me.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Wow, so that's the story. It makes me wonder if I totally botched the Arabic on that marriage document I made 3 years ago. Looking at it now, I can see that all the characters are standing alone and not joined together like script lettering.

Huh. I wonder if I can go back and adjust the kerning manually ... no, wait, the font doesn't have the little leader and little tailer strokes that join letters together. Of course that's assuming Arabic uses those.

*Sighhhh ...*

Well, here's hoping my friend Steve never notices it.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:11 pm

I will let Steve know....Image
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:16 pm

The alternative would be to screencapture it in Google Translate, or another program that handles it well.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Screen capture might work. If I can figure out how to make Google Translate show the foreign character results as I may have enough pixels to work with. As it is, I will only have 72 dpi for the source image. Not much there when you need 300.dpi.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Mike J. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:51 am

You can maximize your window and then magnify the webpage to increase the size of the text on the screen. It'll get you some more resolution, not a lot, but some.
Mike J.
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:42 am

That's true!
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm

I am wondering, when is the Ransom Project going to expand? We need to have Business owners and Residents to expand their involvement and most of all William to really get it moving. I need an address for my business, so I can expand on my props. I have some ideas, but, I hate to work on them, if I am alone.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:46 am

I've been working on Ransom secret projects for about a month now. You're going to see some delicious props very soon.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props