Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

The Expanding Verse

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: The Expanding Verse

Postby AZSneed » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks for the tags!

I found in a dumpster in back of a grocery store, styrofoam crates used for shipping grapes, and thought of using them as cargo crates. A little paint, some labels, you get the idea.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Eric Ardros » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:43 am

I actually did the same thing years ago for storing my Star Trek props. Painted them and added some Starfleet cargo labels to give them that Star Trek look, and ta-da! Instant cargo container.

It worked for me, so I don't see why it couldn't work for you. I personally think it's a good idea. Go with it, dude.
"It may have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one."

VISIT MY SITE: My Prop Collection
Eric Ardros
Blue Hand guy

Keelhauler Transport and Trading Company

Postby Yellowjacket » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Keelhauler Transport and Trading Company might seem like a fly by night business at first glance, especially to the larger companies and the handful of mega-corporations in the Verse, but not so. Not only does Keelhauler thrive with its handful of old transports and seemingly remote offices, but it manages to pick up so much business that falls through the economic cracks of the Core that it excels on several fronts.

First, the Keelhauler fleet is small, so maintenance is small. Rather than maintain a large fleet of ships and shuttles in endless need of repair or replacement, Keelauler piggybacks more than 85% of its transport and trade with other cargo ships, ingoing and outgoing passenger liners and smugglers already bound for destinations favorable to shipping and receiving.

Second, Keelhauler has little to no overhead. Small runs in great quantities means big business with little storage or stock issues.

Also, the name is hard to forget. Even if one could forget such a name (with that special 'I'm sorry...what?' quality) Keelhauler itself would never let you forget it. What Keelhauler lacks in large advertising funds, it more than makes up for in the liberal distribution of cheap print goods.

Ship a box or two for Keelhauler and expect to walk away with a t-shirt or two and a handful of classic postcards (perfect for that handwritten wave from the Rim).

"Dear Ma. Our postman got ate by Reavers, but the youngin's are just fine."

Front:

Back:

pdf:
http://pics.fireflyprops.net/KeelhaulerPostcard.pdf

NOTE: These are set up as U.S. standard sized postcards for mailing. You should print these on pretty heavy cardstock, or they'll fail as actual postcards.
Last edited by Yellowjacket on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:17 pm

SHINY! :D
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:35 am

It a great looking Postcard, thanks! I like the background info.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Justanuthercap » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:44 pm

Excellent work! Very verse-like!!
Jayne: (mock reading Simon's journal) "Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy." (flips page) "Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."
Justanuthercap
terrifying space monkey

Beaumonde Bonded Carrier and Forwarding Operations form

Postby Yellowjacket » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:01 am

Beaumonde Bonded Carrier and Forwarding Operations form

This was one of my first ship's papers, but it took forever to get everything just so. I wanted to create documents that reflected the cultural diversity of the Verse, beyond the all too obvious super Chinese/Anglo super culture. I love Mandarin as a language, but this form allowed me to explore a little French, so I chose to do a form out of Beaumonde. I was also lucky enough to find an actual bonded carrier form out of Canada, which already had most of the translations in English and French. Ironically, I learned that quite a bit of the French has mistakes, but I left it as is. I think the mistakes say something about governments in general

My special thanks to my wife, who typed all the French for this document, 'cause this thing is text intensive. Also a big thanks and a nod to the indomitable Whitefall for passing along some last minute information from the Atlas of the Verse, so that I could finish the instructions side of this form (specifically the names of port cities for the addresses, i.e. Bander Docks & BIC Commercial Docks).

Appréciez !

http://pics.fireflyprops.net/PACE-Beaum ... arrier.pdf

...I also dropped in a subtle reference to the 47A.
Last edited by Yellowjacket on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby keelhauler » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Total awesomeness!
"Heard tell they used to keelhaul traitors back in the day" ~ Malcolm Reynolds
keelhauler
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:31 am

Absolutely amazing! Thanks once again!
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback and the positive reception. There will be a few more ship's papers this week and some upcoming food labels.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props