Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Raleigh CSTS 2012 Props and Graphics

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Raleigh CSTS 2012 Props and Graphics

Postby taimdala » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:58 pm

Sir_Angus wrote:SNIP

On official hand-signed memorandums we do use special watermarked paper, but for mundane official stuff either a digital signature or more commonly a blue stamp w/ an initial area (used by the processor). I can send you a picture of what one looks like so you can make an Alliance version, if you like.

That would be wonderful. Yes, please! :D
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:14 am

Sir_Angus wrote:
My time with the military has been a bit of a pokemon adventure. lol I've served with the Army twice, got commissioned in the AF, and now work for the Coast Guard.

Everything but the Navy and the Marines. Wow. You've been busy! OOohhhh, now I wanna ask you what you did in all that. Cuz Army is infantry, Air Force is air power, and Coast Guard is anti-drug enforcement, sea search-and-rescue, and scientific stuff.

Right?
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:55 am

As to the debate of levels of technology across the worlds of the Verse, I think there's considerable leeway once you're out of the centermost of the Core. It's a matter of geography, politics, economics, and exploitable resources. Embargoes come into play. Restrictions on tech as imposed by the Alliance. Shady business practices and backrooom deals. Desperation to make a buck to feed your family. Greed to make a profit no matter the human cost. And more variables than I can reasonably name here.

In my version of the Verse--and YMMV--there are worlds that are actively held back from being technologically/economically self-sufficient, because it serves the Alliance interest to keep them in hock, in thrall, to whatever the Alliance chooses to give them. There are worlds where the Alliance actively thwarts industry on the ground, keeps conditions primitive, because it keeps the inhabitants too busy to rebuild or simply survive rather than foment rebellion against the Alliance. In my version of the Verse, cats are a black market commodity on such worlds because they're a self-sustaining alternative to pest control. A man with a breeding pair of cats can name his price, especially in an agrarian economy. Without cats, you'd have to buy chemical pesticides which of course have to be shipped in from elsewhere (the Core or Core-allied world) since you haven't the tech to make it at home.

Conversely, in my version of the Verse, the Core worlds are shiny but rotten at their core. Their infrastructure has the ability to support billions more than what we can today, yes, but it requires the raw resources of the outer worlds to do it. The standard of living is fairly high for a huge section of the population but it's on the backs of others, most of them far removed and worlds away. I expect a certain amount of class rigidity in such a social set up, as people higher on the ladder work to rise higher and those above them try to preserve their standing lest they fall lower.

How low can they fall? Far. There are those who were too impoverished to make the trip to the Rim and the Border as colonists and settlers. They live on the dole. Or they live in the seamy underbelly of the world, in the Blackout Zones. Neither situation is as cushy as you'd think Core-side living would be. Crime. Hunger. Violence. Those are the order of the day, rubbing elbows with the pristine dream of True Civilization--a civilization that's out of reach through lack of money or standing, denied through snobbery and croneyism. There could be an entire class of people filling up the dole highrises and lower levels of those shiny mile-high cities, disenfranchised and growing more discontent with their lot.

It makes me wonder if the Alliance is in a similar situation that Ancient Rome used to be: keeping the bread and circuses coming, lest the mob rise up and tear it to pieces. Bread and circuses in this case being a certain standard of living and a distraction from the problems that come with it by supplying a boogeyman to fight--like independent terrorists out to destroy civilization. Even a man who has very little to lose feels he's better off than a man who has nothing to own, and therefore is willing to do anything to keep what little he has.

And don't get me started on the paternalistic, almost Soviet flavor I got off Simon's flashbacks of the Core in "Safe". The very idea that simply walking into a police station and getting someone out on bail is sufficient to put you under the watchful eye of a supposedly benevolent government smacks of a world full of neighborhood informants and political education classes and ideological 'training' to me. And that's the Core, the Alliance, the Light of Civilization.

No wonder the Independents would have nothing to do with it.

Again, this is my extrapolation of the Verse from the tiny portion we got to see through the tv show and the movie. And even that narrative is colored by the narrator: a rag tag crew of smugglers and a pair of fugitives. Hardly an objective viewpoint. But then, I never said mine was either. ;)

If you accept for the sake of the argument such a wide variance across the worlds in terms of tech and the possible causes for it, it does not seem inconceivable that you'd have some parties using typewriters to run up documents while others use smart paper, or digital files, or hell, smoke signals or mirrors. You use what you have access to, what you can make. Or beg, borrow, or steal. Or buy. And you are limited by what your document recipient has to read said document on or with.

Then there are times when you use off-grid/non-traceable methods because you don't want other parties able to know what you're doing. In a civilization so devoted to technology and electronic/energy devices as the Core seems to be, does it occur to the Feds that you can send messages by any other means? Perhaps not. If you were of a mind, that could be an advantage. But I suspect that would be a topic better suited to another thread. I know I must have taken up too much room on this one and for that I apologize. I just get a mite carried away when it comes to visualizing the Verse.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:21 am

Whenever I wax geopolitical, I have to do something fun afterwards to get the taste out of my mouth. So ... Graphics!

I did a Verse themed wall clock for the Raleigh CSTS raffle and I can't take credit for the image. My old friend Bogie from California sent it to me ages ago. In a way, you can say he was the one responsible for getting me into this propmaking business in the first place, because he gave me a copy of Photoshop. That was 6 years ago and for the first two years it just sat there in my disc wallet. LOL. Yes, it took me that long to realize that Photoshop was good for more than taking out red-eye in photos.

So, here's the clock:

And here's a Blue Sun clock I made for the Bad Guy's basket. It's just the graphic. I was razoring out the paper goods up to the last minute and flat out forgot to take a picture of it after I put the clock together. It went into a clock just like the Slim's one, only it had a black frame instead of the red.

And no. I didn't space out the minute and hour marks on the Blue Sun graphic. I found a free and royalty-free clip art site online for that. I know there's a way to do it in Photoshop with just one mark, repeated and rotated umpty-bazillion times. But it involves math and I avoid math when I can. So ... clip art. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't have to?

Next year's CSTS I'll make a Fruity Oaty Bar themed clock and maybe I can find a blue neon-lighted clock for another Blue Sun clock. I spied such a neon clock (minus the Blue Sun logo, of course) at a local Wal-Mart for 20 bucks, but I'm hoping to avoid paying that much. If I'm shelling out that much, then gorrammit, I wanna keep it. Hang it on my wall. All blue and glowy.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Goodwolf » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:30 am

Sir_Angus wrote:
So, 500 yrs in the future, the Alliance is using fancy sci-fi technology and the Independents are using 600+ y.o. tech? I'm not as experienced as most of you when it comes to props and the like, but just suggesting maybe they aren't as backwards as using manual typewriters. Someone would still need to produce ribbons which are hard enough to come by nowadays. A more reliable printing system would be a press, but to me, that seems even more unlikely.

The retro weapons and lifestyle does make sense from a utilitarian standing. Simple bullets, plows, wagons, and in general American frontier living means things that are built to last and easy to repair with basic hand tools. All you need is a good blacksmith, leatherworker, and carpenter.

To use a tired old cliche... necessity is the mother of invention. Your second statement sort of ephasizes the necessity of the first. That is, in a situation where you'd need easily repaired tech with the resources at hand, what would be easier to maintain... the equivalent of a typewriter or the equivalent of a Xerox machine? An ink ribbon would be much easier to fabricate. The printing presses would still be around for the local newspapers and the like, but for forms and things where you need to enter information quickly, the typewriter would be a better choice.

That said, some people, like the more successful merchants and ostentatious families might have something a little more high tech, if only to flaunt their wealth and/or success. So a successful store in "town" might have the equivalent of an internet kiosk with online catalogue for Blue Sun, while the average Joe family might still get their catalogs in good ol' paper form.
Last edited by Goodwolf on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May have been on the losin' side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Goodwolf
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:46 am

Bronson BB wrote:So, here are my thoughts, for what they’re worth.
More than half of the ‘Browncoats’ who fought in the war were volunteers.
This would suggest, given simple supply economics, that the Independent movement
very quickly found itself short on uniforms, food, vehicles and equipment upon its transitioning into being an Army.
SNIP
This is the most I’ve ever had to say on any subject.
What do guys think?

taimdala wrote:As to the debate of levels of technology across the worlds of the Verse,
I think there's considerable leeway once you're out of the centermost of the Core.
SNIP
I know I must have taken up too much room on this one and for that I apologize.
I just get a mite carried away when it comes to visualizing the Verse.

I love these in depth "discussions".
I wish I had the time and typing talent to participate in more than snippets.
More than that, I wish I had the money to gather the active members of FFprops
at my place for the ultimate prop and discussion shindig.
Too bad we're scattered to the four corners of the globe.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Ooh hey! That's a cool idea Mike: getting us together and hanging out.

I could road trip as far south as Atlanta or as far north as Philadelphia for a weekend. Or there's Skype. We could pick a time and date and Skype in and hang out and shoot the breeze. For those of us with built in web cams on our laptops it might even be possible to see as well as hear us. For this I would go out and buy a headset with microphone. I even have a way to record the session, save it as an mp3, and dropbox it for anyone who wants a copy.

Um. Yeah. Maybe that comes across as too stalkery or something.

(Reins in enthusiasm)

But seriously, there are ways we could set up a gathering online, even with the time differences. My husband works from home and manages meetings with people as far as India and Australia. So I know this can be done.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby punctated » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 pm

I like the face to face approach; especially if everyone brings goodies for everyone to look at and handle.
punctated
Hero of Canton

Postby taimdala » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi Punctuated! Yeah, the inability to pick up things and examine them is a drawback of the online conference. Suckkity.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:24 pm

Well, how about a shindig for all that can physically attend,
and a group teleconference for those who can't?

If we can find a date that works, I'd love to host.
Lots of stuff to work out, (dates, crash-space-or-motels, etc)
but no urgency.
I'm in south central PA, so kinda central to a number of members.
We can make general plans on the board,
but I prefer specifics like addresses and phone numbers be done by PM or email.

Thoughts?

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to Non-canon props