Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Raleigh CSTS 2012 Props and Graphics

Got something Firefly related to show off? This is the place for you!

Re: Raleigh CSTS 2012 Props and Graphics

Postby Sir_Angus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Sadly no. I did all my course work by hand. Laughably, we were told CAD wasn't critical to learn to get a job. Now my alma mater requires new students to have a laptop and load a student version.
Raised on Mudder's Milk!
Sir_Angus
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Geez, yeah. They really flubbed the call on that one, didn't they? Requiring students to have a laptop wtih stuff loaded--yeah. I looked into enrolling into Full Sail University and not only did it cost more than enrolling in my state university in my town, it required the purchase of an Apple laptop with their course programs/materials on it. There wasn't an option to use my own (PC). So, if I crapped out, I'd be stuck with an Apple and programs. If I graduated, I'd be stuck with an Apple and programs. Either way, I'd have to learn to navigate a completely different OS and buy a computer when I already had a perfectly good one.

Sheesh.

And by the time my daughter gets into college (4 years hence), I expect she'll be required to have a tablet with the next generation (x3) processor and OS on it to do everything. Or maybe they'll have a breakthrough in tech and she could just do it all on her smart phone.

*eyeroll*

I like the shiny gadgets as much as the next guy but gadgetry for gadgetry's sake? Not so much. That said, this is what *I* want for Christmas. My laptop is just about topped out for memory space and processing, what with all the Photoshoppery I've done since October.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Sir_Angus » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Well let me tell ya, as an Apple convert, switching from PC to MAC isn't that hard. Things are organized intelligently, and if you're a big keyboard shortcut user you just the CMD instead of Ctrl.

As for your current PC dilemmas, upgrading processors and RAM is still pretty easy, and I solved my HD woes with a DROBO. It's a stand-alone, proprietory RAID HD bank. I linked it to my Apple Airport (router) and turned it into a WiFi network server that my laptop backs up to automatically. The small one (4 slots) like I've got running 4TBs cost about $400. Plus it can be upgraded to a max 16TB ... You just have to buy the bigger drives.

But, yeah, all the gadgets are getting ridiculous. I've actually had to scold friends for not unplugging around people. I find it just rude, but maybe I'm old school?
Raised on Mudder's Milk!
Sir_Angus
Independent Soldier

Postby taimdala » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Nope. It is rude. Especially if they're doing it around a person who doesn't have a gadget to ignore *them* on at the same time. At the gaming table, our GM has a rule--no electronics at the table, except to look up game references. Actually, one of the players is playing a mute character who signs or uses text to speech on her tablet to communicate to people. And two other players have replaced their paper and pencils to documents on their tablets. I swear, I'm feeling something like a dinosaur with my paper and pencil.

But I can still draw freakin' circles around them with said paper and pencil. I haven't seen yet a tablet version of Photoshop that was worth my time. When that day arrives, however ....

*whine!*

That darned thing might never leave my hand. Fair warning!
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 am

My mom was at a funeral where a guy took a call on his phone DURING THE FUNERAL.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:59 am

OMG, that's horrible. And he didn't even bother to silence his phone? He just answered and started talking? Oboy.
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby Sir_Angus » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Yellowjacket wrote:My mom was at a funeral where a guy took a call on his phone DURING THE FUNERAL.

That's gotta be one of the worst I've heard yet ... At a funeral! Sheez :roll:

Yeah, I've got the gadgets, but choose to be with the people I'm out with. Seems to be an archaic concept.

Also ... Wow ... We are way off topic. :lol:
Raised on Mudder's Milk!
Sir_Angus
Independent Soldier

Postby AZSneed » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21 am

I don't like the gadgets that are out there now. I only have a TracFone for emergencies, mostly. When my last phone went out, I lost my 700 minutes on it, I just don't talk on them much. I won't own a "Smart" phone or I-anything.* I still like to watch VHS and Beta tapes, listen to Records, 45's and cassettes. I read books, the paper kind. Gadges are fine, if they really improve life, but, they can make you depend on them too much, then when the power/batteries go out and you can't get more, TOTAL PANIC!

* UNLESS YOU GET ME ONE FOR CHRISTMAS.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Previous

Return to Non-canon props