Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

"VERA" KIT

Want to buy/trade/sell something?

"VERA" KIT

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 pm

Ok... here we go. You all know I've tried to get runs of a Callahan Autolock kit going in one way or another for years. A few months ago I partnered up with Morganthirteen (real name Shawn) over on the RPF to produce a Judge Dredd Lawgiver kit for the Dredd costuming group on Facebook and it became a big success. We also collaborated in bringing out a kit of Jack Harper's pistol from Oblivion. After talking it over, we've decided to tackle VERA.

First, let me say that M13 is one of THE best casters around. His casts require almost NO cleanup and are generally flawless. Anyone who owns his Aliens incinerator or other kits can attest to this. I have no doubt that if he casts pieces to build a Callahan Autolock they will be the best and most accurate you could ever hope for short of dropping the real deal in silicone.

Current status (THE IMPORTANT STUFF as of April 2014):
I have over the last few months gone back and completely revamped my old 3d files. During the course of this I found countless other details that were not present on my metal build due to limitations in the amount of available reference at the time. I also went back and fixed a few things that I knew about but that were out of my control since I didn't do the machining. The results are, if I may say so myself, a marked improvement over my own past effort.

In order to have full control over the master pattern, I actually went out and purchased a 3d printer for this project. The last few weeks it has been running almost constantly churning out raw parts that (so far) I am pleased to say are turning out better than other "prosumer home printed" parts I have seen- honestly, I getting results that surpass a lot of commercial vendors! I currently have a 90% complete set of master parts that will be ready for molding after some prep work. (You can see some of these in photos further down the thread.)

The plan (MORE important stuff):

The kit will be cast in several major pieces. It's likely they would be (at least partly) rotocast and foam filled to keep the weight down. Delicate areas like the stock may possibly have metal supports cast into them (if needed).

Due to the amount of silicone, materials and other work that are needed for a kit like this, I'm estimating the cost of this kit to be in the range $450 for a kit if we can get 10-20 people onboard and 100% committed. That's a ready-to-assemble kit, with little cleanup needed.

Some additional details:
- Parts will be cast to minimize masking, but not be completely broken down because that would mean 20+ molds and no rotocasting.
- The reciever will be cast separate from the magazine, barrel and other parts for those that want to try and connect it to an airsoft body or other "functional" replica body.
- For those in the UK, we can talk about delivering parts in bright colors as we did with the Lawgivers.
-The D-LAP and ANVPS18 scopes will most likely be included (or at least made available somehow), even though replica airsoft variants are available.

Note: In addition to the kit, I may also produce, on special request, a couple extra sets of parts for those that must have an all-bells-and-whistles replica. If you're interested in this, send me a PM and we'll talk, but be advised that since printing one set takes (at least) a couple hundred hours of machine time alone, it will not be inexpensive.

So, if you'd be 100% up for one within the next six months or so, please chime in. Please say you're in ONLY if you are committed- this run will already be VERY limited and we can neither afford to lose money or waste time due to dropoffs. Due to the insane startup cost, we will also require deposits once we get underway to secure spots. To show you what to expect in terms of quality, I'm attaching a photo of our Lawgiver kit, right at de-molding.

Thanks!
Attachments
photo 1.JPG
Last edited by Joatrash on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Re: "VERA" KIT

Postby pennausamike » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi Joe:

I wouldn't say "opportunistic", but it is premature for a commitment, at least from me.
I'll admit that I'm watching the 3-D printer project with interest.
And, it's all going to come down to price.
My "hoped-for" price point was $350, but if the end price is $500 or so,
then the six months lead time is better for me from a budgetary point of view.
Because I am planning to "monkey-see-monkey-do" machine some of the parts in metal
(using the printed or cast resin parts as examples)
I am less concerned about finish off a printer versus nicely cast pieces.

Once the 3-D printer project is out there with a firm price,
I'll know what I plan to do.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:18 pm

I can't stand Judge Dread, and yet I kind of want one of those guns now. You guys did a fantastic job on that. I mean, it really just jumps out at you, as being exceptionally well crafted.

That is an awesome price range for Vera. I mean, I wouldn't expect to get an awful recast kit, of that size, at those prices, let alone, a High end, High quality kit, like you have planned. For those that have the funds, that is so cool.

It's killing me, that for once, in my life, I have that kind of money saved up, and instead of buying one of these awesome replicas, I have to hold on to it, for a trip later this year, that my girlfriend wants to go on. (A trip that I don't want to go on, to a place I have no desire to go to. Isn't love grand. :lol:)

This is the kind of project, that even if I never get to own one, I will love seeing it progress, and seeing peoples builds, and how each person approaches finishing their kits. Exciting times.
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:40 pm

pennausamike wrote:Hi Joe:

I wouldn't say "opportunistic", but it is premature for a commitment, at least from me.
I'll admit that I'm watching the 3-D printer project with interest.
And, it's all going to come down to price.
My "hoped-for" price point was $350, but if the end price is $500 or so,
then the six months lead time is better for me from a budgetary point of view.
Because I am planning to "monkey-see-monkey-do" machine some of the parts in metal
(using the printed or cast resin parts as examples)
I am less concerned about finish off a printer versus nicely cast pieces.

Once the 3-D printer project is out there with a firm price,
I'll know what I plan to do.

Mike

As I recall, the Aliens incinerator kits were about 350, with metal supports cast in. (The Lawgiver was 200.) I just want to be clear about things... Shawn spends a LOT of time on each casting. More than anyone I've encountered aside from maybe Matsuo and Robstyle. There's a CHANCE that the Vera kit will come down to that price in the end... I just can't say for sure until we get going a bit. It also depends on if five or fifteen people want in. Raw ABS/PL printed parts are VERY rough... and even with a bit of D.I.Y. there are more interesting things to do than have to fill and sand all the troublesome little nooks that a Callahan Autolock has. (I have a friend in the US that offered to print some parts before... just never got around to it.) And while it may unashamedly be "tooting my own horn" a bit... I'm going to revamp those few accuracy issues in my models that have been bothering me since I made them. (Small details like certain grooves on the real Vera having been machined with different type bits than on my metal version. Stuff that very few would notice.)

And thanks for the kind words Jason.
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby DRBJR » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm in! Let me be clear, I'm totally 100% committed to purchase this kit, even at a higher price point if you don't get enough interested people.

The prop gods answered my prayers that the two of you would team up again. I just had my wife pinch me, because I wouldn't have dared pray for Vera!

Not only do I own the Joe & Shawn lawgiver, but I have Shawn's incinerator, too. Unless my credit card is maxed out, if Shawn produces something, I'll buy it based on his casting work alone.

Start saving people! :)
DRBJR
Alliance soldier

Postby pennausamike » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Joatrash wrote: I just want to be clear about things...

I just want to be clear that my hoped for price is a reflection of how my budget works,
and not meant in any way to be a statement of value or trying to set an artificially low price.

It is great to see VERA coming available, for sure!

As always, I just have too many irons in the fire...

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Joatrash » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:30 pm

pennausamike wrote:
As always, I just have too many irons in the fire...

Mike

So do I Mike... so do I. :)

I'm actually working on a kit that is (hopefully) coming before Vera- the pistol from Oblivion. Darned thing is pretty complicated.
//jOe

Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby F-N-S » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Count me in!
"We're gonna get that show back on the air!"
F-N-S
Pilot of this shiny forum

Postby jason1976 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Joatrash wrote:I'm actually working on a kit that is (hopefully) coming before Vera- the pistol from Oblivion. Darned thing is pretty complicated.

As you know, I love the converted Serenity 1911, you did. If you ever offer that kit for sale, either as a 3D printed conversion kit (which would be nice, since i have a 1911 I like, and the grips), or as a casting of the whole pistol, please let me know. That should be closer to my budget, and it would fit the little bit of space I have left in my collection better too.

Just wanted to say that, but I wont derail things any further. I can't wait to see how this Vera kit turns out. (I know it will be great, I'm just so happy to see this finally happening for those that can afford it. :) )
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby mandio222 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 pm

Ill wait and see... but interested
mandio222
Blue Hand guy

Next

Return to Marketplace