Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

CANCELED: Core Mining #1

Want to buy/trade/sell something?

CANCELED: Core Mining #1

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 am

This will be the first of two patches for 'Core Mining' and the second patch for a series of mining patches I started with the Timpanogos patch. This first Core logo patch will be a smaller 3" patch with iron on backing and a merrowed border. If you're interested in supporting this run, they'll be 1 for $9 shipped in the U.S., or 3 for $21. Please let me know if you are interested and how many you'd like.

This is one of the very first corporate designs I made for the Verse, but I've never shared it.

CORE Mining is based out of the Central Planet of Gonghe. CORE owns an operates a half dozen subsidiaries throughout the Verse.

Last edited by Yellowjacket on Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Re: INTEREST: Core Mining #1

Postby pennausamike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:56 am

I imagine it is meant to be cool in its simplicity,
but nothing says "verse" to me?
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 am

It is the most non-Verse patch I have ever seen. Sorry, I don't like it.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby msglaigaie » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Sorry YJ. I must agree. This one just does not "speak" to me.
msglaigaie
Independent Soldier

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:20 pm

msglaigaie wrote:Sorry YJ. I must agree. This one just does not "speak" to me.

You don't have to apologize. We like what we like.
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:41 pm

Nothing wrong with the basic design as a design.
Just nothing ties it to the 'verse.
If there was some combination of
text for a planet of origin, English and Chinese writing, some known 'verse symbology,
a play on words (like the series "Zir Com Navigate")
I think it would work for Firefly EU.

Which, by the way, is a pretty specific Browncoat fan group, as it is.
I have donated a number of "our" EU ffprops patches to a few events (BCB and CSTS specifically)
and the response has been a little disappointing.
(Which is what happens when you are excited about a thing, and others don't get it.)
I still think the 77th Med patch is a very cool extension of the 'verse,
but outside this board, I've never seen a Browncoat fan express interest.
For many, if it isn't from the show; meh.....

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I understand. I really do. However, I'm too headstrong about an 'infinite Verse', and I'm an advocate of expansion. Limitation in a fandom creates an atmosphere of stagnation and it shows in places.

Example. The comics.

A lot of people don't like the Firefly comics, but can't often explain why they don't like them. That is, until I point out some of the fundamental limitations of the comics. The comics recycle everything. Everything. The same themes. The same catch phrases. The same characters (even ones that were dead). The Verse has 5 primary stars and a 7 protostars with tens of billions of people spread across multiple systems, but most of the expanded 'canon' of the comics is confined to 'fan service'. Reminds me of that Chris Farley skit where he interviews celebrities by simply reminding them of scenes they were in and saying, "That was awesome."

It happens though, and I understand it. It's part of any fandom. We strive to pay tribute by repetition.

The necessity of 'Chinese' is one of those fan 'musts' that I've encountered from the beginning. Almost every early design I made had some Chinese as a matter of course, because I put it there, or a group requested I add it, but it quickly became a fence. It placed boundaries on something that has some pretty vast possibilities.

I had a fellow at a convention argue (loudly) that all Firefly related merchandise should have Chinese on it. Period. He insisted that everything in the show had Chinese. Everything. I was so intrigued by his declaration that I smiled and said, "Like the Independent insignia the soldiers wore?"

He just made a face and said, "Well, everything else does."

Then I began listing everything I could think of from the series and film that didn't have Chinese...

Independent Insignia Patch
Alliance Flag (though arguably Chinese for having the Chinese iconography from the flag of China)
Alliance Flag from the film
Alliance Falcon emblem
The Cortex display on the handheld pad
Many of the shuttle emblems
95% of the Alliance insignia and division patches
2 of the medic insignias
Some of the Firefly builders plates
Jayne's pin-up shirt
Jayne's (mind?) shirt
Skull insignias on the Hover Mule

It didn't change his mind and I didn't expect it to, but it was a good reminder that the show is layered a lot deeper than most ever notice. That's why we loved and still love it. And...there is a lot of Chinese in the series. Most fans I talk to about it have no idea how much Chinese there is. The backgrounds of whole sets are papered in it. I find new posters all the time and quickly send them off to my Mandarin speaking friends to translate them. I'm not opposed to the use if it, just the absolute of it.

If this one doesn't sell, I wouldn't be surprised at all, but I'm an advocate of expansion. Iconographic imagery is a part of the human race going back a very long time. From the scarab to the Nike swoosh. I know it doesn't always sell. In fact, I'm surprised by what does and doesn't. I've had some very 'Fireflyish' projects fail and others (which I made up on a whim) sell like gangbusters.

The 77th Med is a good example. I had a handful of those from the patch run and I couldn't hang on to them around here because they were so popular. About 6 months back I found an extra 77th Med patch and I offered it up to the Utah Browncoats. It sold in less than 5 minutes and I had 4 offers for it within 15 minutes. Long live the 77th!
Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby Yellowjacket » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Also...this is CORE patch #2. Very fitting for this particular conversation.

Yellowjacket
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:33 pm

I can accept the first patch knowing their is a real tie-in.
So. now I am on for one of the 1st patch.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby pennausamike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 am

The Nike swoosh is 40 years old and stands on its own now.
But, the name and the symbol were paired for a long time until the symbol could stand alone.
Also, while these patches are a tangible way for us EU junkies to grow the 'verse,
I feel it is reasonable for them to connect us with other fans as well. (And generate interest/ income to make them happen.)
Without something to connect the patch to the 'verse, we might as well just buy any ol' patch what seems pretty.
Anyway; I like CORE patch number 2.
It would make a nice addition to my industry of the 'verse collection.

Mike
pennausamike
Browncoat

Return to Marketplace