Welcome to fireflyprops.net. Click here to register

Malcolm Reynolds 1:6 Scale Articulated Figure

Threads regarding QMx and their line of licensed Firefly / Serenity stuff

Re: Malcolm Reynolds 1:6 Scale Articulated Figure

Postby Badger » Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm

It does look really good.....

The holster isn't quite right in shape and form.
They got the wrong colour hardware too, should be brass rivets and buckle, not nickel.
Small points, but something they should have picked up since they have such an extensive library of reference....
Oh, and the fact they sold 200 holsters I made with the correct colour hardware :)

It bothers me a little that the holster thumbreak doesn't appear capable of closing and gapes open, not entirely unexpectedly.
It may have been a wiser choice to have it default closed (permanently) as there will be enough play in the thin material to be able to remove the pistol around the thumbreak strap
by just easing it aside

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Stark Resilient » Fri May 16, 2014 6:34 pm

This one might be a must for me.. I have a few Hot Toys 1:6 Avengers pieces, and love them.
Stark Resilient
Alliance soldier

Postby jason1976 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:54 am

[gasp] I can die a happy man......or at lest I can once I have one in hand. This is the item that has been at the top of my want list, since I became a fan o the show.

I even bout a head from some over seas site, and put it on a generic body, and tried to piece together the outfit, with very little luck. Plus, I have thought about trying to do a 1:6 scale lassitor for YEARS.

As for the price, I'm cheep, but even I think that's a good price. I mean, a decade ago sideshow was asking half that, for really detailed figure, but then the price climbed, well the quality went down. Then they started selling Hot Toys 1:6 figures, that look great, but coast between $250. to $400. Plus. (for a dang doll.) I can't tell you how many of those I druled over, only to walk away when I saw the price. So, yeah, I'll pay that for a bad a$$ mal figure.

Seriously, this is the very top item on my wish list, and if this happens, and at that price, Oh man, I could retire from this hobby, more then happy. (though I will probably still collect a few thing after I buy one o these.....maybe.)
jason1976
Browncoat

Postby RobStyle » Sat May 17, 2014 7:04 am

late Q3, of what year?
RobStyle
Independent Soldier

Postby Badger » Sat May 17, 2014 8:14 am

Last year!

:)

Badger
I said I'd do my best. I didn't say it would be any good.
Badger
The one and only Badger

Postby Joatrash » Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm

I have to say that this piece looks really well done. Almost bordering on HT quality (but not quite... because... well... those guys are insanely talented). I swore a few years ago to not ever buy any more figures (and sold the few I had) or scale models, but gorramit this looks nice...
//jOe

My prop & costume workshop/gallery:
https://www.facebook.com/joatrashfx/
Joatrash
Browncoat

Postby Stark Resilient » Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 am

Stark Resilient
Alliance soldier

Postby taimdala » Mon May 26, 2014 5:02 pm

(With thanks to manwihtoutfear for posting the QMX pic!)

NOW THIS is Photoshoppery of decent order. Side by side comparison. QMx (left) and production still (right).

Image Image

If I had to fiddle with anything, it would be:

1. Darken the the right hand side (Mal's right) of his boots and Browncoat to match the direction of the lighting in the rest of the picture. As things stand now, everything except the figure is lit from the wrong direction. It's much easier to flip the BG photo horizontally so the shadow falls in the opposite direction to match the light on the figure. There's no text in the BG to give that trick away. Only a scary-crazy nut like me would hunt down a photo for a side by side comparison and notice the deck ring next to Mal's toe had gotten flipped to the opposite side in that case.
2. Tweak anything else that needs tweaking to hide the fact that we had to change the figure vs. background for lighting purposes.
3. I'd also warm up the light on the figure's boots just a little, for reasons stated below.

Otherwise, I rather like the job they did with it for these main reasons.

1. Viewing angle. OMG!!!! They got the viewing angle of the figure and the BG photo to damned-near MATCH!!!!! I can't tell you HOW MANY times this DOES NOT HAPPEN. Aside from getting the lighting angle right, this is probably the second-most frequent Photoshop sin committed. Luckily, it was avoided reasonably well here.
2. Background alteration. They had to change the ramp immediately behind his feet, because the original had a shiny plate that they couldn't replicate thanks to Mal's leg hiding half of it. They either used the spot healing tool or maybe a clone brush, but they did a wonderful job of cloning the deck so that it had the right texture, light value and viewing angle to it.
3. Grain. I think they could have backed off on the Gaussian blur in the background *just* a teense but they used a really nice gradient mask to make the blur come in gradually from the deck up. That way if the grain of the original picture doesn't match the grain of the pasted image, you won't see that it doesn't.
4. Ambient Light Temperature. In the same vein, they warmed up the ambient temperature of the BG picture a little, so it matched the figure (which was photographed under warmer colored lights). It's a subtle difference that a lot of paste jobs flat out ignore, but when it's missing you can see it right off.

Simple stuff, nothing fancy, but if manipulated well, you don't need complicated tricks to make it look good. There is so MUCH bad Photoshoppery out there that it's a crime to let the good stuff go unacknowledged. I just wanted to do so, here.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

Postby AZSneed » Mon May 26, 2014 10:40 pm

It's just a doll to play with....an EXPENSIVE doll.
AZSneed
Browncoat

Postby taimdala » Mon May 26, 2014 10:58 pm

True. A doll, of sorts. Never was one to play with dolls overmuch. I won't be buying this one. I admire the likeness of the doll though. They did a good job capturing Fillion's likeness. I know that's not normally the case with dolls like these.
"Never, never, never give in ... except to convictions of honor and good sense."
taimdala
Browncoat

PreviousNext

Return to The QMx Corner